diy solar

diy solar

DON'T Install DC Isolators on Solar

In an emergency I'm flipping off everything, load or not. It should work at least once, right?
The DC might catch fire. AC switches first, then DC. A good idea might be a 3m cord tied to the positive DC with the label "in case of emergency, stand back and pull cord" lol. Might sound very silly but I'd rather have that than just be looking at an arc fire I can't stop.

I'm curious does anybody keep a electrical fire extinguisher (powder?)?

An IMO is rated for switching under load, let's clear up any misconceptions or confusion some might have about the IMO. If you don't believe it, then contact the fella in this video and maybe he will clear that up for you.

As for the original video I linked and the following video in the next post, it mentions that if an inverter or isolator has RSD, then the addition of another isolator is redundant and not needed. If you have a string of panels like most of us do on a ground mount without any method of shutdown, then yes, you will need to add an isolation device for disconnect. I think some of the manufacturers of micro inverters and isolators are pushing for this to be in the code to increase the sale of their devices.

If you have rooftop solar, you are required to have isolation to meet the disconnect requirements for fire fighter safety at the module level. Ground mounts do not have to meet this requirement. Preferred method to keep costs down is still ground mount, for me it is not a hard decision to make. Those with limited real estate most likely will have to use roof mount and meet those requirements.

In AU, the requirements are different, this post here shows what they have been doing in the photo. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solar-economy-is-it-healthy.72148/post-959326 In the following post, it was stated that Finland had changed the requirements for rooftop isolators.

This post relates the majority of fires on rooftop PV was caused by isolators. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solar-economy-is-it-healthy.72148/post-959636

From what I have seen thus far, it appears the manufacturers of RSD devices are pushing for rules to use their devices, even if those devices cause the majority of fires. As for fires related to devices that copy the IMO, I would say those devices were not made to the standard the IMO meets. These are the import copies most people purchase to save a buck.

Thanks for the great explanation..wish I had known this earlier… when buying my IMO device last year I couldn’t get a solid explaination on that from anyone…when I asked no one knew any real facts.

when reading the sales info the “Disconnect Switch ” version was rated at a high number of full load disconnects ( 1000 +/- or something .??? ) discussed the speed of the disconnect and the distance of the contacts when open.…the isolater didn’t seem to state those same facts , but we’re very simalar on other stuff…confusing..!

I chose the SWITCH…..with about a 33% amperage safety margin for headroom, relative to my array max power..

I have switched it off and on a lot this year under load…..So far, No Problems …

It is a confusing topic ..

J.
It's not a confusing subject, the IMO was designed specifically to switch DC current under load.

I had linked the video presentation in other threads, it clearly stated the IMO is switch rated. As for import copies, well, you are on your own.

An IMO is rated for switching under load, let's clear up any misconceptions or confusion some might have about the IMO. If you don't believe it, then contact the fella in this video and maybe he will clear that up for you.

As for the original video I linked and the following video in the next post, it mentions that if an inverter or isolator has RSD, then the addition of another isolator is redundant and not needed. If you have a string of panels like most of us do on a ground mount without any method of shutdown, then yes, you will need to add an isolation device for disconnect. I think some of the manufacturers of micro inverters and isolators are pushing for this to be in the code to increase the sale of their devices.

If you have rooftop solar, you are required to have isolation to meet the disconnect requirements for fire fighter safety at the module level. Ground mounts do not have to meet this requirement. Preferred method to keep costs down is still ground mount, for me it is not a hard decision to make. Those with limited real estate most likely will have to use roof mount and meet those requirements.

In AU, the requirements are different, this post here shows what they have been doing in the photo. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solar-economy-is-it-healthy.72148/post-959326 In the following post, it was stated that Finland had changed the requirements for rooftop isolators.

This post relates the majority of fires on rooftop PV was caused by isolators. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solar-economy-is-it-healthy.72148/post-959636

From what I have seen thus far, it appears the manufacturers of RSD devices are pushing for rules to use their devices, even if those devices cause the majority of fires. As for fires related to devices that copy the IMO, I would say those devices were not made to the standard the IMO meets. These are the import copies most people purchase to save a buck.
saving money can be a great thing on somthings , sometimes …BUT the real deal IMO switch is only about 100 bucks… why would anyone be trying to save money on somthing so important and is already cheap…
I am constantly amazed by people pinching pennys on safty equipment….

why not discount parachutes …?
Discount Heart surgeons …?
Re-man or 3rd tier body armor..?

where does it end…? haaaa

J.

It's not a confusing subject, the IMO was designed specifically to switch DC current under load.

I had linked the video presentation in other threads, it clearly stated the IMO is switch rated. As for import copies, well, you are on your own.
Yes it was confusing before I learned the facts… I had never even heard of this device ….there’s a lot of copies of things out there.. the copy people are counting on the fact that most don’t do their due diligence and research the topic and gear…after talking to the manufacturer specifically about breaking the circuit under load it I made my decision and have been pleased thus far… I have never bought and will never buy a Chinese cheap copy of anything.
I’m not wired that way.

Btw.. great video … it’s information was what I referenced in earlier post but from memory … I was way low on its limits ….

J .

I'm curious does anybody keep a electrical fire extinguisher (powder?)?

There is one hanging just outside the door to my electrical room where all my solar gear is mounted. I mean why not you never know. I've got another tucked in a sort of alcove just off the kitchen, 4 or 5 steps away from the stove. I have actually used one to extinguish a small grease fire moons ago, that my in-laws had bought as a house-warming, and that I hung only to appease. The fire was not a huge thing, eventually would/could have doused with some flour or soda, but ever since I've generally tried to have one anywhere it might be useful, they are cheap and with a little effort can be mounted in an unobtrusive area.

For personal use in a kitchen you know where you put the thing, you just need to make sure it's not too close to the problem spots, and easily reachable. You don't have to mount a giant red box on the wall.

So what is the collective verdict on this type at the array's and/or at the head end, just before the inverters?

The IMO was designed specifically for this purpose. Use it. Don't buy import copies.

I have mine at the array. PV array box.jpg

And another at the inverters.

Inverters and charge controllers.jpg

These IMO isolators look nice. I wish they offered steel enclosure option instead of plastic.
You can use your own enclosure. What you keep seeing for sale/shown is the "enclosed SI" series. You can get panel mount version.

Nothing new under the sun, and I'll bet EMO even got a patent on it.
I remember playing with stuff like this as a kid.

1705114352451.png

Mine is built into the inverter (Solis)... But if you don't have an isolator, how do you isolate panels if you need to work on them?.. you're not supposed to disconnect MC4's when there's a current running through them.
Someone may have mentioned this but cover a few with a blanket, this will drop power down.

Last edited:
Sorry folks, we have pushed the envelope to far on solar strings. To much power density. We have done stupid stuff through out history. Why should today be any different? Believe what you want but there have been allot of incidents(home fires and now death). All in the name of go big or go home. How much horse power does your SUV have? You need it so you can pull your portable home RV trailer up a steep grade at 80 MPH. Never felt so dumb to be a human. Isn't progress awesome?

Why I keep my panel strings under 1KW and under 80v

Back