diy solar

diy solar

Delta Pro not taking solar input…

Onodacops

Hi all. New to this site, so thanks in advance. I currently have a Delta, pro and one additional battery. It’s hooked up to 4 used 290 want panels. Once the system is fully charged it no longer takes solar input, which makes sense, and I understand. Under load once the system starts to discharge, the solar input does not kick in. Over the last two days I’ve noticed that once the system gets to 95% and there’s clearly sun on the panels there is no solar input. If I disconnect the solar input cable from the back of the Delta pro a few seconds later, I hear a click. I then plug it back in. I hear another click, and immediately starts taking the solar input. My charge and discharge settings on the Delta pro is currently 100% to be fully charged and to cut off when it is busy been discharged down to 10%. Thanks again.

Ono

That sounds familiar to totally other equipment issues I’ve had.

You should post your settings as there’s no way to diagnose with the information provided.

That sounds familiar to totally other equipment issues I’ve had.

You should post your settings as there’s no way to diagnose with the information provided.
Thanks, here are the current settings on the Delta Pro

Attachments

• 4B044905-EB17-4C3B-BCF5-EDCC1E46BF09.png
    4B044905-EB17-4C3B-BCF5-EDCC1E46BF09.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Those aren’t the settings I was thinking of… that says nothing.

Unless there’s a Suitcase Pro person that reads this and has suggestions, you either need to unplug the panels and plug back in regularly or call the CS number and ask if that’s a warranty thing

That discharge/charge setting is probably what's biting you. If I'm interpreting it correctly you're telling the unit to charge to 100% and then to discharge to 10% before charging back up. Try setting the 10% value to 98% so you give it a tight set of constraints and see if it discharges to 98% and then fires up the panels to charge back to 100%. This is just a test to see if that's how it's behaving. Unfortunately the engineering on some of these things isn't the greatest. If this works then contact the manufacturer to see if a firmware update is available that addresses the issue. There may be other settings that are wrong that we can't see(like type of battery, if the charge profile is for lead acid or lithium etc.) Good luck.

Hi all. New to this site, so thanks in advance. I currently have a Delta, pro and one additional battery. It’s hooked up to 4 used 290 want panels. Once the system is fully charged it no longer takes solar input, which makes sense, and I understand. Under load once the system starts to discharge, the solar input does not kick in. Over the last two days I’ve noticed that once the system gets to 95% and there’s clearly sun on the panels there is no solar input. If I disconnect the solar input cable from the back of the Delta pro a few seconds later, I hear a click. I then plug it back in. I hear another click, and immediately starts taking the solar input. My charge and discharge settings on the Delta pro is currently 100% to be fully charged and to cut off when it is busy been discharged down to 10%. Thanks again.

Ono
How are your panels wired? 2S2P ? Just my 2 cents, but you could use another 2kw of panels to do much of anything at you latitude (I know, in Ohio)

@Onodacops What are your firmware versions?

FYI. I have a very similar setup with 4 255 watt panels in 2s2p and my charging threshold settings are 10-100% and I am pretty sure solar input is taken at anything less than 100% or at 100% with a load, but I will keep an eye out to verify.

Update: I did verify and mine is doing the same thing. Today was a strong solar day for me and even powering many loads on my house, the Delta Pro hit 100% and stopped taking solar. I noticed it at 98%. I turned my charge threshold settings to 0-100% and that didn't help. So then I switched off and on my solar panels and it started taking solar again.

When the unit reached 100% again the solar shut off. I put on a 1800 watt load and my graphs show the Delta Pro started accepting solar input again at 97.49% SOC. (But the algorithms could vary depending on the conditions)

I wonder if this is a consequence of the firmware update that stopped the solar relay from clicking when the Ecoflow discovered a tiny input on the solar?

My firmware is V1.0.1.18
and V3.0.2.21(Wi-Fi)

Attachments

• IMG_4233.jpg
    IMG_4233.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4234.jpg
    IMG_4234.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

FYI. I have a very similar setup with 4 255 watt panels in 2s2p and my charging threshold settings are 10-100% and I am pretty sure solar input is taken at anything less than 100% or at 100% with a load, but I will keep an eye out to verify.

Update: I did verify and mine is doing the same thing. Today was a strong solar day for me and even powering many loads on my house, the Delta Pro hit 100% and stopped taking solar. I noticed it at 98%. I turned my charge threshold settings to 0-100% and that didn't help. So then I switched off and on my solar panels and it started taking solar again.

When the unit reached 100% again the solar shut off. I put on a 1800 watt load and my graphs show the Delta Pro started accepting solar input again at 97.49% SOC. (But the algorithms could vary depending on the conditions)

I wonder if this is a consequence of the firmware update that stopped the solar relay from clicking when the Ecoflow discovered a tiny input on the solar?

My firmware is V1.0.1.18
and V3.0.2.21(Wi-Fi)
Thanks so much. Same situation happen today. Plenty of sun today that topped off the Delta pro and the extra battery. Both were sitting at 100%. I applied a load that got them down to about 97% and the solar did not kick on. I unplugged it from the back, plugged it back in and immediately started taking 300+ watts of solar. Same firmware as you.

My firmware is V1.0.1.18
and V3.0.2.21(Wi-Fi)
EcoFlow reached out and explained that the system will resume taking solar input at 95% ish. Going to test that

EcoFlow reached out and explained that the system will resume taking solar input at 95% ish. Going to test that
Yes, that is basically what mine did:
Like I mentioned the Delta Pro did not do this before. I believe it is a byproduct of firmware version 1.0.1.18. On the change log, #6 says, "Fixed the issue where the relay experienced frequent switchover when the light source is weak." In short they changed the algorithm as to when the MPPT is activated.

Hi there, are you using Delta Pro for emergency or continue usage? Im planning to intially get either a single Delta Pro or Growatt SPF5000ES (that will cost less but requires knowledge on building new system ( battery+bms and breaker etc)
Yes, that is basically what mine did:

Like I mentioned the Delta Pro did not do this before. I believe it is a byproduct of firmware version 1.0.1.18. On the change log, #6 says, "Fixed the issue where the relay experienced frequent switchover when the light source is weak." In short they changed the algorithm as to when the MPPT is activateAre you using

Hi there, are you using Delta Pro for emergency or continue usage? Im planning to intially get either a single Delta Pro or Growatt SPF5000ES (that will cost less but requires knowledge on building new system ( battery+bms and breaker etc)
Did you look at assembled/manufactured batteries?
Usually you can buy a ready-made battery and something like the 5000ES for around the same cost or usually less than a suitcase battery power system but you get a lot more battery capacity and usability than the suitcases.

The cost of manufactured batteries has come down so much that building your own battery bank doesn’t save as much money as it did just two years ago.

Sounds like there's nothing wrong. Your solar input is covering most of the load, which is a good thing. With a smaller load your battery will just remain at 100% SOC and you can enjoy the free energy from the sun. In the off grid world this is called Opportunity load. You plan to do heavy draw loads such as vacuuming, laundry, crock pot cooking, etc. with this bonus power while your batteries sit, happily, fully charged.

Hey there! New here (sorry to resurrect this).

Checking in to see if anyone ever found a fix for this issue, or is this still the accepted understanding of the Delta Pro's operating behavior?

Thanks so much to anyone with the time to respond.

Prost!

-A

I don't think anything was wrong to fix. The fact that the unit quit taking solar input was changed by Ecoflow with a firmware update sometime ago. One of the tag points the firmware fixed was the solar relay clicking off-on in low light settings. Unfortunately, Turning off the solar at 100% until the unit reached 97% was a consequence of such update as well. Before I updated my unit to this firmware, it would pull solar equal to the current load when at 100%. I had not realize that had changed until Onodacops pointed out his was doing such.

I personally have not updated any of the new firmwares on my unit since this one. As I am running my Ecoflow Delta Pro on Home Assistant for monitoring and am a bit concerned a firmware update may break this setup. So mine is still shutting off at 100%, but the loss is negligible in my case.

Copy that, and thank you so much for the response. I was just concerned when it didn't automatically start charging in the same way it did with AC input, but once I realized it kicked on later, I was trying to determine if there was a setting that might allow the adjustment of this parameter. I would have preferred if it kicked on at 99%, given how long those last few percent can take to recharge, but I guess it's not worth losing sleep over...

I appreciate the more official details, and thank you so much again for the response!

Prost,

-A

Back