diy solar

diy solar

Did anyone else run out and buy a 48V EG4 battery after watching Wills Video?

I did and I am unsure what is going on. I am sick with fever and on the road. Will think about this soon. Can you post pictures of your connections and what conductor size you're using?
Sorry to hear that Will.
I am using 4 AWG wire. I am not having any issues but it is concerning that other people are.
Hope you get better soon.

I purchased three of these batteries last April after watching David Poz video. I received them in June and installed them in early July. I have had no problems with them. I did worry of course, given that Will had not reviewed them at that time. After he did review them, I was much relieved but at the same time felt that as a result they might be unavailable. I tried purchasing two more (48v) this fall after getting a notice that they were available again. I messed up my order or did not follow through and they must have been sold out. I got another notice in December and quickly ordered two more (with the LCD screen). They are in transit as we speak and I should get them on the 18th (January).
Since the voltage will not match the voltage of my existing batteries, I know I cannot just hook them up and turn them on. I do not have a 48 volt charger. I expect to shut off the older set of batteries (under a no load situation...like switching off the (in my case Sok Ark 12K) with a transfer switch back to utility power. I will then let the Sol Ark bring the two new batteries up to a matching voltage before turning my older batteries back on. I have no idea how close the voltages should match before combining the battery banks.....any ideas?

I purchased three of these batteries last April after watching David Poz video. I received them in June and installed them in early July. I have had no problems with them. I did worry of course, given that Will had not reviewed them at that time. After he did review them, I was much relieved but at the same time felt that as a result they might be unavailable. I tried purchasing two more (48v) this fall after getting a notice that they were available again. I messed up my order or did not follow through and they must have been sold out. I got another notice in December and quickly ordered two more (with the LCD screen). They are in transit as we speak and I should get them on the 18th (January).
Since the voltage will not match the voltage of my existing batteries, I know I cannot just hook them up and turn them on. I do not have a 48 volt charger. I expect to shut off the older set of batteries (under a no load situation...like switching off the (in my case Sok Ark 12K) with a transfer switch back to utility power. I will then let the Sol Ark bring the two new batteries up to a matching voltage before turning my older batteries back on. I have no idea how close the voltages should match before combining the battery banks.....any ideas?
Keep in mind that as far as I know the BMS in the orginal Gyll batteries is not the same as the EG4 LL. So closed loop communication will not work between them. There are no reported problems with the GYll batteries but if you look at the links I posted above, there are problems happening with the EG4 batteries. No one has reported and issue will an EG4LL but besides that display being on the LL they appear to have the same BMS and circuitry. I have one Eg4 LL hooked up along side with my eFlex batteries and it is working fine so far.

Keep in mind that as far as I know the BMS in the orginal Gyll batteries is not the same as the EG4 LL. So closed loop communication will not work between them. There are no reported problems with the GYll batteries but if you look at the links I posted above, there are problems happening with the EG4 batteries. No one has reported and issue will an EG4LL but besides that display being on the LL they appear to have the same BMS and circuitry. I have one Eg4 LL hooked up along side with my eFlex batteries and it is working fine so far.
Yes - the new Lifepower4 battery has a different BMS and Rs485 cable setup from the original Gyll batteries - and from the new EG4-LL models. Different software, too. Battery-to-battery communication daisy chain is a no-go between the old Gyll and Lifepower4.

This should have been pointed out in their marketing materials, but as of yesterday, the original PC software was still shown in the Lifepower4 spec sheet. This needs to be changed immediately.

I have asked SSolar to exchange my new Lifepower4 unit for the EG4-LL - in order to be compatible with my previously purchased Gyll batteries. We'll see how that works out - no response thus far, but it's only been a couple of days.

@SignatureSolarUS @Signature Solar @Will Prowse @signaturesolarrichard

Yes - the new Lifepower4 battery has a different BMS and Rs485 cable setup from the original Gyll batteries - and from the new EG4-LL models. Different software, too. Battery-to-battery communication daisy chain is a no-go between the old Gyll and Lifepower4.

This should have been pointed out in their marketing materials, but as of yesterday, the original PC software was still shown in the Lifepower4 spec sheet. This needs to be changed immediately.

I have asked SSolar to exchange my new Lifepower4 unit for the EG4-LL - in order to be compatible with my previously purchased Gyll batteries. We'll see how that works out - no response thus far, but it's only been a couple of days.

I too wish I had know the incompatibility with my previous EG4LL's before I got from them, it is quite annoying!

Reading this thread motivated me to double check my setup, since it's mainly just for backup, and I just found another significant issue;

I have a 24v EG4LL from Aug21 in series with a 24v Lifepower4 from Dec21, hooked up to a 48v Multiplus ii.
They were originally fully charged, then paralleled together for about a week, then connected in series. They are now completely out of balance. The SOC of the Lifepower4 is at 82% and the SOC of the EG4LL is at 25%!

What would cause this? Does this indicate that the internal resistance of the Lifepower4 is much higher than the EG4LL?

Difficult to say. Did you use the PC software to report SOC or...? Different BMS manufacturers could affect outcome - also the unknown spec of cells between units. Wiring practices can certainly affect balance, especially in series. I'll be hooking up my Lifepwower4 in parallel with my Gylls soon and will report the results.

This thread and others have made me grateful that I went down the DIY rabbit hole. DIY, with all its needed effort, still seems the safest way to go for me. At least I know my own batteries inside and out. These plug and play batteries are attractive for sure and the cost is getting attractive as well but there are just too many decisions that are made by the manufacturers that are different from the decisions I would make. Price point often creates inconvenient compromises.

Perhaps the best part of DIY is it forces us to study and learn more about the technology, components and assembly techniques.
Just watched your channel -- was interesting.I am also making my own solar-recharged battery pack and glad of the extra knowledge, but agree it's a lot of work and has its risks and challenges.

PS also in Texas (Austin area)

It's been 5 weeks and no feedback. I am guessing that they did change your batteries?

So just to be clear... the eg4 and the eg4-ll that ss sells right now, cannot be daisy chained and will not communicate with each other?
Correct. The EG4 LifePower4 and EG4 LL have different BMS's and will NOT work correctly if put in the same Daisy chain to an inverter.

It's a damn shame Signature Solar is selling the exact same capacity rack batteries and they didn't make the BMS's compatible. It's even a BIGGER SHAME they don't tell people this.

I've been watching these batteries for a while now, but have a question and hoping they can be answered here.
Can these batteries be drawn down from 48 volts to 12 volts? I was hoping to get two, wire them in parallel for a total of 800ahs to power my bus conversion.

TIA!

I've been watching these batteries for a while now, but have a question and hoping they can be answered here.
Can these batteries be drawn down from 48 volts to 12 volts? I was hoping to get two, wire them in parallel for a total of 800ahs to power my bus conversion.

TIA!
No they cannot be safely run down to 12v.

TIA!
Rather than EG4, consider a couple of Ampertime 12v 400ah. Just a bit more money, but quality is just as good. Forgot that we are not supposed to post links to products, or was that just for affiliate links? I should re-read the forum guidance/rules!

Last edited:
Quote; "I've been watching these batteries for a while now, but have a question and hoping they can be answered here.
Can these batteries be drawn down from 48 volts to 12 volts? I was hoping to get two, wire them in parallel for a total of 800ahs to power my bus conversion."

your lack of knowledge is rather disturbing and will lead you into getting hurt or worse a family member. I am not telling you what to do but it would be to your advantage to learn everything you can before taking on this adventure.

Regards,
Marathonman

Back