diy solar

diy solar

Daly BMS, RS485 connection to a Growatt inverter

I'm also interested in your solutions,

I will give it a try using solar assistant and will keep you updated.

Also very interested in this, maybe a PCB could be made to function as a gateway between growatt protocol and other BMS protocols.

Hello, I am currently starting to make a "translator" for daly smart bms to be able to communicate with a growatt inverter by emulating a pylontech lfp battery. If anyone has been able to identify what the inverter asks when switching to Li mode, I would like to help. I am not an expert programmer but I have good standard knowledge.

A total lack of standardization is the root of all evil. LOL!! Facing the same hurdle trying to connect my VNSZNR (Daly knockoff) BMS to my Growatt 6000. At least the Growatt manual clearly indicates the pin positions for both RS485 and CAN protocols. The BMS doesn't even have an RJ45 connection. Its com port is a 5-pin micro mini JST?? plug and there is NO indication of the pin assignments for either protocol. To make matters worse, neither Daly nor VNSZNR publish the specific pin assignments anywhere that I can find. I'll obviously have to build a custom cable with 5 pin micro mini on one end and RJ45 on the other. IF ANYONE knows the pin assignments on the BMS and has time to build a "plug and play" coms cable for this application, well... let's just say there is a serious market gap for such an item. Any help in accomplishing this goal is greatly appreciated.

does this help?

Be careful the serial port having RX/TX/GND needs a UART>RS485 converter because the hardware communication RS485 is 2 wire half duplex with termination resistor and different voltage compared with UART (0-5V logic, full duplex)

Hello, I am currently starting to make a "translator" for daly smart bms to be able to communicate with a growatt inverter by emulating a pylontech lfp battery. If anyone has been able to identify what the inverter asks when switching to Li mode, I would like to help. I am not an expert programmer but I have good standard knowledge.
Any progress for your translator ?

I'm want to get my Growatt spf3500es to communicate with JK bms, it has rs485 mini pin socket on the bms and inverter has rj45 rs485 port, I just bought a jk rs485 adapter with a little box and 3 wires coming out. One is ground, would the other 2 be tx & rx? ?‍♂️ im new to this but would like the inverter to know the battery SOC instead of assuming it from the set charge & float voltages. I have no idea what protocol is used and if the inverter will support it but if its safe to connect the wires ill be happy to go through the protocols one by one.

Hi There,

Would like to report success in connecting Daly BMS 200A to Growatt SPF 5000ES inverter. Here are the key working settings:

• Daly BMS 200A hardware version BMS-ST103-309E / Firmware updated to DalyBmsApp_103_309(11_221213_INVT).s19
  • Growatt SPF 5000es - 2ng gen comm board / Firmware updated to 067.02.F03/068.E2.b05
  • Daly BMS connections settings to PYLON - RS485
  • Ethernet cable connected to rs485 port and Growatt "BMS" port
    • Pinout for RJ45 port is Pin1 = RS485 B and Pin2 = RS485 A - note it is standard rj45 pinout. I understand the pictures in Growatt manual led me to connect it initially wrong, to pins 7-8, which does not work. Follow this pinout here and you should be good: RJ45 pinout
  • Finally Growatt Battery settings (05) to "Li" and Protocol (36) to "04"

Additionally, the disclaimer and some comments:
  • I updated both Dalybms and Growatt firmware for different reasons. Have never tried to connect it before, therefore it might be possible that early versions of both firmwares actually work.
  • Upgrading firmware is a risky process. You need to have some knowledge and know what your are doing before even thinking about doing it. You can get injured, brick your devices and also possible that they catch on fire depending of what you are doing. I'd say if you never did that, there's 50% chances of something going wrong, another 50% of chances it might not be fixable after it went wrong. Do it at your own risk! I take no responsibility at all.
  • Both Growatt and Daly has different hardware versions that require different firmware. AFAIK, Daly has 4 and Growatt has 3 different hardware types.
  • Tried also with Daly settings to "Growat" and RS485, Growatt inverter works in protocol 01 and 04 but i could not get rid of Err04. the Err04 only went away with Pylon protocol.
  • I was able to gain access to battery SOC in growatt and control charge/discharge watermarks at the inverter. I am not sure if any other functionality is enabled in both Daly and Growatt.
  • Got it working today, so will post if i learn something new from it.
  • When i was testing protocol settings , i learned every time you change Growatt battery protocol settings it takes 10-15 seconds to actually change the protocol. So, after you setup everything and connect the battery to BMS port, it will take around 10-20 seconds for the inverter to talk to the battery. If everything went well, you'll able to see SOC matching Daly BMS and no error code at the inverter.
  • Also you see a small "LI" symbol on the bottom right of your battery icon in growatt display. if it is solid on, not flashing it means the inverter has established connection with BMS

Happy to detail it more and answer doubts at the limit of my knowledge. Cheers, Tabascoz

Last edited:
If you like to read all data via CAN or RS485 (and send them to an inverter or MQTT or just monitor each cell in multiple battery packs on an included webserver) you should have a look at:

https://github.com/ai-republic/bms-to-inverter

This code supports many BMSes like DALY, JK, Seplos and any PylonTech via CAN or RS485 and also communication to many inverters. Worth looking into it! Uses a Raspberry PI (or any Linux machine).

Here is a post giving more details.

Hi There,

Would like to report success in connecting Daly BMS 200A to Growatt SPF 5000ES inverter. Here are the key working settings:

• Daly BMS 200A hardware version BMS-ST103-309E / Firmware updated to DalyBmsApp_103_309(11_221213_INVT).s19
  • Growatt SPF 5000es - 2ng gen comm board / Firmware updated to 067.02.F03/068.E2.b05
  • Daly BMS connections settings to PYLON - RS485
  • Ethernet cable connected to rs485 port and Growatt "BMS" port
    • Pinout for RJ45 port is Pin1 = RS485 B and Pin2 = RS485 A - note it is standard rj45 pinout. I understand the pictures in Growatt manual led me to connect it initially wrong, to pins 7-8, which does not work. Follow this pinout here and you should be good: RJ45 pinout
  • Finally Growatt Battery settings (05) to "Li" and Protocol (36) to "04"

Additionally, the disclaimer and some comments:
  • I updated both Dalybms and Growatt firmware for different reasons. Have never tried to connect it before, therefore it might be possible that early versions of both firmwares actually work.
  • Upgrading firmware is a risky process. You need to have some knowledge and know what your are doing before even thinking about doing it. You can get injured, brick your devices and also possible that they catch on fire depending of what you are doing. I'd say if you never did that, there's 50% chances of something going wrong, another 50% of chances it might not be fixable after it went wrong. Do it at your own risk! I take no responsibility at all.
  • Both Growatt and Daly has different hardware versions that require different firmware. AFAIK, Daly has 4 and Growatt has 3 different hardware types.
  • Tried also with Daly settings to "Growat" and RS485, Growatt inverter works in protocol 01 and 04 but i could not get rid of Err04. the Err04 only went away with Pylon protocol.
  • I was able to gain access to battery SOC in growatt and control charge/discharge watermarks at the inverter. I am not sure if any other functionality is enabled in both Daly and Growatt.
  • Got it working today, so will post if i learn something new from it.
  • When i was testing protocol settings , i learned every time you change Growatt battery protocol settings it takes 10-15 seconds to actually change the protocol. So, after you setup everything and connect the battery to BMS port, it will take around 10-20 seconds for the inverter to talk to the battery. If everything went well, you'll able to see SOC matching Daly BMS and no error code at the inverter.
  • Also you see a small "LI" symbol on the bottom right of your battery icon in growatt display. if it is solid on, not flashing it means the inverter has established connection with BMS

Happy to detail it more and answer doubts at the limit of my knowledge. Cheers, Tabascoz
Hi there

I'm busy with exactly the situation above but I ran into an unexpected problem.

The Daly interfaces, both android app and pc master, do not allow me to change the inverter protocol setting on the BMS. So i cant select Growatt or Pylon. It is already on RS485 by default.

I dont know if it was going to work because i didnt mess with firmware but i'll never know if i cant pass this step. Even if i buy the parallel interface board i'll need to do this.

I have sent a support request to DALY but am not going to hold my breath for a response

thanks in advance

Steve

Did Daly sell you a BMS where RS485 and/or CAN was specifically enabled? Because on many sales platforms they advertise that it supports RS485 and/or CAN but you need to contact them during sales process to actually received an 'enabled' one. Otherwise they usually sell only the UART version. Getting the parallel (WNT) board will not help at all if the BMS is not RS485/CAN enabled. It simply lacks the hardware. I had the same issue and discussions with Daly and ended up buying new 'enabled' versions.

You can use this application though, even if you don't have the RS485 working:
https://github.com/ai-republic/bms-to-inverter
Basically you can get any BMS talking to any Inverter!

I initially developed this for my personal use, because I had the same problem getting the Daly's communicating to my SMA SI.
But the application has grown a lot and made many people happy to get their BMSes working with their Inverter. Even multiple and various BMSes together.

I just finished helping some people getting their Pylon Powercube connected to their Growatt HV SPF and SPH inverters.

@Steve621 I was never able to change protocol in mobile app. Had to connect it to the computer and change with PCMaster.

@TolSol very valid observation. Indeed, i asked Daly to have RS485 enabled on the two devices and i remember reading somewhere that some boards with dean connectors (even when not asked) actually work, and the opposite also, some boards with the connectors that didn't work.

My suggestion is to check with Daly, if not possible, buy some RS485 cheap usb pen on Ali and try to connect them. I believe PCMaster works with any setting there. If you can connect, is a good indication that it would work wtih the inverter.

This project BMS-to_inverter looks promising, that was actually my plan B, and might become a plan A as i have two battery banks and my growatt inverter is only able to read one bank - in my HA i average both SOC values, but sometimes they diverge and the inverters only considers one. Would be nice to have a solution that could average them and manage the banks - not sure ( don't belive ) the parallel board could do this, but surely i could modify BMS-to_inverter code to do it.

Back