diy solar

diy solar

Grundfos folks, keep a spare controller on hand?

OM617YOTA

Solar Enthusiast
TL;DR version:

I have no local source for a Grundfos CU-301 controller. Do you guys keep a spare on hand, or think doing so is a good idea?

Longer version:

Pump and controller were here when I bought the house, a happy accident for running from solar power, and has run flawlessly for the 7 years I've been here.

I can buy a standard well pump pressure switch or capacitor start box at half a dozen hardware stores within 20 miles. Grundfos controller? Not a chance. Best case scenario, next day air one in, and have water back up the next day. I'm seriously considering buying a spare controller and mounting it on the wall next to the in-use controller.

Opinions?

I run my bore water into a storage tank, and have a pressure pump for my house and a separate pressure pump for my irrigation.

That gives me a decent amount of redundancy to source spares/replacements in case of failure.

What is your plan in the event of a pump failure?

TL;DR version:

I have no local source for a Grundfos CU-301 controller. Do you guys keep a spare on hand, or think doing so is a good idea?

Longer version:

Pump and controller were here when I bought the house, a happy accident for running from solar power, and has run flawlessly for the 7 years I've been here.

I can buy a standard well pump pressure switch or capacitor start box at half a dozen hardware stores within 20 miles. Grundfos controller? Not a chance. Best case scenario, next day air one in, and have water back up the next day. I'm seriously considering buying a spare controller and mounting it on the wall next to the in-use controller.

Opinions?
I have a spare now. I bought one after a lightning strike took other one out.
comes with Controller and Pressure sensor.

I run my bore water into a storage tank, and have a pressure pump for my house and a separate pressure pump for my irrigation.

That gives me a decent amount of redundancy to source spares/replacements in case of failure.

What is your plan in the event of a pump failure?
We keep a small pool for the dog full, and can use that to flush the toilet for awhile, and have plenty of bottled drinking water on hand.

Replacing the pump, basically screwed there as far as immediate solutions.

If needed, I could rig up a tripod and use the truck winch to pull the pump, but realistically that's not something I'm going to DIY if possible.

We keep a small pool for the dog full, and can use that to flush the toilet for awhile, and have plenty of bottled drinking water on hand.

Replacing the pump, basically screwed there as far as immediate solutions.

If needed, I could rig up a tripod and use the truck winch to pull the pump, but realistically that's not something I'm going to DIY if possible.
It’s not as hard as you think depending on depth.

Mine was 250Ft.

Put a roller on the well casing and pull it out with a tractor or ATV.

The return is much easier.

Yep, no worries about doing it myself, if that turns out to be the most practical solution. Beyond the scope of what I'm thinking about right now, though.

In a off grid or rural situation anything you don’t want to be without for a week or more I would have a spare on hand also with supply chain issues even when you think you can get one you might be surprised it wasn’t that long ago class t fuses were very scarce

but that’s my ocd side I have spares for my spares

I live on an island in a lake in Maine, almost 2 miles down a private road that I plow. Spares, extra fuel, extra toilet paper are a way of life. I'd buy the spare.

I keep spares of everything. Even a spare Sunny Boy and Sunny Island. Spare trucks, spare tractors, spare parts, spares of spares. Not to get political, but when you look around and not a damned thing makes sense, ones comes to the understanding that dominoes don't line themselves up. When is the next supply disruption going to occur?

I keep a spare CU301, SQE pump, and sensor.

10-15 yrs ago when these came out, the CU301 had a high failure rate (< every 2 yrs ).
Newer versions of the controller, version 7 especially are FAR more reliable. I think I have 10yrs on the current one.

On a related note, has anyone found an off the shelf 4-20ma 0-100psi G1/2 thread pressure sensor that is NOT $250 like Grundfos demands??

Can you replace with a different controller that is available locally?

I don't think so. It's not just an on/off switch, it converts incoming single phase AC to 3 phase variable speed AC, in reaction to pressure needs dictated by a pressure sensor and some control algorithm that tracks not only pressure, but speed of pressure rise and fall.

End of the world type thing, would I try and rig up an off the shelf variable frequency drive and get water out of it, you bet I would. Right now, I want something better on hand.

I keep a spare CU301, SQE pump, and sensor.

10-15 yrs ago when these came out, the CU301 had a high failure rate (< every 2 yrs ).
Newer versions of the controller, version 7 especially are FAR more reliable. I think I have 10yrs on the current one.

On a related note, has anyone found an off the shelf 4-20ma 0-100psi G1/2 thread pressure sensor that is NOT $250 like Grundfos demands??

This was an "also recommended" on an Amazon page for the controller. Would need an adapter.

I'd rather pony up for a genuine Grundfos sensor.

Last edited:
I may try it still, with a spare Grundfos on hand already (made by Danfoss I believe so something in their catalog might match up too)

And I forgot VERY important info: the SQE pump can run off / bypass the controller with a standard 40/60 pressure switch. You lose
" constant pressure" but not soft start if memory serves. Becomes same as SQ pump operationally.

That's good to know! That would actually suit me just fine, as long as it keeps soft start. More research is required.

I can also get Danfoss through work. Need to check on that.

How about getting a deep well ejector, hoses, and an above-ground pump for it. As backup.

1688668495994.png 1688668538987.png

Someone double check me on that being correct for CU301 bypass. This is from memory and fortunately it has been a decade since needing that.
I believe you are correct.
I have a 15SQE 10-250 and without the controller it just operates like an SQ.

You can use a regular 40/60 pressure switch.

Back