diy solar

diy solar

DIY season adjustable ground mount build

This looks fantastic, I have been searching and searching for something that I liked in a DIY ground mount and I think I found it. Mind you I will only have 6 panels so will be on a much smaller scale.

Need to find some pallet racking now!

The weather was not great but I have no patience. The wire pull went relatively smoothly. The steel fish tape I used wouldn't go around the last 90 so I had to fish it out with some solid copper wire.

20230205_130609.jpg

20230205_140420.jpg20230205_165317.jpg
20230205_155301.jpg

I just use a piece of foam and vacuum cleaner to pull string or mule tape thru conduit. A plastic bag works good too, just ball it up and tie on the mule tape. For long distances over a few hundred feet, you will have to pull string and use the string to pull the mule tape thru. Rope works too instead of mule tape but can get a little stretchy over longer distances.

Fish tape is ok for short distances, I've pulled plenty of wire thru walls and other places. Not so great with a few 90's.

Looks like things are coming along nicely for you, won't be long and you will be up and running. Great job.

I just use a piece of foam and vacuum cleaner to pull string or mule tape thru conduit. A plastic bag works good too, just ball it up and tie on the mule tape. For long distances over a few hundred feet, you will have to pull string and use the string to pull the mule tape thru. Rope works too instead of mule tape but can get a little stretchy over longer distances.

Fish tape is ok for short distances, I've pulled plenty of wire thru walls and other places. Not so great with a few 90's.

Looks like things are coming along nicely for you, won't be long and you will be up and running. Great job.
I bought some poly line too but I wasn't sure if it was strong enough so I just used the steel fish tape directly. By the end of the pull I was using at least a couple hundred pounds of force, even with quite a bit of wire lube.

It was pretty cloudy today but my system hit an instantaneous solar power record briefly. I also got close to maxing out the 15k's inverter output at one point.

Screenshot_20230206_170607_PV Pro.jpgScreenshot_20230206_123833_PV Pro.jpg

Is your mount tiltable with linear actuators or do you have to manual adjust?

I made a little progress. I added 3 more 280Ah seplos kits so I have a full stack now. I have communication working with the sol-ark so I don't have to deal with the crappy SoC estimation anymore. I also got the first post in for the final array but the ground is too wet again so it may be awhile before I can finish that.

Attachments

• 20230404_193015.jpg
    20230404_193015.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230412_182618.jpg
    20230412_182618.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20230405_190026.jpg
    20230405_190026.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi there @niktak11! If you are interested in getting wind loads on your panels during a storm, you can use my new free online simulation tool: solarcfd.com
I developed this online tool and released it a few weeks ago. I am currently looking for feedback. So I'd be happy, if you could leave a comment - either here or on the webpage in the feedback form.

Btw: great work, you are doing there!
Best
akimakes
Good info just saved it
Thanks

Once it gets inside the house
I’m not so cool about these plastic DIN beaker boxes. Seeing one on a video with overheated surge arrestors looking more like a napalm maker doesn’t give me much assurance. It’s on my list to make metal.

I’m not so cool about these plastic DIN beaker boxes. Seeing one on a video with overheated surge arrestors looking more like a napalm maker doesn’t give me much assurance. It’s on my list to make metal.
Were they IMOs? I've never heard of anyone having trouble with those.

The weather was not great but I have no patience. The wire pull went relatively smoothly. The steel fish tape I used wouldn't go around the last 90 so I had to fish it out with some solid copper wire.

View attachment 133517

View attachment 133513View attachment 133514
View attachment 133516
Wow that's a lot of wires, seems like a lot for one array, or is this for future arrays, and you're just running them all now?

How many wires, the gauges and size of the conduit? I bet that was a fun pull..

Wow that's a lot of wires, seems like a lot for one array, or is this for future arrays, and you're just running them all now?

How many wires, the gauges and size of the conduit? I bet that was a fun pull..
Two 8 AWG and eight 10 AWG for that pull through 1" PVC. Then at the first junction box at the house it met up with the conduit from the two arrays behind the house for a total of 14 wires in the last pull through 1 1/4" PVC. The pull through the 1" was more difficult. By the end I was using at least 200lbs of force and starting to worry that the fish tape might break.

Back