diy solar

diy solar

Damage to LiFePO4 battery during short-term moderately freezing temps???

Impatient

Please point me to appropriate thread if this already discussed. I didn’t see it in cursory search.

I have a camper van with single 100AH Battleborn LiFePO connected to things thru a Victron 100/20 MPPT Controller (which you can connect load through as well). It’s warm here now, but we’ve had some cold weather. Today I tried to hook to load, and things did not go well.

im in DFW Texas area, and the van has been more or less been parked for last couple months…with sporadic local use on warmer days. yes, by our standards it got cold this winter. We had a couple of stretches where temps got down to 20F at worst. It stayed below 32F freezing for maybe 72 hrs one time, and at least 48 hrs the 2nd time. I have switches controlling battery connections to solar and connection to loads. Throughout these “cold spells,“ I wasn’t staying in the van nor using any power, so I had the switches connecting the battery to solar disconnected, and loads disconnected as well…so it was just sitting there. On warmer days in between, and since then, I flipped the switches on and checked on the battery status. Today, for instance, it was mid 70’s. The Victron app showed reasonable voltage, and nearly immediately, the Victron went from Bulk to Absorption, and shortly thereafter to Float, at which point the battery‘s BMS shuts charging amperage down to zero. This was consistent with all recent checks. Today though, I thought I would pump up some tires with Walmart portable compressor attached to this “house power” (via 12v “cigarette lighter-type ports). The Battleborn couldn’t even kickstart the small 12v portable compressor. Voltage dropped to <5volts, and the compressor struggled to churn. Disconnect the compressor, and voltage rebounds to mid13’s (Also connected to solar at this point). Again, almost immediately, voltage ramps back up, and controller switches to Absorption, and then in a few moments at 14.4v to Float. Try the load again, and again, it fails. This compressor also has an incandescent light. The battery will power it, usually. Once or twice, the compressor even cranked up feebly as voltage recovered to ~11.5v. I also have an AGM battery string. When I flip the load switch to use that string‘s power, the compressor operates normally (robustly).

so given that there was NO attempted charging while below 32F, and no load either, shouldn’t the Battleborn, with its “superior BMS,” have cruised through this cold snap? The AGM’s did.

Anyone have a guess what could be the issue? The solar charging seems to work, works normally if channeled to the AGM string, and when channeled to the LiFePO, gets it to float quickly. The two strings are isolated. The switches assure the two strings are not connected to each other (well, the negatives are all ultimately connected to the chassis). During the cold spells, with batteries disconnected from loads and solar, the Victron was also “depowered.”

I’ll call Battleborn Monday or Tuesday, but thought I would check here as well. I’ve had this basic setup for ~5 yrs, though it was only last spring that the Battleborn replaced a pre-existing AGM, and the Victron replaced a Morningstar PWM. It worked (with Battleborn and Victron) all summer 2022 while I lived aboard “off-grid.”.

my hunch is the Battleborn BMS is experiencing a “hiccup,” but maybe something else. I guess I’m wondering if anyone has seen this Battleborn behavior before…or similar from any other LiFePO drop-in battery.

The temperatures that the battery was exposed to should not hurt that battery at all with no charging or discharge
you may have a cell way out of balance or a bad bms

Is there a way to rectify? Or test? I might be able to discharge slowly (low draw), then recharge. Would that trick the BMS into allowing it to charge? I have assumed the BB BMS overrides anything the Victron tries to do to it (charge, discharge), but my switches disconnect the battery from solar controller, and the battery from loads (redundant info from original post). Reconnect now that it’s warm, and AGM works as expected, the new BB is what’s wonking out. (More redundant info)

Last edited:
I have a camper van with single 100AH Battleborn LiFePO connected to things thru a Victron 100/20 MPPT Controller (which you can connect load through as well). It’s warm here now, but we’ve had some cold weather. Today I tried to hook to load, and things did not go well.
Your Victron is not really designed to have loads pulled from the load ports. It is primarily a solar charge controller. I would not subject my quality SCC to handling loads.

Why are you not hooking your loads to your battery? Batteries are made for this.

How big of a load were you trying to pull thru your SCC? Does your manual say what the max load it can handle from the load port?

I doubt that’s the problem. Everything (Victron included) worked fine today when the AGM batteries are “switched” in.

The compressor may surge to 10-11a at startup, then settles into 5a. The Victron should be able to handle that. I’m sure I checked it’s load capacity when I bought the Victron a year ago. Besides, it (the Victron) has withstood this sort of thing regularly all spring/summer/fall.

Just checked: per manual, continuous load current: 20a…hence the model number 100/20. Again, it works today with switches set to utilize the AGM string, has worked quite well for months utilizing the LiFePO, can switch back and forth between strings, but the LiPO didn’t work properly today.

again, is there a way to test a built-in Battleborn BMS? Tomorrow I can try a slow (~3a or so) discharge, to see if that will prevent the BMS from going into float so quickly and shutting down all charging.

i suppose the slight freezing episode could have wonked out the Victron, but then, wouldn’t it stay wonked switching to the AGM’s? Again, it works fine with the AGM.

Last edited:
The compressor may surge to 10-11a at startup, then settles into 5a.
Is that 10-11A thru an inverter at 120Vac? Is this a pure sine wave inverter? If not, that might be worth exploring further.

11A x 120V x .85 inverter efficiency = 1553W
1553W / 12.8V = 121A
with single 100AH Battleborn
Is this the max current in your Battleborn before the BMS cuts out?

>>Our 100 Ah 12 V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle battery has a life expectancy of 3000-5000 cycles* with a 100 Amp Continuous current, 200 Amp Surge Current (30 seconds), and ½ second surge for higher loads.
>>

"Sounds" like the BB should handle it.
But i would NEVER EVER try this thru an SCC.

I didn’t catch that he was running it thru his scc aux power port
A compressor is a heavy load for the scc aux port
try the compressor hooked directly to the battery

guys, this is a cheap little portable tire inflator you plug into a cigarette lighter. So maybe 130watt startup surge, followed by 60watt continuous. I guess I shouldn’t have called it a compressor. It presents a very small 12v load. I’ve used this “compressor“ 5-6 times this year off house power with no issue, though I can’t remember which battery string. And maybe used it pre-Battleborn pre-Victron 20-30 times. My loads went through the Morningstar before replacing it with the Victron. There is no inverter. The switches and wiring and fuses are of adequate capacity. I’ve had this setup for years, I just upgraded one AGM string to “Cadillac” LiFePO and a 15a Morningstar ProStar to the 20a Victron.

the Battleborn is rated at least 50a discharge, maybe 100.

I honestly think this is a BMS issue (or cell balance????, which again would be a BMS issue), probably brought on turning everything off for the cold weather spell. By the way, it’s possible it didn’t even freeze inside the van, though wouldn’t swear by that. The battery is way too new to be having this problem, but then, sh*t happens. I will recheck all connections tomorrow, but why would the victron go into absorption, then float, and why would the BMS shut float charging current to zero (which I’ve come to expect as normal) if the LiFePO battery weren’t full?

Last edited:
Storing LFP in freezing conditions is no problem. Nothing wrong with that.

Also the self discharge of LFP is very low to non-existent. So the charging after the storage period is very short. And this is confirmed by you. It flips from bulk to absorption then float quickly.

Most likely the problem is with the BB. Either the cells or the BMS or connections inside the battery.
Contact BB for warranty is my best advice.

Did some further testing. Resting voltage of the BattleBorn is ~13.3v, which is way too low, right? Turn on an incandescent bulb contained in the tire inflater (aka “compressor”), voltage drops to 12.0 or less, but light comes on. Turn the light off, attempt to start the inflater pump, nothing, pump does not cycle. Try to turn light on (with pump switch on, light won’t even come on, until pump switched off, and light switch cycled off-on. I had to run some errands, and didn’t write anything of this down but I think the voltage drops below 10, maybe below 6 With pump attempt. Repeat pump test with solar connected, pump cranks up, but not quite as robustly as with the AGM battery. Probably getting 3 amps (@ 14v) post MPPT conversion from solar. Shut all down, switch solar back on, BB appears to begin taking charge, but within seconds, voltage rises to over 14 (controller passes into absorption at 14.4), then almost instantly to float, at which point controller throttles voltage to 13.6x, but battery BMS apparently takes charge amperage down to 0.0.

more testing (or repeat testing), testing with Klein DC multimeter from ~ 3 ft from battery on 6 gauge wire, results as above, but the victron is not in the loop this time (It’s downstream). Reasonable multimeter results pretty much match results reported by the Victron app…which can report load draw, thanks to loads being attached to the controller ? (Victron Smart MPPT 100-20).

separate discussion, I’m sure, but was curious why I got jumped on so hard for running loads thru the SCC…this model is clearly intended to be run that way. Obviously, if any inverter use, or loads near or above 20amp, I would run differently…but so far, I’m working with low amperage’s well within the Victron’s rated capacity.

Most scc have a low power port not designed to run anything with any load larger than a light bulb or cell phone charger not knowing that the victron unit has a higher capacity, as long as your with in victrons specs no problem it’s just not the common system layout that most of us are doing

There has to be a bad connection in the system and under a load the voltage drops drastically it could even be in the battery wiring or buss work between cells

If it were me that’s the next thing I would checkout can you replace the battle born with a different battery and test you system if it works like normal then it’s the battery

Reactions: Zwy
i thought I mentioned I switched to my AGM string, and everything worked as normal. Phone call into Battleborn…LVM.

By just switching banks doesn’t test the main lines coming from the battle born unless you removed the cables from the battle born and hook a battery at that point just to be sure

Reactions: Zwy
I spoke to BattleBorn, I have a few more tests to run tonight / tomorrow, but they seemed to acknowledge this could well be a problem with their battery.

I think its most likely is a battery problem also something loose or bms malfunction keep us posted on the final outcome

By just switching banks doesn’t test the main lines coming from the battle born unless you removed the cables from the battle born and hook a battery at that point just to be sure
Well, too much trouble to prove, but I think it does...or next best thing. There is a DPDT switch in my setup: either the BB is connected to the controller, or the AGM is…it’s one or the other. I’ve tested things on the battery side of that switch. At this point, I think the only thing I haven’t proven or disproven, is a loose connection right at the BB terminal. We’ll know that for sure tomorrow when I remove some drawers the battery is behind. PITA.

I’m thankful BattleBorn is even talking to me; but it’s too bad we (me & BB) are even having to have this discussion…and that I am having to tear out a set of drawers to reach the battery…but you gotta use every cubic inch in a camper van.

Back