diy solar

diy solar

DIY LiFePO4 battery system for Camper Conversion

Tiktaalik

Hi Everyone!

I just joined the forum and I am relatively new to solar so I thought I’d jump into the deep end right away and build a DIY LiFePO4 System for the Camper Conversion of a Mercedes 814DA that I purchased recently.

Just to give a bit of reference, the van is the older, big brother of the sprinter van with a GVWR of 16,500 lbs and the electrical system in the van itself is 24v.

I’d love to get everyone’s feedback of my thoughts so far so that, hopefully you can steer me in the right direction.

I am considering 8-12 200Ah cells that I would assemble, balance and configure into my own DIY power bank.. Judging from Will’s LiFePO4 DIY video, 8 cells seems to be the max before you have to start configuring things a bit differently. If I decide on 10 cells, would you then arrange the system in two sets of 5 that then join together at some point? What would be the best way to configure a 10 cell LiFePO4 power bank?

There will be 1-2 fans and an AC installed on the roof but the roof is pretty big so there should still be room for 1000 - 1200w worth of solar, roughly guessing.

I definitely want the ability to also power the LiFePO4 power bank with the vehicles 24v alternator. If that means replacing the stock alternator with a marine alternator I’m ok with that or if there is room I would install a second marine alternator that is dedicated to the power bank.

The vans electrical system will remain 24v so I thought that for simplicity’s sake to also have the solar system be 24v with a step down to 12v for certain accessories like phone chargers.

Any tips, advice or thoughts on where I am headed so far? Any recommendations for how to configure this system, what 200Ah cells to get, etc?

Thanks!

Attachments

• F4C98068-1AE6-42C7-B079-D378D399080B.jpeg
    F4C98068-1AE6-42C7-B079-D378D399080B.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like a very interesting project. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. I did not built my 24V battery.

For 25.6V nominal LiFePO4 system you need 8 cells in series; I am uncertain why you would need 10 or 12. You can go for 100A 8s BMS from Overkill Solar which includes Bluetooth module.

Batteryhookup.com has same BMS but sells Bluetooth module separately.

If you can wait for shipping try looking at the same BMS model 8s LiFePO4 100A UART from Aliexpress.

For 1200w of solar with 24V battery you will need a 50A Solar Charge Controller to two smaller ones.

For circuit protection buy DC breakers and fuses from reputable brands like Eaton Bussmann, Blue Sea Systems, or Carlington (MidNite Solar or Outback Solar).

Blue Sea Systems Class T fuses
Blue Sea Systems Class T fuse block

Eaton Bussmann DC Breakers link:

Panel Mounted unpolarized MidNite Solar DC Breakers link:

Polarized Din Rail Mounted MidNite Solar DC Breakers link: (typically used for PV circuits)

Any AC loads? I am assuming Air Conditioner. Companies are starting to bring 24Vdc air conditioners to market. You might want to look into them as you could have savings in not having an inverter or a smaller less expensive one.
Other in the forum have suggested this 24V inverter charger.

There are also all in one units. This is a 24V one from Growatt

Do you only need an AC charger? This 120V AC charger can do 37.5A for 24V.

This Victron 24V charger is quite good.

Last edited:
Sprinter always has room for an axillary alternator; check CW Mill or BSI manufacturer for aux bracketing systems. Ten cells sound like a weird configuration...

Thanks for all those product links!

Yes, I'm definitely a little confused in terms of how to configure the size (output) of LiFePO4 battery bank. How much output does an 8 cell 24v system generally provide? What if I want more output than those 8 cells have to offer? Is the only option then to build two eight cell banks? When buying off the shelf LiFePO4 batteries it seems that you can buy as many, and make the array as large as you like. Why then can you only have 8 cells max in a DIY system? Your patience with my inexperience and confusion is appreciated. :)

Sprinter always has room for an axillary alternator; check CW Mill or BSI manufacturer for aux bracketing systems. Ten cells sound like a weird configuration...
Even though the 814DA is not a sprinter, there should be room. It's the one on the far right in this image.

Attachments

• 698814_1261216_3349_2378_09A131.jpg
    698814_1261216_3349_2378_09A131.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 8
For 25.6V nominal LiFePO4 system you need 8 cells in series; I am uncertain why you would need 10 or 12. You can go for 100A 8s BMS from Overkill Solar which includes Bluetooth module.

Batteryhookup.com has same BMS but sells Bluetooth module separately.

If you can wait for shipping try looking at the same BMS model 8s LiFePO4 100A UART from Aliexpress.

For 1200w of solar with 24V battery you will need a 50A Solar Charge Controller to two smaller ones.

For circuit protection buy DC breakers and fuses from reputable brands like Eaton Bussmann, Blue Sea Systems, or Carlington (MidNite Solar or Outback Solar).

Blue Sea Systems Class T fuses
Blue Sea Systems Class T fuse block

Eaton Bussmann DC Breakers link:

Panel Mounted unpolarized MidNite Solar DC Breakers link:

Polarized Din Rail Mounted MidNite Solar DC Breakers link: (typically used for PV circuits)

Any AC loads? I am assuming Air Conditioner. Companies are starting to bring 24Vdc air conditioners to market. You might want to look into them as you could have savings in not having an inverter or a smaller less expensive one.
Other in the forum have suggested this 24V inverter charger.

Do you only need an AC charger? This 120V AC charger can do 37.5A for 24V.

This Victron 24V charger is quite good.
Do you have a link for 24V A/C by any chance?
Most of the truly 12/24V DC compressor very small one. For a 12/24 A/C it will be built in high voltage inverter most likely. Price will be much higher then AC 110V model. DC compressor is not widely available and very expensive.Personally I would go with old school 110V Dometic or Waeco roof top unit and good quality DC-AC 3500-5000W inverter.

Oops, I didn't pay attention. Sprinters is just so common for conversions..
No problem! Indeed they are. There's only 3-4 of these in the US right now. I'm not too worried about adding/replacing the alternator. That part I'm more familiar with.

Cells will be in multiples of 8 for your 24 volts. Whether 1 or more packs of 8S, or running parallel and in series 8S2P

as far as your vehicle battries can't be tied together... you can't mix lead acid and Lifepo. you will need 24v to 24v charger

I haven't looked into them, I merely have seen other forum members mention them. Did a quick search and I found this listing on Ebay. Some that I saw would not have both A/C efficiency and price. This is what I could quickly find that had both. Costs about double what a comparable 120V AC mini split would cost.

If you are knowledgeable enough the 120V mini split can be hacked to run on DC, most what I have heard convert 120V AC to 48V DC. I can't elaborate more as I have not looked into it. Or know if any work with 24V DC.

Got it! The Cells themselves do come both in 100Ah and 200Ah configurations, right?
Yes among others.
Read a bunch of the fact stuff as well as some of the info on marine systems. This will give you a better perspective on how the systems and cells work as well as how to protect your investment and yourself.

Good luck and great looking project. Looks like a Mog and a sprinter had a love child

I haven't looked into them, I merely have seen other forum members mention them. Did a quick search and I found this listing on Ebay. Some that I saw would not have both A/C efficiency and price. This is what I could quickly find that had both. Costs about double what a comparable 120V AC mini split would cost.

If you are knowledgeable enough the 120V mini split can be hacked to run on DC, most what I have heard convert 120V AC to 48V DC. I can't elaborate more as I have not looked into it. Or know if any work with 24V DC.
The link is for drain pump.

@Positronium

Newbie question:

So if I assemble eight of the 100Ah 3.2v Cells from Overkill Solar what will be the total output capacity?

Is the math as simple as 800Ah total?

Last edited:
Most of the truly 12/24V DC compressor very small one. For a 12/24 A/C it will be built in high voltage inverter most likely. Price will be much higher then AC 110V model. DC compressor is not widely available and very expensive.Personally I would go with old school 110V Dometic or Waeco roof top unit and good quality DC-AC 3500-5000W inverter.

Yes among others.
Read a bunch of the fact stuff as well as some of the info on marine systems. This will give you a better perspective on how the systems and cells work as well as how to protect your investment and yourself.

Good luck and great looking project. Looks like a Mog and a sprinter had a love child
Thanks! I laughed out loud when that read that because its true. I have a soft spot for boxes on wheels.

Back