diy solar

diy solar

Confused, Lost and which way to go?

BWilliamson

I want around 5kwh to run, not quite daily, it's for a shed/office. I'm in FL, so getting that daily shouldn't be a big issue.
I want to make it portable, so if we get a storm I can take it over to the house

Want to do it as cost effective as possible, but scouring the internet for battery types, sizes etc is exhausting!
I don't mind building with cells, but that search is exhausting as well.

Not only that but do I go... 12, 24 or even a 48v system???
Just curious if there's a resource or if anyone can give their 2 cents on what's worked best for them... or a where to start

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dazed and Confused

I want around 5kwh to run, not quite daily, it's for a shed/office.
Want to do it as cost effective as possible,
Buying 5kWh from the grid is usually going to be the most cost effective power source.

Were you considering solar or ?? There are reasons other than cost effectiveness to get into solar.

The simplest system would be a dolly build. A 3Kw AIO inverter with a power strip mounted or an RV type plug to feed the breaker panel in the shed. to a hand truck with a rack mount battery is simple and mobile. If it's a shed/office I'm guessing you don't need 240v split phase or anything fancy like that.

You'll need at least 1200w of solar panels mounted out on the ground to feed that system, but more is better. A ground mount array can just be wired to a plug so you can disconnect the cart when it needs to move.

I want to make it portable, so if we get a storm I can take it over to the house
Hand truck or garden cart build - there are lots on this forum (I have one!, so does Rednecktec)
I don't mind building with cells, but that search is exhausting as well.
Cells from 18650 store in Atlanta
Not only that but do I go... 12, 24 or even a 48v system???
You may be able to use 24v or 48v - it will depend on the peak loads. if there is any chance you will expand the system in the future just go with 48v right out of the gate.
Will this system be running A/C (garden office in Florida...sounds like it may get hot)
you need to pick an inverter that can start and run the loads you have planned.

You could build your system without any PV panels - to start - add them later.
charge up from grid each night and roll it over to the office for the day, roll it back at the end of the day.
or you can build the PV part right away, and only roll the cart over to the house if there is a power outage/storm on the horizon.

Buying 5kWh from the grid is usually going to be the most cost effective power source.

Were you considering solar or ?? There are reasons other than cost effectiveness to get into solar.
I'd like solar backup for the house. Doesn't have to run the whole house but here in FL in case of storms and outages. So I figured why not built it for the shed, make it portable to take over to the house if necessary.

Hand truck or garden cart build - there are lots on this forum (I have one!, so does Rednecktec)

Cells from 18650 store in Atlanta

You may be able to use 24v or 48v - it will depend on the peak loads. if there is any chance you will expand the system in the future just go with 48v right out of the gate.
Will this system be running A/C (garden office in Florida...sounds like it may get hot)
you need to pick an inverter that can start and run the loads you have planned.

You could build your system without any PV panels - to start - add them later.
charge up from grid each night and roll it over to the office for the day, roll it back at the end of the day.
or you can build the PV part right away, and only roll the cart over to the house if there is a power outage/storm on the horizon.
I'm planning on AC for the shed. I'd love to do that with solar, but depends on that load and wether I start right off the bat with that, or build the system up to that

Some of the small mini splits may be an option, lower energy consumption and will give you heat or cool depending on the season.

Back