diy solar

diy solar

Do cells "learn" from their neighbors?

Tulex

Solar Wizard
Built 2 48v batteries with Seplos 200a bms. Both batteries will charge and discharge fine. Both batteries will be balanced within 5-10 mv when discharged to 20%, one battery will charge within 15mv or so before balancing, but the other is usually off by over 50 mv. The bms will balance it eventually. I know the reason, I had to have 3 cells replaced due to damage in shipping, and these 3 cells are always the 3 that hit high voltage first. I find it interesting that they drain balanced, but charge imbalanced.

Regardless, will these cells always charge faster than the rest, or will they eventually even out?

A side question. I have these batteries wired individually to separate breakers in the inverter (Sol-Ark 15k). Is this still considered in parallel? I have them as a master and slave, the master connected to the inverter via can. I know that if one battery stops charging due to an alarm and is waiting to recover, once it comes out of alarm, it will draw from the other battery until the battery volts balance. But, I've only heard the term in parallel used when they are actually connected together.

Seems the cells that charge faster are either really newer ( lower resistance) , or have less capacity ..
The first will correct itself over time, the last may be an issue

If your batteries are on the same busbar, and share the same upstream connection to the inverter but have individual breakers, they are still paralleled, as they have a shared upstream..

Packs may have a different charge rate, which , as you wrote does correct itself.

If you would have a grade tested cells out of a single matched capacity , ir matched , the difference in charge ( or discharge) speed will be low, but b grade cells it maybe quite a lot ( have seen differences up to 25 ah , eventhough same voltage), as long as they balance out at the top of the curve, you'll be absolutely fine

Last edited:
Seems the cells that charge faster ate either really newer ( lower resistance) , or have less capacity ..
The first will correct itself over time, the last may be an issue

If your batteries are on the same busbar, and share the same upstream connection to the inverter but have individual breakers, they are still paralelled, as they have a shared upstream..

Pack may have a different charge rate, which , as you wrote does correct itself.

If you would have a grade tested cells out of a single matched capacity , it matched the difference in charge ( or discharge) speed will be low, but b grade cells it maybe quite a lot ( have seen difference up to 25 ah , eventhough same voltage), as long as the balance out at the top of the curve, you'll be absolutely fine
If I remember correctly, I think the replacement cells are actually 6 months older. The original 32 cells have stickers that say 320-326ah even though they are sold as 304ah, the 3 replacement just said 304ah. So most likely, the replacements didn't test as high and it's the lower capacity issue.
Batteries are not connected to each other in any way, cables from each battery go directly to a separate breaker. But I know that the Sol-Ark does somehow share the breakers.

Not really concerned, just curious. I have to have a really good solar day to charge these batteries, as I'm charging with solar only. Sometimes I run out of solar before it gets done fully balancing because of the down time waiting to come out of alarm. But again, they still function fine.

Back