diy solar

diy solar

DIY Solar options for Stone-Coated Steel Roof?

SolarFrank

How much of a unicorn do I have? I tried to find some local turn-key solutions where I am at (Colorado) but mostly struck out. Thankfully, I found two that would would not immediately hang up on me upon mention of a stone-coated steel roof! They both came in around $35K (for a 6kW system) due to me having a roof that is "too difficult to work with". Better than getting hung up on but still about 10-15k more than I was hoping to spend.

I know when I bought the roof it was designed to last but I did not know it would scare off solar contractors and solar really was not a thing 20 years ago so...

Any hope for me being able to get something like this done on my own or is this something best left to the turn-key people?

Sheeting that looks like tiles? Still learning! I can see how that would give installers the creeps. No ridges in the sheet to put the rack feet on top of and spreaders would crush the tile-ish bit flat plus be a PITA to seal.

There's always some way to do it though, but that's what I had in mind crushing the tile flat. I guess if there is enough space in the flat it'd be OK.

Well I would say just wait until that roof needs replacing, but I guess you want to get this done within your lifetime! :)
I'm sure it can be done with the right anchors, plus figuring out how to walk on the roof without causing damage. As you found out it will cost a lot to pay someone else to do it. Are you a strong DIY-er? Or, got space for ground mounted panels?

I sadly do not have room for ground mounted panels due to shading and pets.

I got a hold of the company that installed the roof. They don't do solar installations but they would get back to me with some names of other roofing companies/contractors that they work with that do!

Those solarack brackets might work but I have no experience in roofing (the description makes it sound so easy) and have no idea how many of those I would need ($21/ea!)

Thank you both for the ideas and help!

... They both came in around $35K (for a 6kW system) due to me having a roof that is "too difficult to work with". ...
$5.83/W ... Sounds like utter nonsense to me... See What should you pay for a Solar Installation?

6 kW isn't that big these days either. Are you off-grid or does that include battery-backup or something?

If you can't find a reputable installer or DIY than I suggest a turnkey company (e.g., Tesla, Enphase). If that won't work see about hiring a contractor to lift the stuff to the roof and install the mounts. Hire an electrician to run the wires, then have the contractor come back to mount the panels to the rails and plug the connectors together.
Here's the first stone-coated steel tile roof mount: http://www.solarackusa.com/product/stone-coated-metal-kit/ I found in a few seconds of googling and it shows the basic costs aren't much different.

It's probably more of a concern about walking across them, possibly fragile like tile. However, the roofers that installed them have the tools and know-how to traverse them safely - and fix them - so they might be the ideal company to mount them.
stone-coated-metal-roof-mount-with-logo-600x450.jpg

Basically you plunk a few of those down on the roof, have rails attached across them, run the wires in conduit, then mount the panels to the rails. You can find companies on the internet that will generate the plans to get you through the building permits and what the contractor/electrician need.
Example

Plan it all out carefully before you start. It can be done, but expect a lot of frustrations in the course of this adventure if DIY or multiple contractors.

Good luck and please keep us informed!

Last edited:
@SolarFrank I wanted to install myself, but ended up using Westhaven Solar for this install. They did have to come back to fix a few mounting points as seen here:

1597691784669.jpeg

1597691856215.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4050.jpg
    IMG_4050.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 7
How much of a unicorn do I have? I tried to find some local turn-key solutions where I am at (Colorado) but mostly struck out. Thankfully, I found two that would would not immediately hang up on me upon mention of a stone-coated steel roof! They both came in around $35K (for a 6kW system) due to me having a roof that is "too difficult to work with". Better than getting hung up on but still about 10-15k more than I was hoping to spend.

I know when I bought the roof it was designed to last but I did not know it would scare off solar contractors and solar really was not a thing 20 years ago so...

Any hope for me being able to get something like this done on my own or is this something best left to the turn-key people?
You can try it, but keep in mind that it's long and tedious, I think it's better to entrust it to second parties

Solar roofs are so cool, I mean having that source of energy must be nice. I was planning to get a solar roof, but at the last moment I went with a regular tiled roof. It is really good, but I think that I will get a solar one in the next few years. The guys that did my roof did an awesome job, it was expensive, but it is done right. Still, my neighbor has a solar roof and because we compete about everything I have to get one too. He is constantly bragging about how cool it is and how his house is powered by it and everything is awesome, it really is annoying...

How about making an awning, solar panels extending out from the eves?

Hedges, that's not the best idea as you will have to spend a lot of money on the reinforced base for the canopy
Depends on how far out.
Could be redwood 2x4 attached to rafters at the eves, supported by horizontal 2x4 back to the wall.

The idea was to not mess with the roof; this could be detached leaving just a few screw holes to plug.
Similar to one of these, but starting at edge of roof so it doesn't get shaded:

If you do make it larger with posts to the ground, those can be set in concrete like a fence post. For my ground-mounted arrays, some legs I bolted to existing patio, and some I simply drove the 2" pipe a couple feet into the dirt.

How much of a unicorn do I have? I tried to find some local turn-key solutions where I am at (Colorado) but mostly struck out. Thankfully, I found two that would would not immediately hang up on me upon mention of a stone coated metal roof! They both came in around $35K (for a 6kW system) due to me having a roof that is "too difficult to work with". Better than getting hung up on but still about 10-15k more than I was hoping to spend.

I am looking at installing decora stone-coated metal tiles and was wondering what kind of saw blade to use

Back