diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone need premium Li-ion battery to DIY your solar system?

peter.w

This forum actually enlarged my horizon, and i found there are so many solar geeks here. Thanks to Will Prowse, you really do a great job.

i come from China, and has been working in Li-ion industry for more than 10 years, here i found many friends are looking for Li-ion battery to DIY the cost-effective system.
and i am doing the same thing. i am able to get premium Li-ion batteries which is hard to get by single personnel, since i was running a company in energy storage system, from residential scale (normally a few kwh to a few tens kwh) to commercial and industrial scale up to a few tens Mwh, pls check my company webpage www.uzenergy.com, and contact me directly if you wish to have something interesting wangyx@uzenergy.com.

what i can provide is based on the premium lithium ion battery from China, CATL (www.catlbattery.com), i designed the Li-ion batteries there as an principal engineer. therefore, if any friends have any questions related Li-ion batteries, you can also drop me email. CATL batteries have been widely used in EV cars, e.g. BMW, VW, Tesla and etc., you may google the news yourself, and some of the EV cars projects are also led by me when i was working there.

to initial this tread is to evoke your attention that there are still many cost-effective products from China, and i would like to share with you. And you will have choices from budgetary stuff to high-end items.

nowadays, i designed 3 major energy storage product lines for various applications based on 48V Li-ion modules (i manufacture Li-ion modules as well by using Laser Welding, so you do not need to use simple tape to bundle the battery, where it is not safe and reliable), Power Lite Series, Power Swift Series, and Power Mega Series. Pls check them and drop me email if any questions. the products have been done the compatible test with many decent inverter brand, i.e. Victron, Studer, Goodwe, Sofar and other tens of residential inverter brands. And the products have certificates from TUV by complying with IEC/UL standards.

I hope all friends here can find fun by DIY your own system.

Cheers

Power Lite Series for Residential ESS applications
2020-05-17_103350.jpg 2020-05-17_103505.jpg
2020-05-17_103626.jpg 2020-05-17_103759.jpg 2020-05-17_103927.jpg

Would love to find a stateside distribution channel for these 280 amp cells, maybe a complete kit with BMS. I’m new in this sandbox, is there a reliable stateside source for this sort of thing?
thanks for your reply.
in fact, i have the 280Ah CATL LFP battery supply as i use it more than 30 MWh per year. but it is normally used for grid-scale (Wind/PV power plants) energy storage system. and you may find my application case in link:

now i just realized that friends here are also enquiring such products. I am glad to hear it and i am think of do something :).

I leave a link for those who are interested in CATL 280Ah LFP Battery, it has certificate from IEC and UL, and CATL itself is an reputated battery manufacture all over the world. CATL battery products have been used in EV cars, e.g. BMW, VW and Tesla, just name a few.

Well, back to your question, i am wondering how what will do the 280Ah battery? Are you going to bundeling it in to a 12V/24 system or other purpose? Since previous i did not look too much at 12/24 V system, as my focus is on 48 V system, therefore i developed my Power Lite Series produts:

Pls tell me more about how are you going to use it, as i have capability of making it since i am also interested in solar for residential or other portable application. Or someone here can tell me what kind battery system you would like to have and i may develop it and share with you :).

I wish what i wrote can be seen from Will and he may enlighen me much more on what i would like to do.

Cheers

I am looking to make a 12 volt battery for my camper. Ideally, it would look conventional as much as possible on the outside ( in battery box on camper tongue) so as not to attract unwanted attention. Charge via 400 watts of solar, ( or mains charger) run 12 volt loads, and a 2000 watt inverter.

I am looking to make a 12 volt battery for my camper. Ideally, it would look conventional as much as possible on the outside ( in battery box on camper tongue) so as not to attract unwanted attention. Charge via 400 watts of solar, ( or mains charger) run 12 volt loads, and a 2000 watt inverter.

thanks for the info. i just do a quick calculation, getting 12 V battery by using LFP cell with capacity of 280Ah, you will get 4*3.2 V*280 Ah=3584 Wh, approx. 3.5 kWh. By taking the spec. from the data sheet, for each cell the weight is 5.34 kg. in this case 4 cells are used in series, and then gives you around 13.2 V and 21 kg overall. by adding protecting board (so called BMS) and outside casing, the overall weight would be around 24-25 kg, probably. and the battery size (without outside case) would be [D*W*H] 285*173.9*207.2 mm.

Here i would like to further understand, what is the max. power would your application need in total. this info will give me an idea about what is the max. current taken from the system. Since the single cell is 280Ah in capacity, and the cell can support max. 1C rate charging and discharging, means that 280 A in charging and discharging. the size of bus-bar or wire used for 280 A current is quire huge, and i suppose for your application it won't be necessary to go that beyond.

So pls let me know the max. power you are requiring. and other one who see this thread can also contribute your great idea so that i can make this one as good as possible :).

Cheers

I plan on a 2000 watt inverter, so about 200 amps.

200 A, for battery it is quite ok. but i am wondering what kind of protecting board (BMS) have been used to allow 200 A? any idea here what is used by other ones. pls let me know and i need to double check.

Aloha Peter, I am in the planning stages of building a 48v off grid system. Can you tell me more about the Power Lite Series. How much does one of those Batteries cost? Will you do DDP shipping. I live in Hawai'i, will they be able to ship it here? The last company I tried to get batteries from in China would not ship it here (Hawai'i) first. They said I would be responsible for the shipping once it gets to the Mainland (U.S.) along with all the other good stuff: Port fees, Tariffs etc... I like what you are doing, are you going to be the person to see if I decide to purchase anything. Right now, with all this paranoia going around, I'm looking at my options and planning. I'll try to keep in touch with you every now and then to see what's going on. Mahalo.

Hi Peter,

I have a question about the cycle life and I will quote from the CATL INTRO literature as follows:

Cycle life(25℃ 0.5P/0.5P @80% Ret.) ~6000Cycle

What does the 0.5P/0.5P refer to?

It's my understanding that the average cycle life is 2000 cycles for a LiFePO4 at 80% capacity. I am having a hard time understanding how some manufacturers can claim a 6000 cycle life. Could you please explain? Thank you.

Aloha Peter, I am in the planning stages of building a 48v off grid system. Can you tell me more about the Power Lite Series. How much does one of those Batteries cost? Will you do DDP shipping. I live in Hawai'i, will they be able to ship it here? The last company I tried to get batteries from in China would not ship it here (Hawai'i) first. They said I would be responsible for the shipping once it gets to the Mainland (U.S.) along with all the other good stuff: Port fees, Tariffs etc... I like what you are doing, are you going to be the person to see if I decide to purchase anything. Right now, with all this paranoia going around, I'm looking at my options and planning. I'll try to keep in touch with you every now and then to see what's going on. Mahalo.
Really appreciate your msg. i am double checking with my team on the delivering issue, since most of my products were shipped to Europe. See if i can make it and will let you know. you may contact me directly via wangyx@uzenergy.com or follow us at Linkedin.

Hi Peter,

I have a question about the cycle life and I will quote from the CATL INTRO literature as follows:

Cycle life(25℃ 0.5P/0.5P @80% Ret.) ~6000Cycle

What does the 0.5P/0.5P refer to?

It's my understanding that the average cycle life is 2000 cycles for a LiFePO4 at 80% capacity. I am having a hard time understanding how some manufacturers can claim a 6000 cycle life. Could you please explain? Thank you.

0.5 P you can simply understand it at 0.5 C (140A for this case).

For grid-scale ESS the life-span of LFP battery normally is at least 4000 cycles at 100% DoD. for CATL battery, a long-life span LFP battery will run more than 10k cycles and lasting 15 years. That's why the US company named Powin have mass order from CATL battery and claim 20 year guarantee. And some of friends here are asking 280 Ah LFP cell, which will be used in the system is also available from me.
The recent news regarding long-cycle LFP Battery of CATL can be found here:

And due to the safety, reliability and performances advantages, Tesla choosed CATL battery as the power source in the Model 3 (China version).

In fact, CATL is originated from ATL, which is the largest Li-ion battery manufacture for ICT in the world, whose clients includes Apple (all series), Sony, Amazon, DJI, Google, Xiaomi, just name a few.

That is also why i am asking if anyone needs premium battery to set up ESS. I have been using CATL battery for many projects, up to scale of a few tens of MWh.

0.5 P you can simply understand it at 0.5 C (140A for this case).

That is also why i am asking if anyone needs premium battery to set up ESS. I have been using CATL battery for many projects, up to scale of a few tens of MWh.

Hi Peter,

0.5 P makes perfect sense and I thank you for the explanation along with the other information you posted. It's very impressive. You are very well informed and knowledgeable and I like your honesty.

As you know there are many here that want to build their own packs. For now I am sitting on the sidelines but will be watching your thread with interest. I have some LFE experience with the two little 40ah Valence batteries I have and between those and my research I will never go back to AGM types of batteries. Admittedly I have only been experimenting but I am comfortable with doing something larger with 4 280ah or 8 100ah batteries.....something in those ranges. Thanks again.

@peter.w Are you selling 3.2v LifePO4 batteries for the small users? I just emailed you.

Albert

@Fish Freak, that is the reason i post a thread here :), now the bottleneck is not the product itself, and in my review there should not be customer defined in large or small, anyone who interested your products should be taken in a fair way. the only thing bothers me is the logistic issue. since i do not have any distributor currently in US, therefore it would be a huge cost if i send products just individually. in that way, it may contradict my origin that UZ Energy provides affordable renewable energy to everyone by using best-in-quality materials. And i suppose this is also the spirit of this Forum and wiling of the founder, Will.

i am also wondering if anyone would like to be a partner or likewise, therefore i have chance to ship a number of my inventory and distribute locally. I am still on it, as my experience is more on long-term collaboration in industry. now i know my think is pretty not mature right now, but anyone can give me some suggestion may be a great help to me.

like your smile with big fish on hands :).

Cheers

Hi Peter,

0.5 P makes perfect sense and I thank you for the explanation along with the other information you posted. It's very impressive. You are very well informed and knowledgeable and I like your honesty.

As you know there are many here that want to build their own packs. For now I am sitting on the sidelines but will be watching your thread with interest. I have some LFE experience with the two little 40ah Valence batteries I have and between those and my research I will never go back to AGM types of batteries. Admittedly I have only been experimenting but I am comfortable with doing something larger with 4 280ah or 8 100ah batteries.....something in those ranges. Thanks again.

@Gazoo Thanks bro. Ya, i was a bit at sea when seeing so many here would like build their own packs, reflecting the spirit of DIY in one way or the other. But i have to say, be very careful as Li-ion battery is not like a AA, AAA or Lead-acid battery. Lithium is the most active element of metal in periodic table. And safety should be the first in first thing when operating Li-ion batteries. My suggestion is better not operating Li-ion battery with bare hands without goggles, you never know what happens in next second.

in my inventory, i have 100 Ah and 280 Ah LFP batter, all from CATL. i will post some images and system as most required from here.

drop me email if any enquiry.

Cheers

@Ryang, will share with you, recently i am on it.

Thanks. and to answer your previous logistics thoughts. Most here accept there is a shipping cost and build it into their calculations.

Quality and value is the foremost priority for many.

I agree with @Ryang.

My suggestion is to post prices for your batteries including shipping with the option of sea or air. Or set up a website for the "little" guys to order cells from. Surely you could be competitive with the other distributors considering the volume of cells you have. If you could throw in buss bars and bolts that would be a plus depending on the cost of the batteries. You could also offer smaller prebuilt packs with a built in BMS. In addition having some after sale support from you would be very valuable. I think everyone understands there will be a shipping cost. Just throwing out some suggestions. If you don't want to deal with it or can't for some reason I fully understand.

I appreciate your safety concerns. Thank you.

Back