diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar generator to run power tools: start surge miter saw issue

Any motor with brushes will operate fine with lower voltage and the speed will be a little slower. I would just make an easy cut. Every miter and hand circular saw I've seen has brushes. I built a transformer box from an old small UPS. The transformer that came with it was easily good for 25A. The plastic box had 6 outlets and I wired 3 for 110V and 3 for 100V. I picked mine up for free at recycling since these are throw away when battery dies. This would work for coffee pots and other heater appliances that might bog down a small inverter.
UPS1s.jpgUPS2s.jpg

Last edited:
want to learn what was possible practically and theoretically running a 1HP 120V compressor off the truck using a small and portable system, and what could be done (from small size on up) with the equipment I have.
Ok. If that is the goal - great! As efficientpv indicated you can manipulate electricity to surrender and serve you.

If your goal segues to practicality and you don’t mind departing from the equipment you already have then you actually can do A LOT without spending huge amounts of cash. 1HP is ~768W. I have a Reliable/QZRELB 2000W 12V inverter on hand that is only 11W no load consumption. I beat the snot out of it for ‘test’ purposes with a 700W coffeemaker, my ~850W shopvac, and a 750W electric heater and it started the shopvac just fine. I wanted to see it fault out and turned on the only 120VAC lights I had and plugged in the laptop but actually all it did was deplete my batteries ‘til it quit under low voltage.
Why didn’t it trip out? Dunno but it impressed me.

Point? That inverter and a $350 LiFePo with some panels and an Epever and for not much over $1000 you have usable dependable mobile power on 12V. Or an MPP AIO 3000W but those are 24V.

I’m not a hack-n-have guru in the UPS-to-lunar-lander diy department though.

Thanks. Yes I hear what you are saying;

Point? That inverter and a $350 LiFePo with some panels and an Epever and for not much over $1000 you have usable dependable mobile power on 12V. Or an MPP AIO 3000W but those are 24V.

That makes sense. What is going on with the box you built? (Free at recycling, so cool!) Is that a dc to ac transformer?

Back