diy solar

diy solar

Creating an easy-to-use Battery and Inverter sizing calculator

Maybe keep the drop down of 12, 24, 36, 48 but allow the user to type whatever voltage they want in the box as well. As it advances, consider adding an average temperature box as well to compensate for capacity changes with environment.

This is a chart from the Samalex manual that usually works for me to size an inverter:

1705767192550.png
However, not many people will buy a 10 kW inverter to power a 2 kW air conditioner and opt for soft start instead.

Finding load size can be a struggle. Not all items are required to have a sticker saying wattage and loads.
=================
What I'm dealing with now is my 23 watt load trips my Victron 350 VA inverter with an overload. This is an inductive load that oscillates at 41 times a second, so 41 times a second a magnet is energized and deenergized to shake 4 LBs of rocks to polish these. So, I'm over 10 times the the inverter rating, much higher than anything on the chart, and still won't work.

There was no wattage rating available for this machine, so the 23 watts is measured from a kilawatt meter. That meter does not show peak or instantaneous loads. I suspect that 41 times a second for a fraction of that cycle, more than 350 VA is pulled, so after five to six seconds of runtime, the inverter trips.

The next size up inverter I have is 3000 watts, but hoping this 350 VA inverter would be able to run the machine.

Right sizing (Guessing) inverter size can get expensive.

Back