diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar canoe?

1586993059353.png

Well my plans changed once again. I realized any kind of canoe or kayak or whatever, I needed a roof rack, and those cost anywhere from $250-600 and I really have no other use for them so...I went the inflatable route. After just a few days of watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace like a hawk, I came across this guy. What a deal! Sea Eagle boat, floor, V Max battery, 30 lb. motor, paddles, an electric pump and a bunch of other little trinkets all for just $250! I picked it up right away so this will be the platform for my solar boat!

Now all I need is the panels and MPPT, and figure out how the heck I'm going to rig it all up!

Shit I woulda sold you my native instruments with motor and threw in a universal roof rack for $150.

I don't know what that is and I don't know where you live but I suspect shipping would have been $$$$$$. That's why I didn't reply, sorry.

View attachment 11113

Well my plans changed once again. I realized any kind of canoe or kayak or whatever, I needed a roof rack, and those cost anywhere from $250-600 and I really have no other use for them so...I went the inflatable route. After just a few days of watching Craigslist and FB Marketplace like a hawk, I came across this guy. What a deal! Sea Eagle boat, floor, V Max battery, 30 lb. motor, paddles, an electric pump and a bunch of other little trinkets all for just $250! I picked it up right away so this will be the platform for my solar boat!

Now all I need is the panels and MPPT, and figure out how the heck I'm going to rig it all up!
I think this may be better anyhow if you want to add a solar roof it will be way more stable.

Great boat! Some poor guy didn't know what he had.

For your first attempt at a solar panel frame, try some PVC sch. 80 pipe. Any hardware store should have 3/4" pipe and the "TEEs" and ELBOWs you would need. Glued up PVC pipe won't damage your hull, and you can modify your frame until you get a design you can make work the way you want. If you seal any openings, your frame should even float.

I know! When I contacted him, he said he said he had some guy coming over to give him a "deposit" tonight. I said "Deposit!? I'll come and give you cash right now!" and that's how that happened.

That's exactly what I had planned to do! just drape the PVC frame across the front and back of the boat and tie it down somehow.

So I'm not a boaterman. I started investigating where I can drop the boat in the water just to test it before ordering the solar components. It didn't occur to me that absolutely everything is closed...

So I'm not a boaterman. I started investigating where I can drop the boat in the water just to test it before ordering the solar components. It didn't occur to me that absolutely everything is closed...
Wow that sucks. But thanks for the inspiration I am now actively looking for pontoon boat like yours.

I'm thinking twin engine though :)

That's not a bad idea if you can fit all those panels on there! I guess you don't have to cruise constantly like I'm hoping to.

This is also evolving into a "solar generator" project somehow. I just ordered a 2000W inverter. Why do I do this to myself?

But it kinda makes sense to make use of the 65kWh battery in my Chevy Bolt. And I also have a Volt in case I somehow use all of that, I have a backup (gas) generator.

This EV stuff is just turning out to be a big rabbit hole.

I wonder if you could use oars to attach to trolling motor and make a makeshift windmill with it? Just flip it upside down and charge up.

It's funny you should mention that. I was planning to attach a towel or some sort of fabric to the back of the solar panel frame to catch some wind if I happen to find myself going downwind.

Got my first solar panel today!

Attachments

• 20200419_125051_HDR.jpg
    20200419_125051_HDR.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 6
Threw together a quick video with concept and mockup:

Feedback is welcome and requested.

I'll be interested to see how it turns out ..... but it makes me cringe watching that trolling motor run without being in the water. It will ruin the seal to the motor housing and let water leak into the armature. I would take the prop off the motor and let in run in a bucket of water to protect the seal.

Looks great. I still think for a first attempt at a frame that 3/4" sch. 80 PVC pipe should be OK. Once you have the bugs worked out, then look at building an Aluminum or other type metal frame. Mounting the Battery may require some type of plywood or "Duckboard" (Cedar 1x2 boards) to spread the weight around, and allow the battery box to be fasten securely. Used a 30 lb. Minn Kota in the late '80s - early '90s on a poly hull canoe successfully for fishing. SEA EAGLE should work as good, or maybe better. Only concern of note is - will the frame to hold the solar panel once you build it.

@Grumpy 49 the boat has a hard plate that goes in the bottom. I'll show you later. I've managed to find a couple of places I think I can throw the boat in just for a test drive so I'll make another quick video then.

Small update. I just tested the boat itself today. No solar anything. Works great! Perfect size! Actually I can't believe how lucky I've been on this project. Everything is just coming along perfectly! I mean just look at the size of that panel on top of the boat. I couldn't have planned this any better if I actually tried.

Strange thing is, I hooked up the charge controller and battery after I got back. The charge controller shows 16.1 amps @ 36.6V. That comes out to...589 watts. From a 365W panel. What am I missing here?

Attachments

• 20200503_144853_HDR.jpg
    20200503_144853_HDR.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200503_162929_HDR.jpg
    20200503_162929_HDR.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 9
Back