diy solar

diy solar

DLG E-BOX 48100R, testing and tinkering.

Hi there, does anyone have access to 20.C8 (latest) - 48100R C variant firmware? It's supposed to fix the SOC reporting issue that i have with a Deye sun-12k.

Have a great one!

Update:

I reconfigured the batteries so that one of my old ones was the master, the new one that wasn’t communicating with the inverter was the #1 slave, and my other old one was the #2 slave.

Everything is working now as the new one communicates with the other batteries but not the inverter. Perhaps the serial port was wired incorrectly or it is running a different firmware version? I don’t know!

It works in this configuration for anyone who may have a similar issue.

hi
i just started testing my small solar setup with MPP LV6548 and one pytes E-box 48100 R with the revision B
will ad more battery later this summer when its fully install so i'm just testing thing out for now
and a have issue with the battery bms com485 stoping to communicate with the inverter after a few hour of running
the battery logo stop flashing on the inverter and the error 61 pop-up for missing com with battery BMS
without touching anything the communication with the battery stop working

did your experience a similar issue with your MPP inverter and the Pytes battery

thank you for any info

Kine41.

hi
i just started testing my small solar setup with MPP LV6548 and one pytes E-box 48100 R with the revision B
will ad more battery later this summer when its fully install so i'm just testing thing out for now
and a have issue with the battery bms com485 stoping to communicate with the inverter after a few hour of running
the battery logo stop flashing on the inverter and the error 61 pop-up for missing com with battery BMS
without touching anything the communication with the battery stop working

did your experience a similar issue with your MPP inverter and the Pytes battery

thank you for any info

Kine41.
What firmware version are you currrently on ?

hi

LV6458 inverter firmware
U2 MCU display 112.19
U1 DSP 69.03

have not yet been able to connect to battery BMS via rs232 console with hyper terminal
still trying to make the right connector pin out

the thing is this battery work for more than 7 days before the BMS stop responding
and inverter shutting down after loosing com with BMS

i'm sure that i will need to update or reload the firmware of the battery and was wandering what is the
latest firmware version for this battery
it was purchase in december 2022 and has a built date of june-15-2022

will continue trying to access the bms battery with hyper terminal to see what firmware its running
just need to figure out the right command in hyper terminal to get these info
from battery without breaking anything in there

thanks for any Help

Kine41

hi

LV6458 inverter firmware
U2 MCU display 112.19
U1 DSP 69.03

have not yet been able to connect to battery BMS via rs232 console with hyper terminal
still trying to make the right connector pin out

the thing is this battery work for more than 7 days before the BMS stop responding
and inverter shutting down after loosing com with BMS

i'm sure that i will need to update or reload the firmware of the battery and was wandering what is the
latest firmware version for this battery
it was purchase in december 2022 and has a built date of june-15-2022

will continue trying to access the bms battery with hyper terminal to see what firmware its running
just need to figure out the right command in hyper terminal to get these info
from battery without breaking anything in there

thanks for any Help

Kine41
What version of battery do you have A, B, C8 or C16 ?

Also what is your current version ?

Console cable is same as Cisco.. cheap as chips on Fleabay...

I doubt its the firmware thats causing the issue.. once you get a console cable sorted you will be able to see error codes and if the BMS is still responding when it locks up..

Hi thank for the cable info will order it and look into the bms log for the trouble code
and then i could see what is my firmware version

also got the inverter version incorrect in my first post it's the MPP LV6548

when the battery BMS locks UP status light on the battery are frozen as well and the run led is lid solid not slow blinking anymore
and also the SOC led are stuck at 4 led illuminated even when the actual voltage is down to 47 volt on the battery output
when i check with voltmeter

temp in my garage is AC ventilation regulated year round to 21c (70 F) so the system is not overheating or freezing cold
to be a reason of this behaviour of the bms battery or the inverter but the battery has temp sensor that could go bad.
any way looking forward to see what are the trouble code being store in the bms memory when i get the cable com console sorted out

also my battery is version B if i look at this reference of pytes battery version posted here on the forum by user themizz

pytes battery version.png

Hi thank for the cable info will order it and look into the bms log for the trouble code
and then i could see what is my firmware version

also got the inverter version incorrect in my first post it's the MPP LV6548

when the battery BMS locks UP status light on the battery are frozen as well and the run led is lid solid not slow blinking anymore
and also the SOC led are stuck at 4 led illuminated even when the actual voltage is down to 47 volt on the battery output
when i check with voltmeter

temp in my garage is AC ventilation regulated year round to 21c (70 F) so the system is not overheating or freezing cold
to be a reason of this behaviour of the bms battery or the inverter but the battery has temp sensor that could go bad.
any way looking forward to see what are the trouble code being store in the bms memory when i get the cable com console sorted out

also my battery is version B if i look at this reference of pytes battery version posted here on the forum by user themizz

View attachment 147189

Did you get sorted ?

Just a thought if you havent.. have seen some threads of people have comms issues with BMS due to RF noise.. which were solved by wrapping the CanBus / RS485 cable and battery cables around a ferrite ring... might be worth a try

hi
Thank you for the follow up

i have yet to receive the cable,
its supposed to arrive this week at the latest (slow boat from China!!)
but great tips for using ferrite to filter out possible noise interference
will ad it to my setup for extra protection

Kine41

Hi guys, I have the following issue, currently I have one battery version A and another one is version B, when my battery pack reaches voltage during discharge close to 51V I can see that battery type A is actually depleting quicker according the Capacity indicators then battery type B and the difference can go to up to 20%.
When they are in the mid section of their state of charge both batteries seems to have almost equal indicators +\- 3% difference.
I have the suspicion that my battery type A has got some sort of issue indicating the actual state of charge , because when I observe them with PytesBat software I have notice discrepancies between SoC and and actual capacity, please see attached picture
Thank you in advance for any suggestionsScreenshot 2023-10-01 at 12.25.21.png

P.S. same scenario happens when I swap master and slave to be Type B then Type A

Hey Guys,
I need some urgent help here, got 3 pytes batteries , 2 with the same soft Main Soft version : SPBMS6SRP2110V1.1

tried to update them both with the file here both are on ALM now... no idea what to do.
Both are reporting condition 4 - 100 percent

My 3rd one is with new soft

SPBMS16SRP2111V1.3.2

tried to pull that software down and use it but instead stuck the battery in:

BootLoader soft version: V1.6

Updata is ready!

Program start!

Any help will be gladly appreciated !
did you find a fix to the "stuck in bootloader" issue? how do exit ?
Best regards, Christian

Hey Guys,
I need some urgent help here, got 3 pytes batteries , 2 with the same soft Main Soft version : SPBMS6SRP2110V1.1

tried to update them both with the file here both are on ALM now... no idea what to do.
Both are reporting condition 4 - 100 percent

My 3rd one is with new soft

SPBMS16SRP2111V1.3.2

tried to pull that software down and use it but instead stuck the battery in:

BootLoader soft version: V1.6

Updata is ready!

Program start!

Any help will be gladly appreciated !
Hi, did you find a fix to this issue ?

I'm no stranger to Unix or CLI (see my handle), but RS-232 configuration with Xmodem for a (supposedly) smart battery in 2023? Is that a joke ? Does it have any ways of connecting it to the LAN to at least do things remotely, let alone using an app and not a console window?

Hi there, does anyone have access to 20.C8 (latest) - 48100R C variant firmware? It's supposed to fix the SOC reporting issue that i have with a Deye sun-12k.

Have a great one!

A bit late, but I noticed no one seems to have what I have (V1.5.24.C8). I'm running your setup (2x 48100R-C + SUN-12K) - so that's interesting .. :)
Attached is what I got from my vendor.

Attachments

• SPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.24.C8.bin.zip
    110.1 KB · Views: 13
Hi everyone.
Long time lurker.
Had two of these batteries installed back in a February. Batteries never performed anywhere close to their rated.
Installer didn't want to know. All of the so-called regulators didn't care and sided with the installers and closed our complaints in August. All rather shocking and shows how, at least in the UK, the whole industry is full of cowboys.

Anyway, that was all depressing that I have left it be since August or so.

However, recently I have started taking things more seriously again.

Firstly, we have off-peak overnight so have started charging the batteries overnight.

Then I have been logging in (bought a Cisco-style console cable months ago and have the laptop on RDP and logging duty in the attic), and have noticed a few things:
  1. The batteries do not discharge evenly. I have charge each on it's own too 100% then when both were full re-connected. The same thing. Battery #1 (the master) will report SOC of 8% or so while the other can be still be 50%. Once the average of the two reached 10% the inverter stops using them
  2. Posted the battery info over at an other forum, and someone noticed that for LiFePO4 batteries, the voltages when they think they are empty are pretty high.
    1. When batteries are full (98% to 100%) the average voltages all the cells are 3,330 mV
    2. When the batteries are "empty" with bat#1 at "0%" and bat#2 at ~23%, the voltages per cell are 3,299 mV
  3. So no wonder they battery delivers no charge (charging them from the DoD of 10% to 100% takes 3 to 4 kWh rather than the expected 9 to 10 kWh.
Another thing I noticed today, is that back in February the batteries were not charging and the installer sent their electrician around to lots of customers to change the firmware as the old one would only charge when it as 15°C or higher.
And the PuTTY info and now the PytesBat (just started using that today - as only Pytes USA have it hidden on their website) all give me this:
Device address : 1
Manufacturer : PYTES
Device name : E-BOX-48100R-C
Board version : SQBMSV15
Main Soft version : SPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.17.C8
Soft version : V1.5
Boot version : V1.9
Comm version : V2.0
Release Date : 22-12-12
Barcode : LC0B010402430690
Board ID : GD333531550011363734367818

So C with firmware from about a year ago.
Yet, I looked at the "How to tell the version apart" posted by themizz and others:
r4LyDYG.png

with a photo of our batteries:
2uQ5OkZ.jpg

That looks more like a B. The ports with the metallic parts, the LED and it's indicator bar. All point to B the only "C" feature is the DIP switches being 6 rather than 4.
Confused.
Could the electrician have upgrade to the wrong firmware? And rather than bricking it, they BMS now thinks that the lowest point for each cell is 3,2x Volts, rather than 3.0 or so we might expect from LiFePO4 cells?

I did peek around the side to where the labels are but did not see any model version number. Serial number matched though!

Rest of system is an Afore 36L, and 10 415W panels. The DIP switches (on the master, the above is the slave battery) is set for Afore and until this week the Afore inverter was set to Pytes but after reading the Pytes USA installation guide I changed it to Afore - guess it makes sense that with the DIP switches set to Afore it should emulate the Afore batteries and thence have that setting in the inverter. This change has made no difference though!

Have tried contacting Pytes (globally, NL, and USA) but nobody will respond to my questions.

In this thread I see people post the whole battery voltage curves (presuambly using something like the Pytes BMStestV2.6 software), but nobody has posted the cell voltages. What is the voltage I should be seeing when the whole battery is at 10% ?

Hi everyone.
Long time lurker.
Had two of these batteries installed back in a February. Batteries never performed anywhere close to their rated.
Installer didn't want to know. All of the so-called regulators didn't care and sided with the installers and closed our complaints in August. All rather shocking and shows how, at least in the UK, the whole industry is full of cowboys.

Anyway, that was all depressing that I have left it be since August or so.

However, recently I have started taking things more seriously again.

Firstly, we have off-peak overnight so have started charging the batteries overnight.

Then I have been logging in (bought a Cisco-style console cable months ago and have the laptop on RDP and logging duty in the attic), and have noticed a few things:
  1. The batteries do not discharge evenly. I have charge each on it's own too 100% then when both were full re-connected. The same thing. Battery #1 (the master) will report SOC of 8% or so while the other can be still be 50%. Once the average of the two reached 10% the inverter stops using them
  2. Posted the battery info over at an other forum, and someone noticed that for LiFePO4 batteries, the voltages when they think they are empty are pretty high.
    1. When batteries are full (98% to 100%) the average voltages all the cells are 3,330 mV
    2. When the batteries are "empty" with bat#1 at "0%" and bat#2 at ~23%, the voltages per cell are 3,299 mV
  3. So no wonder they battery delivers no charge (charging them from the DoD of 10% to 100% takes 3 to 4 kWh rather than the expected 9 to 10 kWh.
Another thing I noticed today, is that back in February the batteries were not charging and the installer sent their electrician around to lots of customers to change the firmware as the old one would only charge when it as 15°C or higher.
And the PuTTY info and now the PytesBat (just started using that today - as only Pytes USA have it hidden on their website) all give me this:
Device address : 1
Manufacturer : PYTES
Device name : E-BOX-48100R-C
Board version : SQBMSV15
Main Soft version : SPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.17.C8
Soft version : V1.5
Boot version : V1.9
Comm version : V2.0
Release Date : 22-12-12
Barcode : LC0B010402430690
Board ID : GD333531550011363734367818

So C with firmware from about a year ago.
Yet, I looked at the "How to tell the version apart" posted by themizz and others:
r4LyDYG.png

with a photo of our batteries:
2uQ5OkZ.jpg

That looks more like a B. The ports with the metallic parts, the LED and it's indicator bar. All point to B the only "C" feature is the DIP switches being 6 rather than 4.
Confused.
Could the electrician have upgrade to the wrong firmware? And rather than bricking it, they BMS now thinks that the lowest point for each cell is 3,2x Volts, rather than 3.0 or so we might expect from LiFePO4 cells?

I did peek around the side to where the labels are but did not see any model version number. Serial number matched though!

Rest of system is an Afore 36L, and 10 415W panels. The DIP switches (on the master, the above is the slave battery) is set for Afore and until this week the Afore inverter was set to Pytes but after reading the Pytes USA installation guide I changed it to Afore - guess it makes sense that with the DIP switches set to Afore it should emulate the Afore batteries and thence have that setting in the inverter. This change has made no difference though!

Have tried contacting Pytes (globally, NL, and USA) but nobody will respond to my questions.

In this thread I see people post the whole battery voltage curves (presuambly using something like the Pytes BMStestV2.6 software), but nobody has posted the cell voltages. What is the voltage I should be seeing when the whole battery is at 10% ?
Hi please see my batteries results when they were depleted

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 02.31.18.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 02.31.18.png
    745.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 02.32.06.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 02.32.06.png
    817.2 KB · Views: 22
Hi please see my batteries results when they were depleted
Thanks, that's exactly what I asked for!

Mine are not discharging evenly but at their min (bat #1 at 0%, and bat #2 at 22% for an 11% average according to the Inverter), I get:

etJ3SsV.png

jabt29E.png

So battery total voltages is 53.792V and 53.8V (avg: 53.796V).
And cells are min 3.364V and 3.366V (avg of the mins between the two batteries: 3.365V).

Yet, the battery says is empty.

Whereas yours are 3.025V + 3.05V per cell with the whole batteries at 49.36x V.

So it may even that it is not so much that our batteries don't hold a charge, but rather that the BMS leaves each cell at over 50% full.

A pity that I have had no response from Pytes as I want to ask them about which model we have. From the photos I posted in my previous post, ours look more like version/revision B with the DIP switches of C. In which case, did the installer's electrician update the wrong firmware?

Going to email the gmail on Pytes.NL's Facebook page asking precisely that: give them the serial numbers (firmware and label do agree on those and they are almost consecutive: LC0B010402430687 and LC0B010402430690 - so unlike yours they are likely to be same version) and ask them which version they are.

Very reluctant to upgrade the firmware until I know which version they are, even if possibly our batteries have been running the wrong firmware for months now!

Thanks, that's exactly what I asked for!

Mine are not discharging evenly but at their min (bat #1 at 0%, and bat #2 at 22% for an 11% average according to the Inverter), I get:

etJ3SsV.png

jabt29E.png

So battery total voltages is 53.792V and 53.8V (avg: 53.796V).
And cells are min 3.364V and 3.366V (avg of the mins between the two batteries: 3.365V).

Yet, the battery says is empty.

Whereas yours are 3.025V + 3.05V per cell with the whole batteries at 49.36x V.

So it may even that it is not so much that our batteries don't hold a charge, but rather that the BMS leaves each cell at over 50% full.

A pity that I have had no response from Pytes as I want to ask them about which model we have. From the photos I posted in my previous post, ours look more like version/revision B with the DIP switches of C. In which case, did the installer's electrician update the wrong firmware?

Going to email the gmail on Pytes.NL's Facebook page asking precisely that: give them the serial numbers (firmware and label do agree on those and they are almost consecutive: LC0B010402430687 and LC0B010402430690 - so unlike yours they are likely to be same version) and ask them which version they are.

Very reluctant to upgrade the firmware until I know which version they are, even if possibly our batteries have been running the wrong firmware for months now!
Hi, did you try connecting only one battery and observe it's behaviour during charge / discharge?
My batteries are two different types, Type A and Type B and running older versions of firmwares, I was experiencing odd discharges but they were always going to 3V on average, not like yours.

Hi, did you try connecting only one battery and observe it's behaviour during charge / discharge?
My batteries are two different types, Type A and Type B and running older versions of firmwares, I was experiencing odd discharges but they were always going to 3V on average, not like yours.
I did that last week but I didn't take any of those Pytes Test screenshots - lthough they do tend to get unreadable if left running too long.
Currently not able to get to all the data I saved, but do have the raw data for battery #2 during a charge and discharge cycle last week which ends up something like this:
4MpuGFn.png

However while that is bat #2, this is data with the two connected so unsure how differently the batteries behave on their own. I guess I can do the individual test again.
Tellingly from the above the whole battery voltage barely moves. Mind you on that day, the whole 11% to 98% charge* drew only 3.7 kWh for both batteries. * 11% for the two batteries, but since they have started discharging unevenly that is 0% and 22% according to the Pytes BMS. All 16 cells on each battery would have ended up at pretty much the same voltage, so Bat #1's 0% might have been 3,2xx mV while Bat #2's 22% would have been the same 3,2xx mV.

Zero response from Pytes NL about whether they can tell from the serial number which version of the battery we actually have.

It is a pity that the installer's electrician updated the firmware so early as I was trying to see if I had any inverter log data which might show a higher total SOC charge before mid-February's firmware update, but no luck.

Update:
Finally got responses (note the plural - it was like waiting for a bus!) from Pytes and our batteries are version C.

So updated battery # 2to SPBMS16SRP2203V1.5.24.C8.
And early indications are good!

Obviously I will have to do some full charge cycles but today it has gone down to 13% so far (there was some sun today!), and more importantly the voltage has dropped down to 3.13x V and may go below 3.1V. A bit hard to gauge what it discharge without at least full day's charge, discharge, charge again etc., but it looks like over 4kWh from that single battery. Will see over the next few days, but 4kWh from a 5kWh battery is a lot better than 3kWh or less.

In fact, if the whole system gave us 2 x 4kWh then considering our 2 x 5kWh batteries with their 10% DoD should only give 9 kWh, then I would call it a day. Not ideal, and our installers and the "regulators" are cowboys, but any ideas of taking it further in terms of legal or going to the regulator's regulator would then probably be too much hassle versus any gain.

Although not counting my chickens yet as time will tell how the battery behaves over a few days.

Problem is that battery #1 now won't turn on.
Rocker switch works, and the main power button comes on, but the soft button does nothing. No lights indicating the battery / BMS is starting up etc.

I didn't actually touch that battery aside from powering it down and disconnecting the cables as I was going to try this all one by one. Hope it didn't die on me. I tried making it slave in the hope the BMS could then wake it, but no luck.

Anyone experienced similar?

Last edited:
Back