diy solar

diy solar

HiXiMi LiFePO4 Battery?

troye

It's made by the Chinese company "Eve". Anyone with experience? It's practically the only LiFePO4 battery in my price range that i have access to down here in Mexico. I am hoping to power a medium sized fridge and medium sized chest freezer for hurricane aftermaths. Any help very very appreciated.

I am hoping to power a medium sized fridge and medium sized chest freezer for hurricane aftermaths.
How many watts do your appliances use and what is your anticipated daily watt hour needs?

12.8V battery x 100Ah = 1280Wh

I will guess a medium efficient fridge to use 1500Wh a day and a medium (10sqft?) freezer to use 1000Wh a day. Maybe more if these are in a hot environment.

That s roughly 20hours of power for just these 2 items.

Planning on having solar to extend your power?

2500Wh / 5h solar = 500W solar panels to fully recharge battery daily. Maybe 750W realistic.
500W solar / 14V charging = 36A solar charge controller

So, no one with knowledge of the HiXiMi battery? Prolly not a good sign, huh? I was really hoping Will Prowse had done a tear down of it. At this point, after watching his videos, i am not going to buy anything he has not broken open and given a seal of approval to, but i wanted to also hear some user testimonials.

Such is our life. I am in Nicaragua where a LFP battery with a name I never heard of costs over $500.

There are SO many of these noname brands, the chance of any given one having been tested or torn down by someone who documented that on the internet, is pretty slim. I dont know the details of taking batteries across the border (i mean, every car crossing the bridge contains several..) but im in South Texas so if you ever came to the Tx border you could order som in orver here and i could hand them off to you. ?‍♂️

I recently purchased 4x HiXimi 280Ah "EVE" prismatic cells through Amazon. They arrived quickly from LA area, with "EVE" manufacturing labels on box. Packed 4 to a box, so it's heavy. Cells tested 3.40v to 3.41v upon arrival - they show no signs of bulging and appear to be grade A. Manufacturing date in November 2023. Price was good at $0.16 per Wh. The box was marked as "32 of 32". So far so good. I am awaiting my Daly 4S 200A BMS, so have not been able to run a load test yet.

I also live in Mexico and ordered 4 230 ah cells from HiXimi in October. They arrived from china to Oaxaca in December, about 60 days later after a month at sea, a long stint at the Mexican customs and then Estafeta.
The cells seem to be grade A. No bulging. The labels checked out though they were not all from the same date. They deliver the full rated 230 ah.
Before buying, I looked into their complete batteries and they also seem fine, but the brand of BMS used for their smart versions is Daly. I wanted the more reliable JK or JBD BMS so I built my own using cells. I had originally tried to buy cells direct from the recommended Chinese company (Amy) but she said they could not deliver to Mexico.

As far as building your own, it's a lot to sort out if you haven't done it before but it's a good value even at Mexico taxed prices. I am happy with the higher quality BMS I have installed. With 230 ah, I could run my smallish 12 cf Whirlpool fridge for about 30 hours. But we had the doors open a lot as it was a big family dinner day. You would get less with the freezer but maybe not much less if careful about use. I would recommend 200 ah at least in your case. Two 100 ah batteries with 100 ah of output in parallel will work. Not worth putting the whole inverter/charger etc system together and then having too little battery. I chose a 2000 watt PSW inverter.

So, I can recommend the seller. They are very good at communicating and came through with the goods.

Back