diy solar

diy solar

cost for PV labor install only

moonlight23

I'm contracting a local solar company to install solar panels only because I'm not ably to physically hold one and climb up a ladder doing this solo. I picked larger higher wattage panels thinking less panels means lower install cost, but they still charge by cost per watts at 0.$70. I'm purchasing all material, mounting inverter and hooking up everything myself.

Is $0.70/watt a fair price for labor-only to install PV? Other local companies won't even consider this, I'd have to buy their equipment.

.7 X 400 is $280 for a single panel?

That doesn’t sound right.

I’d stop. Don’t sign anything.

When I was going to do this I was quoted .50 a watt but this was a couple of years ago.

Seems reasonable to me. As an employer myself, I recognize the cost of (good) labor these days is through the roof. Employees have the leverage. I would always advise people not to contract a job if they can’t afford to pay for the best contractors they can find. It’s way cheaper in the long run.

I've been packing panels up on my roof for the last two days. My back hurts, but I still wouldn't pay that much.
That said, I understand that you can't do it yourself. So, you're at the mercy of whomever you can find. Which isn't easy, if you purchased the equipment somewhere else.

For me that price is more than the panels themselves, but If it includes a racking system, then that's probably about right. if you're providing the racking system, seems quite steep.
.7 X 400 is $280 for a single panel?

That doesn’t sound right.

Yes this is PV labor only, I'd be purchasing all hardware, and also permit costs.

I was initially going with large 450w panels, which comes out to $315 for labor per panel. Since this is a relatively large 15kw system, I asked if cost scales better with larger system but they said it's just a flat rate $0.70/watt regardless of size. They're willing to help me get a discount on the sol-ark 15k inverter though.

I've been packing panels up on my roof for the last two days. My back hurts, but I still wouldn't pay that much.
That said, I understand that you can't do it yourself. So, you're at the mercy of whomever you can find. Which isn't easy, if you purchased the equipment somewhere else.

I have no other benchmarks to compare to in this area (southern California), all other companies wants to do it from start to finish.

Maybe I just need to go to the gym more ?

Hire some neighbor kids, and you can supervise.
Assuming you can find any willing to do physical labor. And pull themselves away from the computer.

Hire some neighbor kids, and you can supervise.
Assuming you can find any willing to do physical labor. And pull themselves away from the computer.
NO! NO! NO! unless you've taken out a 5 million dollar contractor's liability policy. Getting somebody to help you "on the side" makes you a General Contractor" and your home owners insurance won't cover it. Roofers have the highest workers comp insurance of all the trades. Seems falling off a roof is quite common even for those doing it every day

What you didn't mention is the height and pitch of the roof Mine is 8/12 so needed to be tied off

Would make me reconsider the whole deal. Maybe take a craigslist ad for an installer to moonlight.

Yes this is PV labor only, I'd be purchasing all hardware, and also permit costs.

I was initially going with large 450w panels, which comes out to $315 for labor per panel. Since this is a relatively large 15kw system, I asked if cost scales better with larger system but they said it's just a flat rate $0.70/watt regardless of size. They're willing to help me get a discount on the sol-ark 15k inverter though.
You say for PV only but does that include installing the racking, rooftop PV combiner, wiring, etc?

Why not rent a lift with a man basket? Or a telehandler? Or even a skid loader or a tractor with a front end loader would do for single story. God created man, but it was hydraulics that made them equal.

Ask some handyman,they can do it, you can pick up some muscle men at Home Depot for help.is it two story house ?

Ask some handyman,they can do it, you can pick up some muscle men at Home Depot for help.is it two story house ?
I just realized OP is in SOCAL. Only thing I miss from there…easy to find help from the corner next to Home Depot.

Back