diy solar

diy solar

Critique please

Meeko

Hello, just finished our electric, (solar cables not hooked up to charge controller yet) , looking for someone to take a look. Ty

Attachments

• 20230210_151008.jpg
    20230210_151008.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20230210_151018.jpg
    20230210_151018.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230210_151347.jpg
    20230210_151347.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230210_151406.jpg
    20230210_151406.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 81
Is this a couple MRBF fuses? If so, what amp rating?
The fuse from DC-DC charger should be on the source/charger end as it is to protect the wire.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 2.11.38 PM.png

closest to battery terminal is 200
2000W inverter / 10V cutoff / .85 efficiency = 235A max draw

If you stress that inverter or get near its likely cutoff voltage you may blow the fuse. If suspect your wiring is rated for 200A so the fuse, which protects the wiring, would be the right size.

other is 60 going to charge controller.
I would say coming from the controller which means the fuse only protects that wire if close to the charge controller.

2000W inverter / 10V cutoff / .85 efficiency = 235A max draw

If you stress that inverter or get near its likely cutoff voltage you may blow the fuse. If suspect your wiring is rated for 200A so the fuse, which protects the wiring, would be the right size.

I would say coming from the controller which means the fuse only protects that wire if close to the charge controller.
I see the mistake on the 60 amp to the controller, it should be placed closer to the controller then to battery. I will fix that. Inverter will only be running a small water heater. 2/0 cable was used. Thank you, I'm learning.

1/2 gypsum between combustable surfaces and electrical equipment mounted

Just in case things ever develop a fault and overheat is a good fire safety measure

Or alternatively a steel or aluminum sheet bonded to ground of course as a fire break would be fine

The one closest to battery terminal is 200 the other is 60 going to charge controller.
EDIT: Looks fine. I now see the MBRF fuse located on the battery.

1676110671326.png
Am I looking at it wrong? Is the charge controller to battery unprotected but the positive busbar to the DC fusebox has the 60 amp fuse?

1/2 gypsum between combustable surfaces and electrical equipment mounted

Just in case things ever develop a fault and overheat is a good fire safety measure

Or alternatively a steel or aluminum sheet bonded to ground of course as a fire break would be fine
Good idea, I will add.

I would connect the solar charge controller to the common bus bar, not the battery. A circuit breaker between the solar charge controller and the common bus bar is recommended. Should you ever need to work on the solar charge controller or PV while the rest of the system stays powered up, you'll want that circuit breaker.

You have a common positive bus bar. It's right there between your switch and the inverter. You conveniently have an open stud to put the solar charge controller cable on.

Power from the solar charge controller will be used by your inverter. It's splitting hairs but when the solar charge controller is producing power, it has to go through the cable to the battery, then to the switch, then to the common bus bar, then to the inverter. If you attach the solar charge controller cable to the common bus bar you skip much of that. Loads will pull power from the bus bar, with the battery making up any difference.

To split hairs even further, and reveal how OCD I am, put the battery cable on one of the inner studs of the negative common bus bar and the inverter cable on the other inner stud of the same bus bar. Less resistance through the bus bar for power to flow from the battery to the inverter.

What you have isn't wrong. It will work, as long as you have the fuses at the right ends of the cable and the fuses are sized right.

If you need to work on the batteries, the way you have it, if the sun is out then a charge is still going to the battery even if you turn off the main switch. If you put the solar charge controller cable on the common bus bar then zero power is going to the batteries and you're free to disconnect the battery cables without any sparks.

That's a MRBF block, stud has no power untill a fuse is dropped in. All ready have a 200 amp fuse to inverter, and the other is a 80 amp to fuse block, the other stud is empty, because it can not exceed 300 Amps, I'm using 280 of this amps

From left to right...

Do those batteries have a smart BMS?
If not you probably want to add a shunt.
Your inverter alone can pull ~240 amps from those batteries and they are only rated for 200 continous amps aggregate.
Add the dc fuse block loads to that number and its too high for the batteries.

Rotate the battery pack 180 degrees
That way the battery terminals line up with the inverter terminals
An MRBF fuse has sufficient breaking capacity for an 12 volt lfp battery bank so you don't need a class-t fuse.
You should upgrade the battery fuse to 300amps though.

Move the mppt.positive.out circuit to the busbar.
Move the positive fused busbar to the back left corner of the surface.
Move the negative busbar to the from left corner of the surface

kirchosffs law basically says that current in = current out.
So moving the dc2dc charger to the fused positive busbar does not impact the aggregate current for the busbar.

The amp ratings for the busbar is in continuous amps
The busbar is rated for 300 amps continuous
300 amps continuous / .8 fuse headroom = 375 fuse_block amps

Each fused branch position is rated for 240 amps continuous
240 amps continuous / .8 fuse headroom = 300 fuse amps

2000 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 10 volts low cutoff = 235.294117647 continuous inverter amps

300 busbar amps - 235.294117647 inverter amps = 64.705882353 continuous fuse_block amps

You can fuse the fuse block feeder circuit as high as 75 amps with 6 awg wire
You should fuse the inverter circuit at 250 amps with 2/0 wire
You can fuse the dc2dc charger as high 60 amps with 6 awg wire.
You can fuse the wire from the starter_battery as high as 80 amps with 6 awg wire.
Put the fuse at the starter battery end of the wire.

Move the disconnect switch to the fuse_block feeder circuit.
You can disconnect the alternator by turning off the engine.
You can disconnect the pv panels with the double pole disconnect on the wall to the left of the dc2dc charger
You can disconnect the inverter using its on/off switch
You don't need a disconnect switch for the batteries because every other circuit has a means of administrative disconnect.

I would like to congratulate you on the selection of the blue sea 5196, its very well suited to the application.
Hope the negative busbar is similarly rated and similar quality.

Last edited:
To summarize the above.
Lets say your inverter and dc_fuse block can pull 300 amps.
Up to 50 amps could come from the dc2dc_charger and the balance will come from the battery.
If nothing comes from the dc2dc_charger then all current must come from the battery.
300 amps out means 300 amps in.

You have a common positive bus bar. It's right there between your switch and the inverter. You conveniently have an open stud to put the solar charge controller cable on.

Power from the solar charge controller will be used by your inverter. It's splitting hairs but when the solar charge controller is producing power, it has to go through the cable to the battery, then to the switch, then to the common bus bar, then to the inverter. If you attach the solar charge controller cable to the common bus bar you skip much of that. Loads will pull power from the bus bar, with the battery making up any difference.

To split hairs even further, and reveal how OCD I am, put the battery cable on one of the inner studs of the negative common bus bar and the inverter cable on the other inner stud of the same bus bar. Less resistance through the bus bar for power to flow from the battery to the inverter.

What you have isn't wrong. It will work, as long as you have the fuses at the right ends of the cable and the fuses are sized right.

If you need to work on the batteries, the way you have it, if the sun is out then a charge is still going to the battery even if you turn off the main switch. If you put the solar charge controller cable on the common bus bar then zero power is going to the batteries and you're free to disconnect the battery cables without any sparks.
Thank you lots to go over

Back