diy solar

diy solar

Discharge only; Charge only switch

Freep

Solar Enthusiast
I'm thinking about building a solar generator but I'd like to build a switch into it that puts it in charge only or discharge only mode.

How would I go about doing that?

Double pole double throw switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Double pole double throw switch?

This was the question I was trying to ask and I googled it. "How do you make sure electrons only flow in one direction?" Your answer helped me form my question better.

Other than the DPDT switch I need a high voltage diode power module or something similar. Is that correct?

You will need to define what you call a solar generator as it means different things to different people.

Best to detail your system so folks can help.

Good point. Thanks for the feedback.

I mean to make a battery built into an enclosure that will accept a charge only when a switch is flipped and then discharge only when the switch is flipped the other way. I may want to charge it straight from my house DC system in my truck camper(on days where I top off my battery early in the day) or charge it from portable panels. Or maybe even charge it from another DC source.

I have not decided if I will incorporate the MPPT charger in the battery enclosure itself or not. I'm still cogitating.

Other than the DPDT switch I need a high voltage diode power module or something similar. Is that correct?

A diode will let current flow one direction, block the other. It will introduce a voltage drop somewhere between 0.4V and 1.5V, depending on type. I will dissipate power W = V x A, and needs to be heatsinked to keep temperature about 25 degrees C lower than data sheet maximum.

You can also get "ideal diode" circuits, which use a MOSFET for 0.001 or 0.020 ohms rather than a voltage drop.

Ideal diode. Thanks. That's very helpful.

I'm thinking about building a solar generator but I'd like to build a switch into it that puts it in charge only or discharge only mode.

How would I go about doing that?
Install the charge controller to the solar generator...

it will not discharge from the solar inputs...

Please keep political comments out of this forum.
I have to say, it's pretty messed up when unscientific nonsense is considered political speech.

Install the charge controller to the solar generator...

it will not discharge from the solar inputs..

Simple and effective. So if I wanted to use the solar generator to feed the house battery I'd need to make a connection a DC-DC charger.

Thanks.

I have to say, it's pretty messed up when ... is considered political speech.
While I agree with you in principle, the mods have to use a reality check of sorts as a filter to determine what will derail threads.
Non-solar topics that are highly polarized distract from what these forums are about: a solar teaching site.

Reactions: Dzl
If you want to isolate Charging versus Discharging, why not use Separate Port BMS and be done with it ? Square Peg in Square Hole !

Back