diy solar

diy solar

DC Quick Disconnect Switch Recommendation

I am looking for a Solar PV DC Quick Disconnect Switch
and the only model that I can find is the AIMS Power PV array DC Isolator.

The only issue that I have with this device is the 32A limitation both
- from the use of MC4 connectors.​
- but also fromthe internal DC switch rated IEC 60947 1600V DC 32A.​

I plan to use PVs with 50V Voc and 12A Imp in a 4P-3S array, so theoricaly I could get a the total of 48A Imp.

Do you have any recommendation for a Solar PV DC Quick Disconnect Switch
- providing AWG #8 or #6 connections​
- and rated at least 50A DC?​
AIMS DC Isolator (front) .jpg

AIMS DC Isolator (side) .jpg

Last edited:
I'm using DC breakers to disconnect my PV input of 35a.

This switch looks promising. It seems the panel mount version is difficult to find a box to mount it in. This is the DIN mount version.

Jonsson 50A 1500V DC Isolator Switch for Solar Applications (DIN Rail Mount, Lockable) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0844X1C31/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_TFBCYJWK86WQERTJNZS8?psc=1
I was looking at this DC Switch BYSS 1-50 made by Zhejiang Benyi Electrical
but I was looking at the dual DC Switch BYSS 2-50
However I could not find a distributor for it in the US.

Note: The Specification is 50A at 750V DC and 30A at 1000V DC.

BYSS 1-50  .jpgBYSS 2-50  .jpg50A at 750V DC - 30A at 1000V DC .jpg

Last edited:
I use a Blue Sea battery switch. M-6010. I switch the panels after a combiner, and battery before the controller, with one throw.

My importer bought a WRONG ATS for me, so he gave this free of charge.
The contacts are really solid: large flat contact area, 4 poles, and I was wondering if I could use this as a DC Disconnect by turning that RED dial.
1654889451061.png

Likewise, I could rewire the internals and use the solenoids as a smart disconnect (ie SCC Voltage >70V).

What are your thoughts? Good idea? Bad Idea?

I am looking for a Solar PV DC Quick Disconnect Switch
and the only model that I can find is the AIMS Power PV array DC Isolator.

The only issue that I have with this device is the 32A limitation both
- from the use of MC4 connectors.​
- but also fromthe internal DC switch rated IEC 60947 1600V DC 32A.​

I plan to use PVs with 50V Voc and 12A Imp in a 4P-3S array, so theoricaly I could get a the total of 48A Imp.

Do you have any recommendation for a Solar PV DC Quick Disconnect Switch
- providing AWG #8 or #6 connections​
- and rated at least 50A DC?​
View attachment 85557

View attachment 85558
I just had my electrician review my system, and he said this Aims Power disconnect is not up to code, because the wires are exposed. I feel ripped off

Supposedly, in my area, anything over 30V DC under 8 feet high must be in conduit.
Interesting....

How does one put the PV wires from a disconnect box and into the SCC/Inverter MC4 connector inside a conduit?
Must we modify the SCC/Inverter: replace the MC4 connectors? That would void the warranty.
Will sheathing the wires be enough? say use flexible conduits to cover the exposed wires?

Now I understand why Sol-Ark did what they did to Deye's box.

Last edited:
Interesting....

How does one put the PV wires from a disconnect box and into the SCC/Inverter MC4 connector inside a conduit?
Must we modify the SCC/Inverter: replace the MC4 connectors? That would void the warranty.
Will sheathing the wires be enough? say use flexible conduits to cover the exposed wires?

Now I understand why Sol-Ark did what they did to Deye's box.
All good questions. And why would Aims sell a DC cutoff switch thats not to NEC code? I need to do more research.

My importer bought a WRONG ATS for me, so he gave this free of charge.
The contacts are really solid: large flat contact area, 4 poles, and I was wondering if I could use this as a DC Disconnect by turning that RED dial.
View attachment 98044

Likewise, I could rewire the internals and use the solenoids as a smart disconnect (ie SCC Voltage >70V).

What are your thoughts? Good idea? Bad Idea?
Short answer is no. DC ratings of AC switches are fractional by 10 at best, most won't reliably switch DC on or off at all.

All good questions. And why would Aims sell a DC cutoff switch thats not to NEC code? I need to do more research.
Hey Sanwizard did your research help you any?
I also have 3 Aims DC disconnect switches, which my local power company says is required to be mounted outside, preferably near my power meter, for access by firemen.
I'm thinking take the conduit into a wall-mounted box and drill 3 holes big enough for the switches to stick out?
Please let me know what you found out. Most videos on YouTube show the cutoffs inside, on a wall, which is fine for off grid i think.
However, for my SolArk 15k to be grid tied it has to pass inspection first....

Hey Sanwizard did your research help you any?
I also have 3 Aims DC disconnect switches, which my local power company says is required to be mounted outside, preferably near my power meter, for access by firemen.
I'm thinking take the conduit into a wall-mounted box and drill 3 holes big enough for the switches to stick out?
Please let me know what you found out. Most videos on YouTube show the cutoffs inside, on a wall, which is fine for off grid i think.
However, for my SolArk 15k to be grid tied it has to pass inspection first....
This looks like it should work:

Siemens Solar Safety Disconnect Switch HNF361RPV

This looks like it should work:

Siemens Solar Safety Disconnect Switch HNF361RPV
Hmmm, from the spec sheet, that switch appears to be an AC cutoff.
From my limited understanding, I believe DC disconnects for the PV system need a super-fast (usually 5ms) switching apparatus to prevent DC arcing. I'm ok with the 3 AIMS DC1200V32A switches I've already received, but I have to mount them outside, and I don't like the idea of mounting each one directly to the brick side of my house...
Also, mc4 and the pv cables can't be exposed, or it will fail inspection. Im looking for a box to hold it all, maybe I should just measure it all out and hit a big-box store?

Hmmm, from the spec sheet, that switch appears to be an AC cutoff.
From my limited understanding, I believe DC disconnects for the PV system need a super-fast (usually 5ms) switching apparatus to prevent DC arcing. I'm ok with the 3 AIMS DC1200V32A switches I've already received, but I have to mount them outside, and I don't like the idea of mounting each one directly to the brick side of my house...
Also, mc4 and the pv cables can't be exposed, or it will fail inspection. Im looking for a box to hold it all, maybe I should just measure it all out and hit a big-box store?
Its 30amp 600VDC, and should be good enough for outdoor

Back