diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a fuse here?

terry82517

Hi all, just finished building my 280ah battery. Can somone till me if I need a fuse on the 35mm positive wire (green arrow on picture) that goes to the positive stud on the outside of the box? C2F6CC2F-FA6A-487A-8556-FA470010A80F.jpeg

I like mrbf fuses attached to the terminal.

The closer to the battery terminal the less chance for a short upstream.
If that wire fell off the inside of the proxy terminal it could make for a very bad day.

But... if you look at the videos where Will Prowse cuts apart the drop in replacements, I don't think any of them had a fuse between the battery terminal and the proxy terminal.

Whichever way you go loctite is probably a good idea.

Apologies in advance for the weapons grade autism but, how did you do the joinery on the plywood?

I like mrbf fuses attached to the terminal.

The closer to the battery terminal the less chance for a short upstream.
If that wire fell off the inside of the proxy terminal it could make for a very bad day.

But... if you look at the videos where Will Prowse cuts apart the drop in replacements, I don't think any of them had a fuse between the battery terminal and the proxy terminal.

Whichever way you go loctite is probably a good idea.
Perfect Thankyou. Yea I havnt seen any videos where there is a fuse the so wanted to double check. Il put a fuse on the terminal.

I don't think you "need" a fuse there. The connections will be protected by a lid on the box. You do need a fuse before the positive cable goes into the system. So, the terminal would be a handy place for the 'catastrophic' fuse. Or where the positive goes through the box, inside or outside. Nice work building the box.

I don't think you "need" a fuse there. The connections will be protected by a lid on the box. You do need a fuse before the positive cable goes into the system. So, the terminal would be a handy place for the 'catastrophic' fuse. Or where the positive goes through the box, inside or outside. Nice work building the box.
Let me reprhase : "It is adviseable to have a fuse at the battery terminal" . I find it easier to locate the fuse at the battery terminal - nice solid connection with all the good products out there and it will protect even that short piece of cable running inside the box should something go wrong.

I am answering terry's question. It is not always advisable to have fuse on battery terminal. In this application, with a lid on the box, it is just as advisable to have a Class-T fuse on the outside of the box.

Since the box has exterior terminals, and it could be mobile, I strongly advise a fuse internal to the box. Its possible to short the external terminals. Its possible to drop the box, which increase the risk of terminal shortage.

If proper precautions are taken, its not a huge risk, but there is plenty of room for a fuse, and access seems reasonable to replace it.

Back