diy solar

diy solar

Dual sol-ark 15ks with no transfer switch

gmbeihl

400 amp service with 2 200a main panels. Will be installing 2 sol-ark15s and am thinking about omitting the transfer switch(es). Will still have the (400a) grid disconnect required by the utility. I understand lack of a transfer switch makes removing an inverter from service more time consuming. Since I have 2 hopefully, the probability of both going down simultaneously is relatively small. My plan in that unlikely event (assuming grid is still up) would be to disconnect from the grid and re-route the grid feed into the load pdb after disconnecting both inverters, then reconnect and the grid should be feeding my load pdb. Many (if not most) of the sol-ark wiring diagrams in the 15k install manual omit the transfer switch...

I don't mind the extra downtime in exchange for more wall space...

Am I missing something?

I could only find one 200 amp transfer switch and it is $2,000. It wasn't in the installers plan so I am risking it. If I had asked for a change order it would have resulted in another delay and probably $3,000. I do have a standby generator that I can fire up and power critical loads. The Sol-Ark is setup for whole house.

I could only find one 200 amp transfer switch and it is $2,000. It wasn't in the installers plan so I am risking it. If I had asked for a change order it would have resulted in another delay and probably $3,000. I do have a standby generator that I can fire up and power critical loads. The Sol-Ark is setup for whole house.
200a transfer switches, without fuses, your shutoff/grid disconnect should already be fused, aren’t $2000. Do you have HD stores if your area or can you order from them?

$635 - https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-200-...ency-Power-Transfer-Switch-TC10324R/100150463

400 amp service with 2 200a main panels. Will be installing 2 sol-ark15s and am thinking about omitting the transfer switch(es). Will still have the (400a) grid disconnect required by the utility. I understand lack of a transfer switch makes removing an inverter from service more time consuming. Since I have 2 hopefully, the probability of both going down simultaneously is relatively small. My plan in that unlikely event (assuming grid is still up) would be to disconnect from the grid and re-route the grid feed into the load pdb after disconnecting both inverters, then reconnect and the grid should be feeding my load pdb. Many (if not most) of the sol-ark wiring diagrams in the 15k install manual omit the transfer switch...

I don't mind the extra downtime in exchange for more wall space...

Am I missing something?
What PDB’s did you use to share load and grid connections? I’m done with the DC side if my setup about to tackle AC with a friendly electrician.

What PDB’s did you use to share load and grid connections? I’m done with the DC side if my setup about to tackle AC with a friendly electrician.
You weren’t asking me, but I got mine here as many other sources were back ordered. These are single in with 2 out
MPDB67423FerrazShawmut MPDB Series Intermediate Aluminum Power Distribution Block, 380A, 3-pole, 1 hole line side (in) 500-#4, 2 holes load side (out) 4/0-#6

Here is a second opinion with 2 in and 4 out iirc
ADB245001 from Elecdirect.com

Back