diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a Cerbo GX?

What do you think? The Cerbo GX and GX Touch 50 are not inexpensive but if I really should have this setup then I will purchase. Oh, one more thing; remote monitoring is not practical since the only time we have internet capability at the cabin is when we use our cell phones with the WeBoost signal booster.
I know this an old thread but I wanted to point anyone who finds this while searching for remote monitoring towards the Global Link 520 which is less money than the CerboGX and has no need for internet access on site since it has a cellular modem built into it.

The GlobalLink 520 doesn't work with the Cerbo GX. At least that's what I've read in the Victron documentation. The LTE device is needed for the Cerbo GX.

I'm planning to get Starlink, so that would eliminate the need for the Victron LTE device as long as I'm willing to run the Starlink 24/7 (which I'm not).

The GlobalLink 520 doesn't work with the Cerbo GX. At least that's what I've read in the Victron documentation. The LTE device is needed for the Cerbo GX.

I'm planning to get Starlink, so that would eliminate the need for the Victron LTE device as long as I'm willing to run the Starlink 24/7 (which I'm not)
Correct but it's not supposed to. I think of it as one or the other.

IE: The CerboGX needs internet access on site to get data up the VRM whereas the GlobalLink 520 doesn't because it uses a cellular modem. Confused me as well and I'm still not sure I get it.

Like with everything Victron there's multiples devices that are all painfully similar with a few subtle differences that require a lot of my time to figure out which I never really do. Deep sigh...

I liked the built-in 5 year cellular access of the GlobalLink. If that worked for the Cerbo GX it would already be in my system.

The Victron landscape can be a bit confusing.

Hold off on a CerboGX right now as the next gen model that fixes a bunch of issues is about to release. The 2.90 beta firmware contains support for it.

Also a new 7" display is coming.

FWIW, GX devices will also log offline until their storage is full. I recently had a 47 hour Internet outage at the remote site, and no data was lost.

The CCGX has something like 22MB and can accept a MicroSD. I would assume the Cerbo has the same or better specs.

FWIW, GX devices will also log offline until their storage is full. I recently had a 47 hour Internet outage at the remote site, and no data was lost.

The CCGX has something like 22MB and can accept a MicroSD. I would assume the Cerbo has the same or better specs.
I can get three days from a CerboGX when it looses connectivity. I just realized that its likely the more data points you are collecting the quicker you'll fill up it's memory.

I can get three days from a CerboGX when it looses connectivity. I just realized that its likely the more data points you are collecting the quicker you'll fill up it's memory.

Yep. I'm at whatever the minimum is... 1 minute I think.

Edit: 28MB native and up to 32GB microSD or USB stick (FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32).

Need to remember to get a microSD

Last edited:
I'm planning to get Starlink, so that would eliminate the need for the Victron LTE device as long as I'm willing to run the Starlink 24/7 (which I'm not).
Why would you not want to run Starlink 24/7?

Is it a power consumption problem?

Having said all of that, you can spend about $100 (compared to many hundreds) on a Raspberry Pi and a compatible touch screen, and a few Victron cables and get the nice fancy Victron Venus OS display and control that you would get with the Cerbo GX. So if you want the pretty screen for a lot less money then that would be a good option.

Where can you find a RaPi for $100?

Where can you find a RaPi for $100?
In early 2021 :) It seems they've gotten a lot more expensive since I bought mine (and the 6 months since I posted the message you quoted). The kit I bought (RPi 3B+ and power supply for $45) isn't available anymore from what I can find but oddly the touchscreen I bought ($50) is still for sale and a few dollars cheaper now than then.

Last edited:
I don't want to leave the inverter on during the summer. It gets too hot in the trailer when it's at the storage lot. In the winter, no problem.
You have a starling on a trailer? Did not know that was an option. Last I checked, it was geographically tied within a few miles by a GPS.

We're closing in on a year on the waiting list for Starlink for our house.
Exciting. I’ll need to check for that.

I only know someone with a regular star link for a house. I can’t remember exact power consumption, was around 100 watts. That would need to be planned for.

I find it humorous how Starlink is promoted for remote areas, but you need a street address to reserve it. There was a huge lag between me getting an official address and Starlink recognizing it, but now I can finally see that I'm still in a waiting list area:

1656084744145.png

Exciting. I’ll need to check for that.

I only know someone with a regular star link for a house. I can’t remember exact power consumption, was around 100 watts. That would need to be planned for.

Yeah, and I've heard some accounts that 100W is a low estimate.

I find it humorous how Starlink is promoted for remote areas, but you need a street address to reserve it. There was a huge lag between me getting an official address and Starlink recognizing it, but now I can finally see that I'm still in a waiting list area:

Yeah, and I've heard some accounts that 100W is a low estimate.
Starlink Power and Energy Usage (added that in case someone is searching for that information sometime)

Wow, so that could be 3 kWh or more per day needed from your PV by the time you factored in all the losses. Not something to take lightly.

We're still waiting on ours so I can't confirm exactly but a buddy put his on a Kill-a-Watt meter and was seeing at least 75 watts. I'll reach out to him and see if he's left the meter on it for long enough to get usefull kWH data.

The Starlink consumes just under 60 watts from my Multiplus, as reported by my Cerbo GX.

I can't get the Cerbo GX to connect to the Starlink WiFi. I'm not sure what's going on.

Back