diy solar

diy solar

Do you keep a spare solar panel?

plympton

Solar Enthusiast
I did a search a bunch of different ways, and nothing came up, so I assume that's a "NO", but figure I'll ask.

I ordered 10 400w panels - minimum purchase. I only need 6 for my "off-grid" installation on my garage, and they're hooked up and generating nicely, no issues. I have no use for the other 4 - No space for future expansion, or if I expand it would be after a full re-roof and I'd go grid-tied. It'd be a 2nd system.

So, do panels... fail? Do you keep 1 as a spare backup in case? If 1 fails, I imagine finding a "just like it" replacement would be difficult 5-10 years from now.

Thoughts?

I'd sell them on FB marketplace or Craigslist or wherever. in 10 years you will probably be able to replace the whole string for 50% of what it cost today, but from my understanding PV panels don't die, they just fade away slowly, over a long period of time.

probably not worth keeping one for functional reasons. maybe worth it for cosmetic reasons if they are on your roof, street facing etc.
with only 6 panels in operation, not having a spare is not a huge risk

I had one get damaged in a big storm with a tree branch punching one,
Thought about that - where they are there's nothing obvious that will come down and damage one without doing significant damage to the garage. My neighbor's kid likes baseball, so there's a distinct possibility of it getting hit though.

Thought about that - where they are there's nothing obvious that will come down and damage one without doing significant damage to the garage. My neighbor's kid likes baseball, so there's a distinct possibility of it getting hit though.
Min was a pretty small branch it must of come down branch end first and it hit right in the middle of the panel

I thought about having a spare panel. But if I had one, I'd hate to see it unused. So, then I'd have to buy a micro-inverter; and that would cost twice as much as the spare panel :(

I have 4 extra panels that match the panels I have on the roof, just in case one of mine poop-out early. I think it's smart.

Back