diy solar

diy solar

do you need an inverter gen for AC input or any gen will work ?

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
since I lost my grid feed, I will soon need to use a generator to help charge batteries and cover loads.
my inverters are dual LV6548 and my gen is a Firman 7500w dual fuel
will this work ok ?
probably has an ugly sine wave not like an inverter gen

Last edited:
since I lost my grid feed, I will soon need to use a generator to help charge batteries and cover loads.
will this work ok ?

They tend to be pretty intolerant of dirty power. One can often get charging by lowering the AC output current to 10A and then increase until it stops working. In any case, the amount of charge power is typically disappointing.

There's a reason the Chargeverter exists. :)

Another chargeverter vote. I don't have one but plan on getting one. I got lucky and my large generator is pretty clean output wise (non inverter type) but my smaller gens are not so clean. With a chargeverter you use whatever you have and it puts out good dc for the system. Also has the benefit that your future proof so that even if your current gen is clean you don't have to worry about the next gen you purchase being compatible.

will this work ok ?
What happened?
Was it a storm or did they pull your meter?

The recommendation seems to be the chargeverter.

I agree with that.

Hard to get some inverters to hold a generator input sometimes.

ok Im sold on getting a chargeverter
but signature solar seems to be backordered which is a bummer cause I could really use it today, and Im only a 40 minute drive away
guess I will order one from current connected and hope for fast shipping

my guest cabin/storage building burned from lightning couple nights ago, and that is where the meter was, so grid for weeks

but signature solar seems to be backordered which is a bummer cause I could really use it today, and Im only a 40 minute drive away

my guest cabin/storage building burned from lightning couple nights ago, and that is where the meter was, so grid for weeks
I see. Sorry to hear that.
Dexter will treat you right..

Current connected seems like the ideal way to get the chargeverter in my opinion. I know from what I have read on here its the only place I would buy eg4 equipment from but that's just from the impressions I get on what people are posting.

Call them. Or PM one of their active forum members. They may have a scratch and dent one in stock.

Last edited:
Why a chargeverter is better.

1. When running a standard charging cycle with an inverter, you need to pick a fixed "Charging Current". The problem is that the generator will need to supply the charging current power, plus all the peak power the home will need while charging. Set the charging amps too low and it will take longer to charge. Set it too high it may trip the generator off line.
  2. Some inverters may not like the quality of the power your generator is suppling. Also because the inverter will run in pass through mode while charging the battery, all that dirty power will find it's way into your house.
  3. With the chargeverter you can set the charging amps based on 60-80% of the generators running watts. You don't have to predict what the peaks might be on the house because your main inverters will continue to cover that.

Back