diy solar

diy solar

Conflicting info on whether the controller and inverter come off the same battery terminals.

Precisely. He probably found a deal on something he knows enough about to realize a market for. And has learned just enough about to eek by.

Nothing wrong with that, but don't ask/rely on electrical advice from him. You need to be responsible for knowing your stuff when it comes to dealing with this kind of vendor. If he's willing to swap them, at least he seems to stand behind his product.

As for why the system cuts out, is there an inverter error to reference? Before we bother the vendor anymore, lets narrow in on that.
I don’t think the inverter records any errors. It’s not a high end inverter (reliable electric) I can tell u the inverter beeps and shuts off and the controller also shuts down and a red lights appears on it.( Epever)

That beep on the inverter and the little red light on the controller are probably codes/indicators of some error condition.

Look at the manual for each (there's probably a troubleshooting section) to identify error codes and what they mean.

Do you have a multi-meter. What is the battery voltage when this occurs?

I have a hunch about what may be happening, but I don't want to say it because I don't want to cause confusion.

I have a feeling the you have problem with Epever output Voltage has spike up.
Inverter goes into shutdown will not cause the Epever to produce error,
I have the same brand but 12V 3000W version and have been running 24/7 since late 2020.
You also already exchange the inverter but still have the same issue per your new thread below:

I have the same brand but 12V 3000W version and have been running 24/7 since late 2020.
You also already exchange the inverter but still have the same issue per your new thread below:

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid doing. If the Epever is "spiking" then its a problem with the EPEVER.

HOWEVER, if the EPEVER is simply set at a higher charge voltage than the inverter high voltage shut-off, it could be inverter cutting off because high voltage, in turn voltage spike causing EPEVER to go into high voltage shutdown.

BUT, rather than speculating, lets follow the bread crumbs and prove it. EPEVER charge voltage is adjustable. It can probably be made to work nicely with the inverter.

The
That beep on the inverter and the little red light on the controller are probably codes/indicators of some error condition.

Look at the manual for each (there's probably a troubleshooting section) to identify error codes and what they mean.

Do you have a multi-meter. What is the battery voltage when this occurs?

I have a hunch about what may be happening, but I don't want to say it because I don't want to cause confusion.
inverter beeps when batteries go under around 22v
I will keep a meter right by it so next time it happens I’ll check the bats.

Yes

This is exactly what I was trying to avoid doing. If the Epever is "spiking" then its a problem with the EPEVER.

HOWEVER, if the EPEVER is simply set at a higher charge voltage than the inverter high voltage shut-off, it could be inverter cutting off because high voltage, in turn voltage spike causing EPEVER to go into high voltage shutdown.

BUT, rather than speculating, lets follow the bread crumbs and prove it. EPEVER charge voltage is adjustable. It can probably be made to work nicely with the inverter.
Ok let’s go,
What do I do?

The

inverter beeps when batteries go under around 22v
I will keep a meter right by it so next time it happens I’ll check the bats.
Mine also beeps and goes into shutdown if it sees too high input Voltage, 15V for my 12V unit, yours will be around 30V.

Mine also beeps and goes into shutdown if it sees too high input Voltage, 15V for my 12V unit, yours will be around 30V.
So if it hit 30v and the inverter shuts down and beeps would that cause a error in the controller too? Because when it happens the controller also registers a error cause the red light comes on on controller.

So if it hit 30v and the inverter shuts down and beeps would that cause a error in the controller too? Because when it happens the controller also registers a error cause the red light comes on on controller.
If the inverter shutting down causes scc to see a voltage spike, then yes. This is speculation at the moment. Follow the bread crumbs and refer to the SCC manual to decipher what the red light means.

Out of nowhere happened theee times so far today, from what I saw the inverter did NOT shut off. But I do lose power for a second. The scc book says red slowly blinking is full battery over voltage.

But the epever does not say it beeps. And I know the inverter does beep just like that. When it happens it beeps. They are too close to tell which one the beep comes from. Now I have to look up if the epever beeps for errors.
But now I’m thinking the inverter is shutting off its just so fast I see no evidence on the lcd by the time I get there.
Should I lower the maximum charge on the parameters?

Out of nowhere happened theee times so far today, from what I saw the inverter did NOT shut off. But I do lose power for a second. The scc book says red slowly blinking is full battery over voltage.
Did you measure the battery voltage with your meter like you said you would?

If you lost power, then either the inverter lost connection to the batteries or the inverter shut down.

Seconds before it happened my enail started acting strange. The temp on it threw up a error code then started fluctuating in temp.
Enail is a device to heat something with a digital temp screen.

dabbing rig? Anyway, based on this minutia of detail, it's really hard to say. When this happens is there a heavy load on the inverter? Does it only happen when the SCC is being pushed hard? Could it be a specific load or combination of loads? For instance, multiple surge loads starting at the same time? TBH, I'm inclined to lean toward blaming the inverter, but there's really no evidence. In fact, if we went purely on evidence, the perception would be a relation to the charge controller.

I imagine that enail (if its a dabbing rig) is a fairly heavy resistive load. What's its watt rating?

I suspect you may be pushing a cheap inverter to its limits. Wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts on the matter.

Yes rig. Dab rig barely uses anything 60watts or so.
No heavy load at all.
And it only happens under full sun and batteries floating at their peak 29.2 or so. And I have seen it get to 29.9.

I wonder if its trying to do equalization and thats taking the battery over the inverter's limit. You could try disabling equalization to see if that solves the problem.

diy solar

diy solar
Back