diy solar

diy solar

Matt's starter system for $2500.

Have you looked into a standalone pump/controller no battery needed like the RPS 800 if you have some used pannels to spare the system is a approx 1500.00 without the panels that is what I am going with
When this one dies I'll replace it with something more energy efficient, maybe something that can do AC or DC (Groundfoss?), but that's a lot of money to replace the pump, tube, fittings, etc. Getting 300ft of lift is fierce! That and sunlight out there is minimal at best.

camp pvwatts.jpg

Sadly, that's about 2x what my old house got with the same specs. 2400w array @ 45deg tilt facing south.

OK @Mattb4 ready for a real challenge? I got a noodle project for ya! (Sleep debt may be involved so...)

HAVE:
8-ish old 200w panels, ~37Vmp and 6-ish amps
Plenty of wall space
Wire, crimps, hardware, etc.
40a SCC 12/24v

NEED:
3Kw+ of 240v Split Phase power, low frequency
~2Kwh+ of storage + overhead
COLD Protection!
CHEAP!!!!!!11111oneoneone (So no Victron)

WOULD LIKE:
30a+ step down converter to 12v, but no objections to the current 2x 100Ah FLA setup I have now as a separate system
24v based so I can reuse the 40a SCC

Not picky about 24v or 48v, just needs to run the well pump for an hour a day worst case scenario. About the best I'm coming up with is:

2Pack 12V 200AH Plus Low Temp Cutoff LiFePO4 - $1100​

Sigineer Power 3000W 24V Pure Sine Wave Inverter Charger - $850​

F.S.P 150 Amp MRBF Terminal Fuse 150a - $25​

DC 24V Step Down to DC 12V 30A 360W - $23​

ECO-WORTHY 4 String PV Combiner Box - $75 (Have to do 2s4p to that SCC)​

Or, in the 48v world:

FOIIOE VESTWOODS 48V 100Ah - $1350​

EG4 6K Off-Grid Split Phase Inverter (Refurbished, discontinued?) - $1100​

OR

6000W 48v Hybrid Solar Inverter 120V/240v Split Phase - $1200​

80 Amp MRBF Terminal Fuse - $25​

So it looks like 24v is slightly cheaper ($2075 VS $2575) because I can re-use the MPPT controller feeding the current 12v system.

Of course if I was insane I'd stick with a 12v setup:

2Pack 12V 200AH Plus Low Temp Cutoff LiFePO4 - $1100​

SUNGOLDPOWER 4000W 12V Inverter Charger - $1000​

HQST 60 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller - $220 (in parallel with the 40a in there)​

FBL-300 300 Amp Fuse Class T with Block - $90​

For a grand total of $2410, about smack dab in the middle.

Can you do any better? :unsure:
Almost out of Data for the month so can't do a bunch of research till the 6th. Needing low temp protected batteries adds to the cost. It struck me that most well houses need to be above freezing to protect the pipes. Is this taken into consideration?

Almost out of Data for the month so can't do a bunch of research till the 6th. Needing low temp protected batteries adds to the cost. It struck me that most well houses need to be above freezing to protect the pipes. Is this taken into consideration?
Yes, but the place gets below freezing every year for months on end. I'll be installing another diesel heater in the pump house in a week or two (when I can FINALLY get up there!) but I'm paranoid and the low temp protection is cheaper than new batteries.

I drain the lines when I leave so nothing gets in there while it's unattended but I'm not the only one up there, just the only one doing real work. There's that delay time between getting everything up to temp and stable and the water system online.

Last edited:
Based on all your comments concerning the well I would not recommend a PV/battery solution. Sounds like the place for a propane fired generator and a 100lb tank (if you can not get delivery of propane) or smaller depending on your ability to handle it.

Based on all your comments concerning the well I would not recommend a PV/battery solution. Sounds like the place for a propane fired generator and a 100lb tank (if you can not get delivery of propane) or smaller depending on your ability to handle it.
Yeah, that's what I've got now but it burns a gallon of gasoline an hour at idle and I'd like a backup that doesn't require fuel. That's why I've been looking at a small system with a LF inverter, something that only needs to run for 15 minutes a couple times a day and can just sit there floating the rest of the time.

Yeah, that's what I've got now but it burns a gallon of gasoline an hour at idle and I'd like a backup that doesn't require fuel. That's why I've been looking at a small system with a LF inverter, something that only needs to run for 15 minutes a couple times a day and can just sit there floating the rest of the time.
Ideally you would never run your generator at idle. With a electric start generator you start it to run the well pump and shut it off when you have pumped adequate water. Many folks that go this route put in above ground water tank so that they can use a smaller on demand pump (here's where PV/battery comes into play) for pressurized water. However you could use the generator to fill a large pressurized storage tank as another setup.

Between having to Winterize, and also wanting year round water pumped whenever you want, it is unlikely you will find a perfect solution. I guess a clever person could rig an auto circuit that starts the generator at low water pressure then energizes well pump. Pump water up to pressure and shuts down. The start circuit could pick up signal from the pressure switch with a delay from generator start to pump being powered.

With the changes in well pumps that happened over the years be sure to check if there is a lower power usage pump available to handle your needs. I went from a 1 hp 220 volt pump that would dim the lights when it came on to this :

The new one pulls all of 5 amps and the wires that came with it look like speaker wire and I mean the little speaker wire.

18 ga wire is what it comes with. You can't even tell the things running power wise. Saved a bundle on the power bill upgrading to that thing. Highly recommend.

Has been very dependable. Shows I bought it 5 years ago and no issues with it.

Just happened to spot a good deal on Eco-worthy 195w panels over on Ebay. (bought 2 myself) They have 20% off code (SAVETWENTY) that reduces price for a max savings of $100 plus a discount of 3% for more than 1 panel. The 2 panels I bought were $275.59 after tax and all the discounts. ($66.56 off listed) https://www.ebay.com/itm/125712596333

Back