diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar canoe?

I have a canak - hybrid kayak with a 30lb motor. They make motor mounts for canoes and kayaks.

But if I were trying this id get a sea eagle inflatable. You can get everything you want as an accessory including a canopy, steering wheel, transom mount. Just put some panels on the canopy.

CP.jpg71fXcW9KTHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Starting with a fully charge LiFePo battery, and a 100 watt panel, should be a no brainer. I think I was only using the #2 setting on a Minn Kota 35 lb motor, and cruised steadily at speed (2 - 3 mph) for about 5 hours. LiFePo batteries have a greater capacity, and with ~3 Amps from a 100 watt panel recharging your battery, think you should get what you want. (Panels never provide full amperage in a moving vehicle.)

Key issue is to keep the battery (and its' weight) towards the front of the canoe. Placing the battery near/under the front seat and insulated it from any metal contact, your canoe should then "glide" over the water. As the LiFePo batteries are so light, may have to place it closer to the bow. My Scanoe didn't even leave a wake at the lower motor setting with this set-up. Don't move the battery towards the back of your canoe. Without the battery weight far enough forward to counterbalance your weight, speed goes down, and battery draw goes up. Don't be afraid to try moving the battery around to find the "sweet spot". Harbor Freight has Jumper Cables, and you can use heat shrink tubing to make a custom wiring harness once you find the sweet spot.

@Ped I'm not sure about inflatables, I'd hate to be 20 miles from the car when it develops a leak or something. Do you have a link to that specific boat in the photo? These look pretty expensive.

@Grumpy 49 Welp. It's not a "no-brainer" or I wouldn't be here. LifePo costs significantly more and provide no appreciable benefit that I can tell. I do not need them to be light and I do not need them to have a large capacity. Seems like money is better spent on solar panels to just generate the power instead of relying on it to be stored.

So upgrade to a LiFePo battery when or if you get sufficient funds. Sealed Lead trolling motor batteries are heavy. Moving such batteries in and out of a canoe is work. And at my age, every ounce counts.

To get what you want, (3 mph) you'll need about 12 amps from your panels to run a typical trolling motor. How big/heavy are enough panels to get a steady 12 Amps output?

SEA EAGLE boats are tough, and with multiple chambers. Maybe safer than a mono hull like a canoe. I went with a square stern Scanoe because I could get a Scanoe, trolling motor, battery, battery box, and new Jumper Cables for a lot less money than a bare bone SEA EAGLE. That was true 30+ years ago, and more so now.

Yeah, I'm not old and have no problem moving them in and out of the boat so I don't know why I would upgrade. I have plenty of money, I'm just not sure how much I want to dedicate to this project at this time.

Previous posts in this thread cover how much power is needed, and the associated weight.

I think I'll stick with the Scanoe idea, thanks. I'm sure I'll find one, just have to be patient.

If you have the funds, get either an aluminum or fiberglass square stern canoe. As example, an OLD TOWN aluminum canoe, if not used in salt water, can be handed down to your grand kids. If you want cheap, check directboats website. They have poly, fiberglass, or aluminum canoes.

Im actually looking to sell my setup. Its a native ultimate 12 with 30lb thrust.

Looks very similiar to this

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Similar to the Eclipse... Electric Powered SUP Board, just add panels...
maxresdefault_2048x2048.jpg

Or, since it's for river travel and not fishing ... eFoils...
Capture.PNG

Yeah, I understand all of these things exist, but once again, I'm not looking to invest a ton of money in it. If I was, I would just pick up an Old Town Predator that has all this stuff built in and ready to go for $2600.

Earlier, I started another thread as I wanted to get help/info to build a small solar powered pontoon boat. Leaning towards a 4 person MITEY-TOON. Problem is that while the pontoon boat can be purchased complete with an electric trolling motor, nobody has any plans for a mount for the solar panels. Thinking was to get ~300 watt panel, and build a mount such that the panel would be used in lieu of a bimini top for shade.

If a pontoon boat is too big, try a 10' or 12' john boat. Much easier to find, and with a single user, a solar panel could be simply mounted in the bow by attaching it to the front seat.

I was thinking of getting a traditional bimini top frame and just attaching the panels to that somehow.

John Boat will also not fit in/on my car.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. Lots of room, very stable (pontoon), cheap, comes with 40lb. motor and batteries.

1586537613425.png

Did a quick internet search, and saw that the Twin Troller X10 (@ www.freedomelectric.com) is still in production. Just buy one, and just add a simple solar power supply kit (Harbor Freight???) to replace one of the seats. Won't be able to put it on the roof of a car, but should fit in the bed of a truck. Worst case, get a cheap flatbed trailer from Harbor Freight to haul it.

Dude...those things START at $3300. I do not own or need a truck. Nor do I want to spend thousands of dollars on a trailer.

I appreciate your input but I dont understand why people keep suggesting unnecessarily and outrageously expensive things. This entire project is going to be done <$1k.

New Minn Kota 40 lb Trolling Motor & Deep Cycle #29 size Lead Acid battery =~$275 from ACADEMY. Guess #29 size battery box would be less than $30. Jumper Cables and heat shrink tubing from Harbor Freight should be less than $30 on sale. Leaves about $350 for a canoe, and about $200 for a 100 watt solar power kit, to hold the $1,000 limit. Will an used canoe work??? Otherwise, a new canoe would put you well over $1,000.

Back