diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS let cell voltage drop to 1.5 Volts, are the cells now toast?

What are the wires going to every cell negative?

Heltec balancer.

Also, and based on your other post, you keep looking for a wiring/construction mistake.

Everything is perfect and was done perfectly. Thanks.

Last edited:
Heltec balancer.

Also, and based on your other post, you keep looking for a wiring/construction mistake.

Everything is perfect and was done perfectly. Thanks.
It's kind of our job to point out mistakes. I like to think we've saved some lives by trying to find problems/building mistakes on this forum.

Some people might take it the wrong way, and that's fine. I'll still sleep well at night.

It's kind of our job to point out mistakes. I like to think we've saved some lives by trying to find problems/building mistakes on this forum.

Some people might take it the wrong way, and that's fine. I'll still sleep well at night.

I know that but let's make sure our critiques are possibly the cause of the issue the person is having.

No wiring mistake would allow a system to operate normally for months and then cause the shunt in the bms to read a 70 amp charge when no charge is taking place or 300 amps of charge when there is 30 amps of discharge from the system or for the discharge mosfet to not actually stop the battery from discharging.

I know that but let's make sure our critiques are possibly the cause of the issue the person is having.

No wiring mistake would allow a system to operate normally for months and then cause the shunt in the bms to read a 70 amp charge when no charge is taking place or 300 amps of charge when there is 30 amps of discharge from the system or for the discharge mosfet to not actually stop the battery from discharging.
It might not be the cause of the issue you are having right now, but it might be the cause of an issue next week? Would you rather us not say anything when there could be a very real issue?

It might not be the cause of the issue you are having right now, but it might be the cause of an issue next week? Would you rather us not say anything when there could be a very real issue?

Of course but I can't think of anything easier than wiring up a BMS and battery and adding a balancer and installing an inverter etc, in fact there is nothing even remotely challenging about it.

It's amateur stuff.

I know the “have you checked the wiring?” thing can get old, but I for one am very grateful for that question being asked so insistently. Rechecking my wiring, that I was sure was good, has solved so many problems. Obviously not always the solution for every problem, but after spending weeks trying to diagnose the issue, re-checking/tightening every single wire connection solved the problem. Just tedious. Not satisfying that sometimes I still didn’t learn where the actual issue was, but at least it got fixed.

I know the “have you checked the wiring?” thing can get old, but I for one am very grateful for that question being asked so insistently. Rechecking my wiring, that I was sure was good, has solved so many problems. Obviously not always the solution for every problem, but after spending weeks trying to diagnose the issue, re-checking/tightening every single wire connection solved the problem. Just tedious. Not satisfying that sometimes I still didn’t learn where the actual issue was, but at least it got fixed.

Yeah.

When something breaks or doesn't work right, especially after I built or put it together or even when I didn't I always "blame myself first" and go back and do that. I'm my own worst critic and QC manager, especially when it comes to comebacks. :whistle:

It's really annoying when the failure is an actual flaw with the device/part itself because it means I wasted a lot of time and life-force energy checking my work, settings, trying to gather data during intermittent failures etc etc.

First world problems.

I'm more curious about the genset autostart failure and how two rare events happened at once.

Read carefully:

The BMS was having issues when it dropped below freezing. As soon as the ChargeMos turned off due to low, the amps-in reading would go from 2 amps discharge to reading to 70 amps charging current even though no charging current was applied. I have been e-mailing back and forth with Daly, including a software update that I installed that did nothing.

So temps finally came back up but battery would not take a charge because SOC had clocked to 100%. I manually reset the BMS charge state and it would now accept charge.

I went to start the generator manually. Everything worked fine for like 10 seconds but then I noticed the generator still running but no charging and generator battery voltage very high so I logged into the camera and generator was bouncing off rev limiter. I shut it down and it wouldn't restart.

So I decided to make the drive to grab the gen and charge battery manually. When I got there I logged into the BMS and it showed the discharge MOS off due to low voltage but also the amps going was registering 300 AMPS even though no charging source was being applied to the battery.

Still following?

The generator failed because the starter pinion stuck engaged to the flywheel. Is that not clear in the photo I posted?

generator has 2000 hours. I have had a homebrew remote start on it since 2014 when I added it after buying it used which I then modified by adding an TYCON TPDIN to make it self-starting and to be able to control and monitor via computer. It 750 hours (2 years) and about 900 total starts/stops in that configuration.:cool:

Last edited:
Is that not clear in the photo I posted?
Maybe I missed in your previous post where you explained all that. Yes I have seen starters hang up on occasion. Nothing new to me. Didn't realize you had been having trouble previously with the bms. Hope it all works out...

It's really annoying when the failure is an actual flaw with the device/part itself because it means I wasted a lot of time and life-force energy checking my work

Ahemrenogyahem

Some of these devices aren’t so bad with the hardware, but the actual function, or firmware or user interface is so bad or flawed that it’s just maddening. But how long did I spend before realizing that? It was actually years. Yeah, still a first world problem though.

Last edited:
I ordered a JBD bms from Sriko on Friday. Today they canceled my order and refunded my money due to lack of stock.

18650 is also out.

Is this due to blocked shipping lanes in the middle-east?

Gonna have to go back to lead-acid for my upcoming guys weekend or run without a BMS. 🙄

Any suggestions as where to get something that can supply 120 amps (300 momentary or their abouts) before the end of the week?

Last edited:
Modified existing battery frame to fit the JK. Being less picky this time and trying to make stuff like that old positive cable work.

This isn't fun. I hate Daly now. Hopefully this JK is reliable.

Already having my doubts those puny leads can carry 150 amps. The wiring is extremely finely stranded tin copper.

Now I'm questioning my decision to crimp both cables into one connector.

Is that gonna make high resistance?

Why doesn't anyone make a BMS that just has studs or holes where you can make and attach your own cables?

20240208_182827.jpg

Some do.

I trust you'll remove those nuts before you put more cables on the main terminals... :p

The cables get retained between the two nuts (second nut still at cabin). The part behind the current nut is plastic and is only designed to hold the stud, not torque cables against.

Edit: My bad, yes. I meant to post the other photo with the nuts behind the terminals. Just did it the way shown above for fit up since the nuts and washers are at the cabin. 😢

Modified existing battery frame to fit the JK. Being less picky this time and trying to make stuff like that old positive cable work.

This isn't fun. I hate Daly now. Hopefully this JK is reliable.

Already having my doubts those puny leads can carry 150 amps. The wiring is extremely finely stranded tin copper.

Now I'm questioning my decision to crimp both cables into one connector.

Is that gonna make high resistance?

Why doesn't anyone make a BMS that just has studs or holes where you can make and attach your own cables?

View attachment 194467
looks like a pretty tidy setup to me.

Ok. Made up a new jumper cable from pos batt post to main post and made up the balance leads. All installed and torqued. Activation switch installed. Voltages are good..bms activated. Will test under load on Thursday when back at cabin. 20240213_082838.jpg

Just taped and coiled the remaining unused balanced leads and heat shrunk the ends together and zip-tied.
20240213_082900.jpg

Back