diy solar

diy solar

Does chassis ground provide protection?

This is where I get lost.

I thought the electrical grounding system was a bunch of stuff bonded together. That is, connected in a way that there is electrical continuity.

And that group of things is connected to a grounding rod.

Therefore, they are all part of one electrically continuous system.

I thought the electrical grounding system was a bunch of stuff bonded together. That is, connected in a way that there is electrical continuity.
It is.
And that group of things is connected to a grounding rod.
Well, the earth (ground rod) is also connected to the grounding system.
Therefore, they are all part of one electrically continuous system.
Correct.

The electrical grounding system is created by and begins at the N/G bond.
And everything else is bonded to this grounding system.
The purpose of the electrical grounding system is to make everything safe to touch. By providing a fault current path back to the source. (Through the N/G bond) So that protection devices (breakers or fuses) can clear the fault before someone gets hurt.

That makes sense. But I can’t tell from the generator manual (above) whether it is bonded or not.

"Your generator must be properly connected to an appropriate ground"

"Neutral Floating* The neutral circuit IS NOT connected to the frame/ground of the generator."

"Neutral Bonded to Frame* The neutral circuit IS connected to the frame/ground of the generator."

"See your specifications section for specified type of grounding"

Maybe documented elsewhere, but just measure it with ohm meter. Or connect incandescent bulb between Line and Ground, see if it lights (don't touch chassis while doing this, could be hot.)

Also figure out if your inverter switches/bonds neutral when fed from shore power (generator in this case.)

Maybe documented elsewhere, but just measure it with ohm meter. Or connect incandescent bulb between Line and Ground, see if it lights (don't touch chassis while doing this, could be hot.)
I’m guessing if it lights, then it’s telling me that it is bonded? Because the light completes the circuit between line and bonded neutral/ground?

And to test with an ohm meter, see if there is continuity between neutral and ground when running?

I’m guessing if it lights, then it’s telling me that it is bonded? Because the light completes the circuit between line and bonded neutral/ground?

(y)

And to test with an ohm meter, see if there is continuity between neutral and ground when running?

(n)

When generator not running.

Also figure out if inverter switches neutral with a relay and bonds to ground, or not.

If no external AC is present, the Quattro automatically bonds the neutral and ground. Got it.

Does that mean when I wire my main panel for the cabin (later) that I do not bond neutral and ground?

And I appreciate your time and patience.

I plan to have a panel with breakers sitting immediately adjacent to the Quattro in the conex. Are you saying that the Quattro serves as the main panel?

Because it contains the neutral ground bond?

Even though it contains no breakers?

I plan to have a panel with breakers sitting immediately adjacent to the Quattro in the conex. Are you saying that the Quattro serves as the main panel?

Because it contains the neutral ground bond?

Even though it contains no breakers?
No
The conex panel would be the main panel. And the cabin panel would be a sub panel.
No N/G bond in either one. Because the Quattro takes care of that.

Back