diy solar

diy solar

DC- DC

liltex

The shortest run to connect the house battery to the starter batteries is under the floor, about 20'
I have 1xs in all the valleys except where the pos. cable will be. 1/2" insulation then plywood sub floor.
Any problems with this route?
Will 2/0 wire be good?

The expected maximum current flow is what you need to add into the mix when working out the wire gauge. Your layout comes into play too. Can you draw up a diagram of the distances between your batteries, the placement of the DC-DC charger, etc?

I planned on running the cable straight back out of the driver's seat pedestal ( tranist) to about mid floor then straight across to the passenger side and back to the top of the wheel well, about 20', I'll have my 2 200ah batteries in a box atop the wheelwell. They'll be a piece of plywood on the wall right there under the bed with the DC-DC, inverter and all the electrical. Sorry, I'm computer illiterate

Do you know the amps that the DC-DC charger will be supplying to the batteries during charge? Are the batteries in parallel for 12v or series for 24v? Is your vehicle's battery 12v or 24v?

I don't know the amps the charger will be pushing, dual starter batteries in 12v, heavy duty alternator, the house batteries will also be in 12v. I haven't started any of the solar system yet. I've insulated and working on the floor now, then I plan on putting the bed in, then solar, trying to get at least the floor and bed in by spring.

That's the rub unfortunately. Without knowing the current you expect to put into the battery any cabling you run will be a pot luck guess. It might be expensive overkill, or it might not be rated high enough resulting in overheating etc.

Do you have a particular DC-DC charger in mind? The manufacturer's web page will likely tell us its capabilities.

I have same kind of run. Down from bay along frame about 20ft. It had an 8awg and I simply added 4awg welding wire. Amp clamping from alternator to coach batteries with 20a flow theres very small current difference and I want to say about 1/10th of a volt drop. So im guestimating 2awg (not 2/0... thats enormous) is fine up to 40-50a.

Back