diy solar

diy solar

My FIL has several micro hydro options. Help with the design would be great.

cibernox

Let's start my introducing myself and our situation.

My father in law has just retired and it has always been a tinkerer. What he lacks in knowledge or formal education he more than makes up for it in resourcefulness.
He (and I) lives in NW Spain, a very rainy part of the country, and quite mountainous. He has no less than 3 o 4 constant streams of water going through his property, of several kinds. I'm a software developer myself with some basic understanding of electronics and I also own a solar system (commercial, no batteries)

He has a spring with a water reservoir around 50 meters uphill from his home, that he has used as a source of drinkable water for his home for 5 decades. We measured 3.8bar at the bottom of the pipe. The flow rate will surely vary seasonally, but right now in winter no less than 6/7 litres/second. All this water is "wasted" anyway into an artificial waterfall in their garden (because when you put together a man with disposable time and several excavators and water springs, a garden waterfall is bound to happen). It's a shame we have all that flow and pressure and we do nothing with them but landscaping.

Then he also has another spring with not a lot of head by a higher flow, let's saw 10 or 12l/second, maybe more.

He's already experimenting with a water wheel for the low pressure high-volume spring. See attached video:

Let's be clear, we don't anticipate any of this to be generating a whole lot of energy nor to be 100% wise from an investment point of view, but still, we'd like to make this work for the love of doing it. But we need help with the generator-side of things.

Let's start with the water wheel:

On the video we're using a crude test harness, once installed in the real spring would have more than double the water flow seen on the video. What equipment to we need to generate power from it is our main question. My understanding is that we'd need some generator connected to controller of the likes of the ones used for wind turbines, but I don't know what kind of generator would be best (AC three phases? 12v? 24v? higher?) or controller. Also my understanding is that such controllers need some device to which they dump power when there's an excess of it. Also, what size generator would be ideal? How do we find out? Maybe getting an induction motor and turning it into a generator is the way to go?

As for the high pressure/low volume stream, building a pelton turbine is way beyond both our skills or equipment (tho I have access to a metal lathe in a maker space I belong to), so we'd like to purchase a mostly commercial turbine. I've seen plenty of them in aliexpress. In my experience stuff from aliexpress can range amazing-bang-from-the-buck all the way to an absolute scam, so I'd refrain from buying one unless anyone here has had any experience. Half the motors made in the planet are made in china, so some of them must be legit, but which ones?

If any of you know of a good video or article outlying the basic of how to size and white a generator to an spinning shaft I'd love to know. At the end the basics of wind/hydro are the same.

Last edited:
Thanks! I wrote him and he directed me to hidric.com, the only (afaik) distributor or powersprout peltol turbines (and a couple more brands). They also have permanent magnet generators I could use for the water wheel.

The prices are somewhat reasonable. Not cheap, but reasonable. Now I'd have to do some research on what electronic equipment we'd need. Ideally I'd like to have a hybrid inverter that has 4 MPPTs and supports 48v lithium batteries. The 1MPPT for the pelton turbine, 1MPPT for the water wheel, 1 MPPT for solar (just in case) and 1MPPT in case we end up needing two pelton turbines, as we seem to have too much flow and we'd max out a single turbine.

Any suggestion in inverters?

Water velocity coming from a nozzle equals velocity of a dropped object from same height as the head, neglecting friction (which I understand can cause substantial loss, so large pipe should be used.)

Measure pressure while adjusting a valve and measuring flow rate. You could find the maximum product.

Water jet hits Pelton wheel, does a 180 degree reversal of direction, comes off with velocity = nozzle velocity minus tangential velocity. The objective is to have the discharge water have zero velocity. From this you can get RPM.

There are SCC and GT PV inverters with turbine modes, such as Midnight Classic and earlier model Sunny Boy (up to the 5000US series.)

I think Turgo is used for similar head and flow as Pelton.

Symmetric nozzles should reduce radial loading on bearings. Adjustable nozzle is much more complex, so I imagine 4 nozzles, second pair switched on and off as level in reservoir hits limits.

I saw a video of a guy in Australia powering his house with a front load washing machine. Drum replaced with Pelton wheel. First one he ran 3 years until bearings seized an spun. Now he replaces bearings after 2 years.

Water wheel I think will produce little, unless you have high flow.

12l/second about 180 gallons/minute - how much head?
6 l/second 50m head, I think the following scales to about 700W. Which is considerable, running 24 hours/day.

The water for wheel has no head. We have several (4 or 5) springs coming from uphill, including the one with 50m head, all converging into a water reservoir. At the end of that reservoir we could add a pipe to drop all the water into a wheel, but there will be no head other than just dropping the water to the wheel from above.
For the wheel what I'd really need to know is what kind of inverter equipment to get. Ideally I want a grid-tied hybrid inverter and no batteries, with the option to add 48v lithium batteries later of the likes of https://batterysecondlife.com/bateria-7kwh-bms-daly-400a-cableado.html

However this seems to be an unusual setup. Seems that most people doing microhydro or wind use them to directly charge batteries, and then feed the batteries to an inverter. They use motors that produce low voltage, typically 24v or 48v to charge the batteries.

If I want to have a grid tied system, the motor would have to produce a much higher voltage, as most MPPT inputs of grid-tied inverters take 150-250v. I've seen a few 3phase permanent magnet generators online in second hand local pages and they all seem to be of the low power kind.

The companies that make micro hydro, some custom-wind for your application. Including high voltage (they talked about transmitting further, then stepping down.) I would think an MPPT controller might work well without custom winding or a give head and flow.

Don't know if the newer hybrids have turbine mode. Look up older Sunny Boys, early ones ranged from 700W to 2500W, later model up to 8000W, and those had turbine mode. I'm familiar with US models but they were in Europe too.

When used for wind, there is usually a need for shunt regulator or clipper to limit voltage. Maybe not a problem for hydro. It will spin 2x the RPM no-load.

There are all sorts of motors out there, and doesn't have to be 3-phase or even permanent magnet. Often treadmill motors are used. Front-load washer. The 700W I estimated is a larger motor, and that's just one water source.

I think an AC induction motor is supposed to push back power if spun to higher RPM, but I haven't tried it. Maybe experiment with such a motor, driving it from another motor that doesn't might being lugged down.

Back