PoppaBlade

Vehicle: short bus
Items of interest:
-Laptop
-Air fryer
-Fridge
-Starlink (internet)
-A/C
-Heater (considering a diesel heater, so this might not be an issue at all if a diesel heater wins my vote)
-other small things like lights and phone chargers

So I was looking at the 400w solar system here on the page and I noticed it's not near what I want. So what about doubling up? I am seeking 400ah (2 batteries of 200ah) of lifepo batteries, and around 800w (2 panels with 400w) of solar.

I just want to know if I need to change anything from the list of instructions? Obviously the price will be higher, and that's fine, I just want to know pro's and cons and suggestions.

My reason for wanting such a big power bank is simply to avoid battery charge anxiety. I know I'm going to be an energy hog and I know that 200ah of battery just doesn't sound like enough. Heck I'm even planning on having a generator in my rig!! That's how badly I want to avoid battery anxiety lol. I've already cut several corners on planning for items that will be more efficient overall, the only item I'm going to have any real issues with, will be an air fryer. Maybe having this bigger power bank will allow me to splurge on using power with maybe a game console and TV (which would mostly be used for movies/YouTube/and gaming, but thats what I am buying my laptop for so at the moment I have no intentions on getting a game console at all)

Let me give some additional context to kind of fill in the gaps.

-plan on using propane for cooking
-plan on just having a sink as far as water goes, of course with a filter of sorts to make it nice and drinkable too.
-plan on having a diesel generator and diesel heater bc my bus is also diesel. I know that doesn't really matter, but I figure why not? (Please tell me why not if there are good reasons not to!!)
-plan on LOTS of gaming with my laptop, it's just what I love doing. My reason for choosing a laptop is for saving energy. A laptop only uses energy when charging, when it's not charging it's not using any of my battery bank. A desktop would be a huge resource hog in comparison.

If you have any questions at all please ask!! I want to have a very clear sight on what I want, if it's worth it, and how to properly do it all! Thank you so much for your time and I hope to hear from you all soon!

A/C is way beyond what the 400W or your proposed 800W system can do.
Compressor fridge is fine (0.1kWh/cu-ft per day), but an absorption fridge (propane capable) running on AC power is a horrible energy hog.
Airfryer isn't too bad, but it's high power.
Starlink is pretty hungry when left running 24/7. It's going to use about 112Ah of a 12.8V LFP battery every 24 hours.

Things to drill into your brain:
  1. Inverter rating determines the maximum amount of power you can use at one time.
  2. PV power/solar conditions determine how much energy you can use per day.
  3. Battery capacity determines how long you can go between charges.
Recommend you explore the links in #1 in my signature and design a system that meets your needs or adjust your needs to a system you can afford.

Compressor fridge is fine (0.1kWh/cu-ft per day), but an absorption fridge (propane capable) running on AC power is a horrible energy hog.
Starlink is pretty hungry when left running 24/7. It's going to use about 112Ah of a 12.8V LFP battery every 24 hours.

1. Inverter rating determines the maximum amount of power you can use at one time.
Recommend you explore the links in #1 in my signature and design a system that meets your needs or adjust your needs to a system you can afford.
Ok thank you for the info! I'm not currently sure where to find the signature thing but I'm sure I'll find it.

Anyways, is there some way I can manage 1200 or even 1600w of solar on a short bus? Or would 800w of solar and 800ah of battery be fine with a generator? I planned on having a generator anyways and also planned on having an alternator charger to give myself a little extra charge here and there.

It might be doable, but it's not cheap. You'll have to get some measurements of roof space and look at 400ish watt panels which are going to be pricy.

You're going to have to map out your roof space and see what you can fit panel-wise.

Ok thank you for the info! I'm not currently sure where to find the signature thing but I'm sure I'll find it.

Anyways, is there some way I can manage 1200 or even 1600w of solar on a short bus? Or would 800w of solar and 800ah of battery be fine with a generator? I planned on having a generator anyways and also planned on having an alternator charger to give myself a little extra charge here and there.

If you're on a phone, turn it sideways. If that doesn't work:

1688273508808.png

Gotta love those diesel heaters, I've got 3 installed and a 4th one going in later this year. I've made servicing instructions if you want them.
They work remarkably well.
I have had good luck with mine.

So I've got another idea. Just for starting out. Let's take out the a/c for now. I could work up to the a/c over time. Can you explain to me a bit more on the comment you left about the fridge? The one I intend on buying is 12v, so idk if that makes a real difference or not. Also, the starlink won't be on my bus for about another year and even if it was i would definitely not run it more than 12hours per day, some days maybe only 6 hours! So that wouldn't quite reach the power usage you mentioned, but again your comment has been priceless so far, and I can't thank you enough for that!

With all of that being said I should point out another detail that I continuously keep forgetting! I will be working full time at a factory at least 40 hours a week, sometimes 45 hours and an occasional day on the weekend. So I won't need to run all of my stuff all of the time for a very long time!

Also, if you'd rather communicate a bit through PM's let me know! Whatever would be easiest of course! I began looking into your links a little bit and I think I'll try digging into them again, but there's a couple things that went a bit over my head if I'm being honest.

So I've got another idea. Just for starting out. Let's take out the a/c for now. I could work up to the a/c over time. Can you explain to me a bit more on the comment you left about the fridge? The one I intend on buying is 12v, so idk if that makes a real difference or not.

Absorption fridges are common on RVs that allow operation on 120VAC, propane and sometimes 12VDC. They work by generating heat directly. If your 12V fridge runs a compressor, you're good.

Also, the starlink won't be on my bus for about another year and even if it was i would definitely not run it more than 12hours per day, some days maybe only 6 hours! So that wouldn't quite reach the power usage you mentioned, but again your comment has been priceless so far, and I can't thank you enough for that!

Starlink does offer the option to go into standby mode at various times, which reduces the consumption substantially.

My responses hopefully encourage you to explore the links on line 1 in my signature as they derive from that approach... define everything you want to run, size equipment accordingly rather than deploying an arbitrary system and either spending too much, or have a system that doesn't meet your needs.

With all of that being said I should point out another detail that I continuously keep forgetting! I will be working full time at a factory at least 40 hours a week, sometimes 45 hours and an occasional day on the weekend. So I won't need to run all of my stuff all of the time for a very long time!

If you design for this, you may find that your system is inadequate on the weekends.

Also, if you'd rather communicate a bit through PM's let me know! Whatever would be easiest of course! I began looking into your links a little bit and I think I'll try digging into them again, but there's a couple things that went a bit over my head if I'm being honest.

Nope. that's the point of a public forum - Others might benefit from the conversation.

Last edited:
Absorption fridges are common on RVs that allow operation on 120VAC, propane and sometimes 12VDC. They work by generating heat directly. If your 12V fridge runs a compressor, you're good.

Starlink does offer the option to go into standby mode at various times, which reduces the consumption substantially.

My responses hopefully encourage you to explore the links on line 1 in my signature as they derive from that approach... define everything you want to run, size equipment accordingly rather than deploying an arbitrary system and either spending too much, or have a system that doesn't meet your needs.

If you design for this, you may find that your system is inadequate on the weekends.

Nope. that's the point of a public forum - Others might benefit from the conversation.
Ok! I used your energy audit and it was fantastic! At first I didn't understand, but I got it now. I'll have just enough power for what I need (and that's based on everything running 24/7 so I've got headroom) only things that will really run all the time are the fridge and my lights. Thank you again so much! Your links have been extremely helpful!

Glad they helped! it may not give the perfect answer, but the process helps ensure that you get really really close and learn a lot along the way.

Just to be clear, it's not mine...

@FilterGuy gets that credit.

Back