diy solar

diy solar

Does Victron make larger inverters only..? ( no charger)

JRH

Solar Wizard
I have looked all over… don’t want another multiplus unit just a stout inverter..(without charger) .. it seems 1200 is about the upper limit… any ideas?

I may be wrong, but I thought all the Multiplus and Quattro units were Inverter/Chargers. Phoenix inverters are inverter only (no charger) but are only for 230V systems.

Edit: Sorry Jim - I posted right as you did.

Reactions: JRH
I may be wrong, but I thought all the Multiplus and Quattro units were Inverter/Chargers. Phoenix inverters are inverter only (no charger) but are only for 230V systems.

Edit: Sorry Jim - I posted right as you did.
Well I did find smaller ones like 800 and 1200 made for the states market… may have to just work with the 1200…it would probably work for what I’m considering…
thanks J

Thanks… that's a little overkill , need 1500 to 2k…I know think it’s remarkable a single company can make so many products thst you can hardly find the correct one… simply amazing
I think I will go with the 1200 again thanks for looking.
J.

A 3000VA inverter is really just 2400 watts, so not too far off the top of your range.

Yes, it can be hard to find the right stuff on Victron's website. DC-DC chargers are a bit of a mess too.

A 3000VA inverter is really just 2400 watts, so not too far off the top of your range.

Yes, it can be hard to find the right stuff on Victron's website. DC-DC chargers are a bit of a mess too.
Yep.. I started with one plan but after wasting 2 hours online I changed my plan…plus it will save a good bit of cash…as long as the 1200 watt Vic will handle the surge of a 5000 btu window unit

im ordering a 1200 watt from battle born tomorrow …it’s purpose is to power a new small window A/C unit.. 5000 btu…nothing else on that dedicated inverter..The. A/ c unit is rated at @500 running watts and 4 amps .. im figuring about 16/amps surge… I could be wrong…? Could be 20 ? They don’t publish that info…
The 1200va / 1000w unit states a 2200 w surge ….
The inverter will be powered by my larger battery bank but the power will only be used to run the A/ C … it will not be tied into my multiplus or anything else but the battery bank Straight to the air unit.
what says you.?
Do ya think thst will start it ok .?

Maybe? I haven't run the numbers on an unfamiliar unit. All I can say is that my 3000 VA Multiplus started my 15K BTU rooftop unit without any complaints. I since replaced that unit with a brand new one that is slightly more efficient and added the Micro-Air EasyStart device.

Here's the label on my old unit.
1689531560274.png

Maybe? I haven't run the numbers on an unfamiliar unit. All I can say is that my 3000 VA Multiplus started my 15K BTU rooftop unit without any complaints. I since replaced that unit with a brand new one that is slightly more efficient and added the Micro-Air EasyStart device.

Here's the label on my old unit.
View attachment 157796
Yep, my multi is starting my 13,500 Dometic easily in the RV… and NO ,I have not yet installed the easy start we discussed a month ago….( but I’m Gona) …
The A/ C unit is an Midea… I already have one …it cools the entire Mobil home next door… pretty nice little manual unit… 148.00 at Walmart.
I will get the 1200 unless someone casts valid doubt on my plan , if it won’t start it I can use it for somthing at some point and I will get a larger one…. 1600 or so…Maybe another brand… 3000 is too big for this application..another multi is a thousand more than the small inverter…
wish me luck….

Yep, my multi is starting my 13,500 Dometic easily in the RV… and NO ,I have not yet installed the easy start we discussed a month ago….( but I’m Gona) …
The A/ C unit is an Midea… I already have one …it cools the entire Mobil home next door… pretty nice little manual unit… 148.00 at Walmart.
I will get the 1200 unless someone casts valid doubt on my plan , if it won’t start it I can use it for somthing at some point and I will get a larger one…. 1600 or so…Maybe another brand… 3000 is too big for this application..another multi is a thousand more than the small inverter…
wish me luck….
Might want to look into whether a soft start would work on the A/C unit to reduce the startup amp requirement.

im ordering a 1200 watt from battle born tomorrow …it’s purpose is to power a new small window A/C unit.. 5000 btu…nothing else on that dedicated inverter..The. A/ c unit is rated at @500 running watts and 4 amps .. im figuring about 16/amps surge… I could be wrong…? Could be 20 ? They don’t publish that info…
The 1200va / 1000w unit states a 2200 w surge ….
I just measured my little Toshiba 6000 BTU, and got a startup spike to 17.59A @113.8V (so 2001VA). I may be wrong, but I believe Midea is the manufacturer for this and many other rebadged units. The Toshiba and Midea 5000 BTU units have a similar appearance.

The inverter will be powered by my larger battery bank but the power will only be used to run the A/ C … it will not be tied into my multiplus or anything else but the battery bank Straight to the air unit.
what says you.?
Looks like it ought to work, but maybe adding a capacitor might help with that startup surge? And/or the soft start, like @DIYrich just suggested?

Last edited:
Might want to look into whether a soft start would work on the A/C unit to reduce the startup amp requirement.
Can’t put a 350 dollar easy start on a 150 dollar window unit…if that’s what you meant…

if you meant on the 13.5 k Dometic , in the RV , I have a new one in the box sitting in the floor I bought 3 years ago to put in and have just procrastinated all this time… BUT,,,,, I’m Gona get to it soon…I promise…

I just measured my little Toshiba 6000 BTU, and got a startup spike to 17.59A @113.8V (so 2001VA). I may be wrong, but I believe Midea is the manufacturer for this and many other rebadged units. The Toshiba and Midea 5000 BTU units have a similar appearance.

Looks like it ought to work, but maybe adding a capacitor might help with that startup surge? And/or the soft start, like @DIYrich just suggested?
I’m going to take a clamp on meter with inrush settings down to it and check the start up demand…… I forgot I had thst adapter that you plug in so as to isolate the two wires …I will know in a few…
thank you…J.

as long as the 1200 watt Vic will handle the surge of a 5000 btu window unit

Please do update us if it does handle the surge!

No idea what the surge of an ac window unit is, but I can’t imagine it to be all that bad for a 5000 btu unit.

EDIT: Google says 1200W surge for a 5k btu a/c unit. The Victron 1200VA will handle that no problem eat that for lunch.

I would love a YouTube channel where someone just stress tests all sorts of inverters out there. If I had time and money, I think that would be really fun to do. Try to see how big of loads an inverter will do and for how long before shutting down. That’s short term testing. Long term would be starting up massive loads over and over again and seeing how many cycles it can do that before the inverter either lets the magic smoke out or just dies an early death.

Then another YouTube channel that is the opposite of stress testing, but real world testing. Instead of testing to see if a Victron 350VA can run a 8000 btu air conditioner window unit, see how many years normal use of a Renogy 1000W will power your fridge.

Then perhaps one could come up with a spreadsheet to help decide which model and size is going to best match your project and for the best bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Back