diy solar

diy solar

Developing World Off-grid Mobile Water Pumping Challenge

AgroVenturesPeru

TLDR: Looking for an alternative to petrol powered water pumps that have high flow/high head, that can be portable in steep hill country to provide water for livestock.

Looking for an effective, portable, battery-powered solution to get water from creeks to various spots up some steep hills. The setup needs to be portable and easy to move every day. This is for a small herd of cattle, so it needs to be able to pump about 200 gallons of water twice daily.

My current candidate is this Milwaukee transfer pump with a couple of the M18 batteries to power a pumping session. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/2771-20
According to specs it has an 8GPM flow rate, but it doesn't say at what height it acheives that rate. I'm guessing it's at zero feet. It says the max lift from water to pump is 18' and the Max Head Height is 75'. That sounds decent, but I wonder how much flow would be acheived at that height, and if the batteries would discharge at a higher rate at those heights? I'm skeptical. At best, it sounds like this solution would just barely do what I need it to do.

Any other ideas? I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07W...7124&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_lsi4d_asin_0_title
So I can charge up some 12V batteries at home by plugging into the house's off-grid solar system. Just don't know of what pump would move water adequately.
Is amp draw a valid concern? How about the weight of the batteries?

In Peru you can't get all the cool and useful gadgets you can get in many other countries, so locally, I could probably only get an AGM or lead acid battery. There are some local solar shops where I could probably source a decent 12V AGM battery, but I'd be surprised to find any reliable lithium batteries.

Can anyone recommend a pump/battery combination that would outperform the Milwaukee transfer pump I linked to above?

As far as flow and head, the more the merrier. But please make the suggestions reasonable, not like wiring 4 batteries in parallel or something where it becomes too cumbersome to deal with in field. The batteries will have to be hand-carried often up to a kilometer in steep terrain.

As far as flow and head, the more the merrier. But please make the suggestions reasonable, not like wiring 4 batteries in parallel
Water pump sizing takes careful study to do right. I’d start by identifying how much water I needed and long I wanted to spend pumping it. You really also need to identify the total dynamic head in order to choose the correct pump.

As far as cumbersome you are most likely going to need plan on few small batteries in series to get up to at least 36v. They could be M18 batteries.

Water pump sizing takes careful study to do right. I’d start by identifying how much water I needed and long I wanted to spend pumping it. You really also need to identify the total dynamic head in order to choose the correct pump.

As far as cumbersome you are most likely going to need plan on few small batteries in series to get up to at least 36v. They could be M18 batteries.
Sure. How about we just use that Milwaukee spec as our target then? I need 18 feet from water to pump and 75 feet lift height after the pump.

Sure. How about we just use that Milwaukee spec as our target then? I need 18 feet from water to pump and 75 feet lift height after the pump.
This pump be junk or may be great but its specs match up nicely so be looking for something like it.

You can use two of these to wire two 18v Milwaukee batteries in series.

1717279362793.png

I had no idea they had an apparatus that could connect M18 batteries in series. I could see myself using that.

The pump's specs are good, but a submersible is probably not going to work. I think the water sources are generally too shallow. That's why I opted for a transfer pump option. I think what's called a "trash pump" would probably be better than either.

What do you think about bilge pumps? Are any of those worthwhile to look into?

diy solar

diy solar
Back