diy solar

diy solar

Consumer Nuclear Batteries Goodbye Solar and Lithium?

The stuff works by radioactive decay, and exponential curve.
It is always putting out full power. Not scalable to what you want, good for clocks or space probe.

Need controllable chain reaction to respond to varying load.
Naval reactors are run that way, while many (most? all?) utility nuclear plans are operated supply steady base load.

I'm waiting for the one that comes in a 20ft Conex box with terminals and outlets on the end.

Aaaannyy day now, right? :unsure:
Not sure how many you could pack in a conex. She never gives the actual dimensions. If they are a half inch Sq by 1/8 high. It would make a watt per cu ft. Have plenty of solder on hand.

I'd want double-use out of it, for the expected high price ... in addition to electricity, I'd pull a "Martian" (Hot Stuff, Baby), and warm the car space with it.

Void your warranty ... open it up!

Yes, exponential decay, half life etc.

Residential units grid-tied could export power continuously.
After PG&E gets through with time of use rates, you'll want to add lithium batteries.
But the power density and cost likely won't be viable.

Some larger scale and generator based system might be, if it weren't for the need to secure hazardous material.

I was thinking of "nuclear pile", but the first one was only 1/2 watt. Further down, "Site A" was a few kW. But huge.

Perhaps something more advanced could be.
An application for repurposing decommissioned warheads? Develop the feedback and control mechanism by trial and error.

After PG&E gets through with time of use rates, you'll want to add lithium batteries.
? facts!
I was thinking more of 3d printed blocks of manageable size perhaps under basement or slab floors or under residential streets. With Beta it wouldn't be more dangerous than radon gas. Maybe it could happen sooner than 3d printing lunar or martian habitats out of regolith. ?

Back