diy solar

diy solar

Currently have Enphase, looking for total off-grid solution (EG4 6000XP)

I meant disconnect it beforehand. You don’t need the comms to operate. There may be a comms requirement for warranty however.

You are also assuming that the microinverters will be bricked. I think the most likely worst case is they’re forced to a bad grid profile and not able to turn on.
Yes, that is my assumption. We need to start there, however unlikely that scenario.

Yes, that is my assumption. We need to start there, however unlikely that scenario.

I would start with calculating the likely loss from just air gapping the existing system and losing warranty (if that’s how it works with warranty) vs the cost of stockpiling $2000-4000 of equipment and practicing the changeout. Since you installed the Enphase initially you don’t need to practice the changeout as much as someone who hired out. If you intended to order the components just in time instead of stockpiled, it’s probably going to be tough if SHTF.

Note you also lose NEM backfeed after doing this hardware change if you follow the POCO rules.

The 90 min changeout time sounds optimistic. But you may work faster than me. You can get it very fast if you pull all DC and microinverters to under one or two panels so only those need to be lifted. Otherwise it sounds like you will need to confirm that you can reach under and disconnect without unmounting. And probably skipping RSD install to speed it up.

Is someone opening up your outside equipment and looping on a PLC to send naughty commands to brick your inverters in the threat model?

The plan is to reconnect the solar panels in series to ensure that the minimum voltage requirements of the controller are met when bypassing the Enphase system. Choose the 120/240 EG4 6000XP recommended by Will Prowse, a controller with enough capacity to meet your needs.

Back