diy solar

diy solar

Daly Li-ion 7S BMS question with Growatt 24 volt 3 KW Inverter

keydiver

I built one of Will's 24 volt systems, using the Epever charge controller and Giandel inverter, and it works great with the LG Chem 7S NMC batteries I bought from Battery Hookup. I decided to build another one, to loan to friends after a hurricane here in south Florida, but decided to try one of the 3KW Growatt units instead. I have all the parts on order, and they are starting to trickle in, but I have noticed 2 issues with the Growatt:
1) It has no temperature probe for charge voltage compensation.
2) The maximum charge voltage is 29.2 volts.
The first problem I can probably live with, but the issue that concerns me is with the Daly BMS, which has a 4.18 VDC "Balance detect voltage". That 4.18 volt per cell X 7 = 29.26 VDC, which is higher than the highest Growatt charge setting. Does that mean that the BMS will never top balance the cells, or am I misunderstanding the Daly datasheet? As I said, I could live with 29.2 volt bulk charge, which is 4.17 volts per cell, as I don't want to charge and store them at 100% anyway, but not if the cells are never going to balance.
What really confuses me is that the Daly datasheet also lists the "Balance Release Voltage" as 4.18 volts per cell, which means I must not actually understand how/when the Daly BMS does the balancing.

Back