diy off-grid regulation in Australia

sunshine

Solar Addict
here is a petition for interested people to sign requesting free access to all Australian standards.

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN4101
About time some action is taken to correct this.

For those wanting to know-
A foreign company, the US owned SAI Global were sold the rights to distribute Australian and NZ Standards a number of years ago and has been screwing us with ever increasing costs ever since. Whatever government numbat thought this to be ok is probably the real story!!

I see the web page for SAI Global now has this notice-

"SAI Global Standards is now part of Intertek, a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide."
....no doubt a lower taxation region.....time to screw the US?

Warpspeed

Solar Enthusiast
I currently have a 100 volt system (thirty LiFePO4 cells) and its been operating for enough years to keep me in the original less than 120 volt category.

So what I "could" do is ground the centre point of my battery so its +/- 50v dc.
It would need some interesting redesign of the home built solar controllers, but it would then effectively become two 50 volt systems.

Many homes in Australia, including my own, are supplied with two or three separate 240v phases.
Its still considered to be a 240v system, even though there is 415 volts between phases.

I don't see how two 50 volt dc systems are any different than that in the strict legal sense.
I am sure a silver tongued lawyer might successfully argue that distinction.

Last edited:

toms

Photon Sorcerer
It’s a pretty odd regulatory system where i am legally able to design and install a 40000V ignition system in my vehicle, but i can’t install a 160V PV array.

sunshine

Solar Addict
It would need some interesting redesign of the home built solar controllers, but it would then effectively become two 50 volt systems.
Still illegal!!.... Only 12 & 24v systems come under the new lower voltage rules (38v?)

Even my 12v system contravenes some chapters I have seen because the number of panels exceed the power limitation.

toms

Photon Sorcerer
Still illegal!!.... Only 12 & 24v systems come under the new lower voltage rules (38v?)

Even my 12v system contravenes some chapters I have seen because the number of panels exceed the power limitation.

PV is still ELV (120V)
BESS (batteries) are DVC-A (60V)

This is exactly why we need the standards to be easily accessible.

Tim Tim

Solar Enthusiast
Just came across this thread.

Australian Standards are not laws and are only enforceable when called up by legislation. In other words there has to be Acts or Regulations under Federal or State legislation that call them up then they become referenced documents and they can then be enforceable. Sometimes the whole standard is not called but it would be a long winded explanation to give such an example.

Last edited: