diy solar

diy solar

Dry contact relay generator start kit

JayS

I see a ton of "remote start" kits for generators. They include a choke actuator, a little control box, and wireless remotes to start the generator. I'm wondering if I could adapt one of these kits to be triggered on by the dry contact relay on my inverter (growatt 3k). I would basically need the relay to trigger the remote to send the signal to the installed remote start kit.

I thought about tearing open the remote and trying to find the push button switch contacts. I'm sure I'd have to desolder something and solder in some wires that can be activated by the dry contact.

I suspect it's more complicated than this however. For one, that would turn on the wireless signal indefinitely, not just momentarily. It would also not trigger a generator shutdown.

So what I would really need is a way to trigger the 'start' signal when the relay activates, and then send the 'stop' signal when the relay deactivates.

There are many wireless trigger systems out there.
You can easily find one that can do two simple triggers.

I see a ton of "remote start" kits for generators. They include a choke actuator, a little control box, and wireless remotes to start the generator. I'm wondering if I could adapt one of these kits to be triggered on by the dry contact relay on my inverter (growatt 3k). I would basically need the relay to trigger the remote to send the signal to the installed remote start kit.

I thought about tearing open the remote and trying to find the push button switch contacts. I'm sure I'd have to desolder something and solder in some wires that can be activated by the dry contact.

I suspect it's more complicated than this however. For one, that would turn on the wireless signal indefinitely, not just momentarily. It would also not trigger a generator shutdown.

So what I would really need is a way to trigger the 'start' signal when the relay activates, and then send the 'stop' signal when the relay deactivates.
Hi Jay, I researched something similar a while back. The most cost-effective solutions seems to be made by Deep Sea Electronics. It is programmable so you can calibrate it to work with your inverter output:

diy solar

diy solar
Back