diy solar

diy solar

DIHOOL Breakers - Amazon

For high quality in the 200-400a (or even higher) range you might consider ABB SACE. I use a second hand ABB SACE S3 400a w/24v shunt-trip for my powerwall. It handles 4/0 AWG wire. These are Tier 1 breakers and second hand ones are reasonably priced. Some models (S3) have shunt-trip capability for overall power wall disconnect driven by a BMS.

Here's a quick ebay example (except the picture shows 225a) - not sure would need to contact the seller - https://www.ebay.com/itm/294627605335?hash=item44992c7b57:g:btwAAOSwQ-lhtR8U&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoNt6md5+sV2uGF93VoQWKLMWeecgnYBhE6MuZwXCAm6QOtGcGOLGiraFy7tcP4AneoJonl7INNo1T1eyfzB/UO1hb4WPzkEHDTJN3D19k9lRFD1urj1liWbBBKxsuhIO2QwVkz/t4V1H3bDjQ75NXBHb1SvNkyCMTJjRbrubSYql8MmKonwRmOIo4edt47L9QvZxZ5ho6d43AkN5BmZbsYI=|tkp:Bk9SR76o192xYQ

Here's another were the pic actually shows 400a - https://www.ebay.com/itm/285000962067?hash=item425b619013:g:3mMAAOSwEJZjSLJj&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoNVqtT4i/ZKlyO8qto8TvJvi1X0keZBPqem6LqF80wn84jvFi0nMxkaH5s/9+Uh+9ZMpQarVpMcg1sHxHqQU1BKDPmi61q+4Z6bc6LMnhI/Jgg63rZP5AeOgIK76ykjh4NzPjT4S1lwXhocgl4EECOyJoDwOTThwmO5ioY8aNIQgBUbJxgKO39T3qvepnJoJcut4oETnMVyEI6Ahwrugyhc=|tkp:Bk9SR6jB-92xYQ

These ABB SACE listings change all the time - a little patience (couple of months) and you can usually find exactly what you need.
I have used these breakers. They are just too massive. I am looking for an alternative. I agree great quality and love the 24v shunt-trip option as well as the fact that they handle to 4/0 AWG wire lugs, I just wish the form factor was smaller...

I switched from the really cheap car ones (after some melting) to these and they have very solid feedback and have worked well so far. I will write a review and figure out some better ways to test them at some point.

The DIHOOL breaker looks to be the same as the one Big Clive took apart. Also tested by another YouTuber. The case looks identical, so may come out of the same factory.

Big Clive
David Poz

The DIHOOL breaker looks to be the same as the one Big Clive took apart. Also tested by another YouTuber. The case looks identical, so may come out of the same factory.

Big Clive
David Poz
No, they aren't the same.
The DIHOOL the OP posted is not an MCB like you think, it's an MCCB.
The MCCBs are massive and have more sturdy construction. Look at the teardown pics he posted. I have also opened up one them.

Oh right, yeah, I was looking at Amazon UK having seen the YouTube videos. Then google brought me right here. My bad.

Oh right, yeah, I was looking at Amazon UK having seen the YouTube videos. Then google brought me right here. My bad.
The Tomzn MCCB are not quite the same as the DIHOOL MCCB - the space for the ring terminals is too narrow on the Tomzn - ask me how I know.
The DIHOOL terminal areas are wider and the ring terminals actually fit properly.

After getting "burnt" by some cheapo square breakers from China on another project that tripped at half their rated amperage (and after sustained load even earlier) I'm wondering if these DIHOOL breakers actually will trip at what they're rated and from @OffGridForGood and @codypilot's replies here along with this amazon review I gather they do indeed work? Will go ahead and order then, let's hope 150mm^2 of cable fits inside somehow.

I'm not looking to actuate them often, only when upgrading the battery. More importantly they should let through 350A continuously without tripping and trip if the inverter goes nuts.

After getting "burnt" by some cheapo square breakers from China on another project that tripped at half their rated amperage (and after sustained load even earlier) I'm wondering if these DIHOOL breakers actually will trip at what they're rated and from @OffGridForGood and @codypilot's replies here along with this amazon review I gather they do indeed work? Will go ahead and order then, let's hope 150mm^2 of cable fits inside somehow.

I'm not looking to actuate them often, only when upgrading the battery. More importantly they should let through 350A continuously without tripping and trip if the inverter goes nuts.
I didn't get the DIHOOL (but wish I did due to ring-terminal fit issue) I can tell you the Tomzn breakers have done the job and I have a pretty high load during the day with the shop and house (next door) both pulling from my ESS. As the Battery bank got too big for the original 2P breakers, I split my ESS into two racks each with their own MCCB feeding into a common bus. This allows me under moderate loads to switch off a complete 50kWh ESS rack, while the other one continues to feed the solar. Very handy for doing upgrades.

My experience with the Tomzn breakers:
I run 2P MCCB main disconnects for each ESS stack (x2)
I run 1P MCCB 125A disconnect for each rack battery in each stack (x8 so far)
I put a 2P MCB 125A disconnect built into each DIY battery pack.
All the breakers have operated properly, no nuisence trips, no issues, running three years for the very first installed one.

Back