diy solar

diy solar

Problems with EG4 6500 Inverters and Signature Solar's refund policy on defective equipment

PeterE

I purchased a dual EG4 6500 Inverter system from Signature Solar in December of 2022 and they sat unopened in my barn till November 2023 when I was finally able to get them installed. I also ordered a Load Center for the dual EG4 6500 system a few months before the install. There were other items in my order and install, mainly batteries, but I'll skip those for simplicity here. After the install the system seemed to be working OK, except I was having a problem with flashing or strobing lights in the house (dirty power?). Support said I needed to upgrade firmware on the EG6500's so I did that on both inverters, but that didn't fix the flashing lights. Then support said we needed to do some "gound bonding" work, which my installer friend understood and performed that work, but again it didn't fix the problem -- I think these steps improved the lights-flashing a bit, but didn't fix it. The flashing is not consistent either: sometimes the lights appear steady and OK, other times they flash a little and sometimes they flash a lot. I took a video to show a couple examples this past weekend (I sent these to Signature support):

Generator Issues: I have a high quality 20kw backup generator (1800 rpm, liquid cooled, Onan, has worked flawlessly for years) which was connected during the install, but later when the generator was tested, it would start up and run OK, but the EG4 6500s refused to use its power to charge the batteries. So we reported this problem to Signature. They verified some system settings and we sent them this video and they then agreed that the primary inverter is defective:

Signature's proposed solution: I am to return my two defective inverters for store credit, rather than giving me a refund. But store credit doesn't help me buy a replacement inverter (their EG4 18K), which I have to do before returning these defective units that are currently installed. In order to use their store credit proposal to help me pay for the replacement inverter, I'd have to remove the current eqpt, ship it to them, buy the new Inverter and apply the "store credit", they then ship that back to me and all this time I'd be without power. With their proposed store credit "solution" I either have no power for several weeks (too ridiculous to consider), or else I wind up with a large store credit that I doubt I'll ever use. They sold me defective equipment and they won't even try to reduce my pain a bit by offering a refund rather than a store credit -- of course I wouldn't expect to get the refund until the defective equipment is returned to them later, after the new inverter is installed. It's also an out-of-pocket issue that they want the secondary inverter returned as if it is A-OK, with me paying shipping and a restock fee, despite the flashing light problem shown above, which I believe it is partly responsible for.

Unhappy with their proposal, I asked for the contact info for the supervisor of the support person who seemed so insistent on the "store credit" proposal. He said his supervisor is on vacation till Jan 16th and gave me no contact info. On the 16th I sent him a reminder, but never heard back. Nothing on the 17th either. Today is the 18th and I've heard nothing, so I decided to post this and share my unhappy experience with my EG4 inverters and SignatureSolar.

This not good. We have been planning on ordering a substantial solar kit from them this spring. Please keep us updated!
Bob

Contact a class action lawsuit attorney and sue them on behalf of everyone they've injured by selling this defective line of inverters. There are far too many reports of "issues" related to these units and it is time that they're taught a valuable lesson about product development and customer service. Every one of these units along with the 6000ex's should be recalled and the purchase price refunded. It amazes me how many people will put up with this. Stand up and fight back!

The new 6000XP seems to have solved these issues, I would suggest they send 2 of these units to you at no charge and you can ship back the defective units to them.

They don't seem to be selling the 6500 units any more on there site.

Hi @PeterE We sincerely understand the complications and concerns of having power during the return process. In the past, we have had off-grid customers opt to purchase their replacement beforehand to which you could then receive a refund once the return is completed. This is a completely optional choice, in no way are we asking you to buy the replacement first, this is just a solution many of our customers have found to work. If you would like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com, I can get you connected with our customer service manager to see if there is anything else we can do!

The new 6000XP seems to have solved these issues, I would suggest they send 2 of these units to you at no charge and you can ship back the defective units to them.

They don't seem to be selling the 6500 units any more on there site.
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!

Hi @PeterE We sincerely understand the complications and concerns of having power during the return process. In the past, we have had off-grid customers opt to purchase their replacement beforehand to which you could then receive a refund once the return is completed. This is a completely optional choice, in no way are we asking you to buy the replacement first, this is just a solution many of our customers have found to work. If you would like to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com, I can get you connected with our customer service manager to see if there is anything else we can do!
You really did ask him to buy the replacement first!!! You just worded yourself to hope that he got your answer to be different!!!

I purchased a dual EG4 6500 Inverter system from Signature Solar in December of 2022 and they sat unopened in my barn till November 2023 when I was finally able to get them installed. I also ordered a Load Center for the dual EG4 6500 system a few months before the install. There were other items in my order and install, mainly batteries, but I'll skip those for simplicity here. After the install the system seemed to be working OK, except I was having a problem with flashing or strobing lights in the house (dirty power?). Support said I needed to upgrade firmware on the EG6500's so I did that on both inverters, but that didn't fix the flashing lights. Then support said we needed to do some "gound bonding" work, which my installer friend understood and performed that work, but again it didn't fix the problem -- I think these steps improved the lights-flashing a bit, but didn't fix it. The flashing is not consistent either: sometimes the lights appear steady and OK, other times they flash a little and sometimes they flash a lot. I took a video to show a couple examples this past weekend (I sent these to Signature support):

Generator Issues: I have a high quality 20kw backup generator (1800 rpm, liquid cooled, Onan, has worked flawlessly for years) which was connected during the install, but later when the generator was tested, it would start up and run OK, but the EG4 6500s refused to use its power to charge the batteries. So we reported this problem to Signature. They verified some system settings and we sent them this video and they then agreed that the primary inverter is defective:

Signature's proposed solution: I am to return my two defective inverters for store credit, rather than giving me a refund. But store credit doesn't help me buy a replacement inverter (their EG4 18K), which I have to do before returning these defective units that are currently installed. In order to use their store credit proposal to help me pay for the replacement inverter, I'd have to remove the current eqpt, ship it to them, buy the new Inverter and apply the "store credit", they then ship that back to me and all this time I'd be without power. With their proposed store credit "solution" I either have no power for several weeks (too ridiculous to consider), or else I wind up with a large store credit that I doubt I'll ever use. They sold me defective equipment and they won't even try to reduce my pain a bit by offering a refund rather than a store credit -- of course I wouldn't expect to get the refund until the defective equipment is returned to them later, after the new inverter is installed. It's also an out-of-pocket issue that they want the secondary inverter returned as if it is A-OK, with me paying shipping and a restock fee, despite the flashing light problem shown above, which I believe it is partly responsible for.

Unhappy with their proposal, I asked for the contact info for the supervisor of the support person who seemed so insistent on the "store credit" proposal. He said his supervisor is on vacation till Jan 16th and gave me no contact info. On the 16th I sent him a reminder, but never heard back. Nothing on the 17th either. Today is the 18th and I've heard nothing, so I decided to post this and share my unhappy experience with my EG4 inverters and SignatureSolar.
I just watched these videos, and they are very consistent with my experience.
I'm in a similar situation... when I bought the units vs. when I was able to get them installed and in use.
I too, have the flickering problem, your videos are very consistent with my experience.

I just this morning, was in a position to see the problem exhibit with varying degress of symptom (flicker), or apparent lack of, based on the demand load on the inverter.

You're not crazy.... this is a real problem with these inverters... as we've both found out the hard way, just search this forum, you'll find a number of complaints, with no actual consitent fix, other than to not use this manufacture/model (I think).

I started this thread; EG4 6500EX drop outs and as of yet, have no resolution to the problem.

To be fair, EG4 responded to it, with an as of yet, unfulfilled offer of trouble-shooting assistance, and SS has not responded at all (nor have I directly ellecited help from them).

I'll be posting some video, showing my experience as well.

Unfortunately, and ultimately, I suspect that my resolution will be to replace the equipment, for which I expect that I'll endup eating the total cost of the the defective inverters.

I wish you good luck with SS.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your many helpful comments and suggestions. I did email Jess at the address she gives above and in pretty short order the "Resolution" offer I was given earlier was changed (sunflower is right) to, basically, "we'll refund for the two inverters and give you store credit now". So this morning I purchased an EG4 18KPV from Signature and was able to apply the "store credit" which was already present in my account. Another note: they don't even want me to ship them the defective 6500's, which is kinda surprising, but given that it does then seem reasonable to give me the store credit immediately.

Thank you everyone for your many helpful comments and suggestions. I did email Jess at the address she gives above and in pretty short order the "Resolution" offer I was given earlier was changed (sunflower is right) to, basically, "we'll refund for the two inverters and give you store credit now". So this morning I purchased an EG4 18KPV from Signature and was able to apply the "store credit" which was already present in my account. Another note: they don't even want me to ship them the defective 6500's, which is kinda surprising, but given that it does then seem reasonable to give me the store credit immediately.
Wow, that is not what I expected. Congrats !
I'm very definitely interested in how the new unit performs !
Keep us posted please.

Now that’s great customer service!

Back