diy solar

diy solar

Duel Quattro 10k off grid build.

Victron will extend the warranty on their gear from 5 to 10 years, for an additonal 10% of the intial investment. Any dealer should be able to do that.
Yes, Dan mentioned that, but he had never done it. It was an option, though.

Just because a vendor is not setup to collect sales taxes in every state does not mean that you are off the hook from paying them. Any purchases you make without the seller charging sales taxes are supposed to be reported / remitted by the buyer.

You can try and avoid doing that and take the risk on your own...but if I know one thing for certain it's that playing games with taxes rarely ends good.

1711489422867.png

Just because a vendor is not setup to collect sales taxes in every state does not mean that you are off the hook from paying them. Any purchases you make without the seller charging sales taxes are supposed to be reported / remitted by the buyer.

You can try and avoid doing that and take the risk on your own...but if I know one thing for certain it's that playing games with taxes rarely ends good.

View attachment 204954

Yeah, I think maybe it's because I reside in TN; I thought it was unusual. Possibly because he doesn't sell online through an e-store. Said sales tax was only for GA/SC (he's located right on the line basically) 🤷‍♂️

Similar thing with a Sawmill from Bailey's out of California, they said if you're close enough to MS or MO and you can pickup Will call there's no sales tax. So I drove 6hrs to pick it up in MS.

Oh, trust me, I wouldn't go anywhere else. I've been emailing with Jason from CC about my build. I have watched Adam's stuff as well.

I was seriously tempted to order from Dan at Trophy (He's a Victron distributor as well) with less than $100 shipping and no sales tax if shipping to NC, but they only offer a 5-year warranty. After seeing the reports on CC here, I decided it was worth a bit more to go with them.
For 10% more on the Victron Purchase price you get a 10 years warranty

Pallet of 36 Hyperion 395W Bifacial panels ordered. I won't need that many but I can sell what I don't need locally.

Pallet of 36 Hyperion 395W Bifacial panels ordered. I won't need that many but I can sell what I don't need locally.
Thinking of grabbing 10 of them can't afford full pallet or even getting to the $2k free shipping threshold.

Batteries ordered! Now for the Inverter and SCC from Current Connected. Starting to get excited now :)
Which inverter and scc did you end up ordering? Really impressive three day delivery on the Trophies.

edit nevermind, I should read the first post lol.

Wondering if a 325A fuse for the Lynx shunt will be sufficient. If you plan on pushing the dual 10k quattros to their limits. Maybe the 500A or 800A version?

Which inverter and scc did you end up ordering? Really impressive three day delivery on the Trophies.

edit nevermind, I should read the first post lol.
I think I’m going RS450/200 vs the /100 but for sure dual 10k

Wondering if a 325A fuse for the Lynx shunt will be sufficient. If you plan on pushing the dual 10k quattros to their limits. Maybe the 500A or 800A version?
Yeah I figured the 800amp fuse for the shunt and Jason from CC agreed. Those class T fuses I had to order from Amazon, CC only had 2 of the 250’s in stock. Got 6 so I’d have two spares. They sure aren’t cheap, $36 a pop (pun intended)

I think I’m going RS450/200 vs the /100 but for sure dual 10k
I'm really happy with my 450/100, had the same decision as you, was thinking just go with the big boy 450/200 but then no redundancy. So went with a 450/100 and then will get another when I need the capacity. I have a couple 150/35s I could use in an emergency but would need to break down the strings from 10 panels to 3 etc.

4 x 300Ah Trophy. Great job on the packaging.

View attachment 216255

I’m curious on what led you to choose the Trophy’s. Not judging in anyway but just want to make the right decision on my battery choice. Currently I’m leaning in the direction of ordering two indoor EG4 wall mounts but wouldn’t hesitate to change that to two Trophy’s as the price difference wouldn’t hurt the bank. I’m kinda doing the somewhat the same setup but don’t have the space for a larger solar setup and the reason that I’m going with two Victron 5k’s. However, if I had the space for a larger solar array, I would’ve chosen two 10k Quattros to run all my loads. I’m also waiting to see what Midnite Solar is coming up for their batteries. Thanks for your feedback.

I’m curious on what led you to choose the Trophy’s. Not judging in anyway but just want to make the right decision on my battery choice. Currently I’m leaning in the direction of ordering two indoor EG4 wall mounts but wouldn’t hesitate to change that to two Trophy’s as the price difference wouldn’t hurt the bank.
Well the biggest reason is the 10yr non prorated warranty and the after sales support Dan Keaton the owner has provided to others that I’ve heard about. Top notch and goes the extra mile anytime there is an issue. I have friends who have these same 300Ah batteries on a Solark 12k and a 15k setup.

The second biggest reason is they’re not Beta Boxes (Eg4). If you do choose Eg4 at least buy from Current Connected not SS.

The other reason is I wanted larger batteries to reduce the amount of wiring vs an SOK rack setup (Eg4 was not an option for me see above). With this I’m just connecting 4 batteries not 6 or 12. The weight isn’t a big deal…how often do you have to unload them? I plan to move mine once but they have rolling base for mounting vertical.

Lastly they’re self heated. Mine will be in a basement at first but then moved into a concrete battery “shelf” built into the back basement wall of a partially attached garage I’m adding. Probably won’t ever freeze but I like having that option especially since a lot of the power going into these will be coming from Hyrdro 24/7 even when it’s dark and cold and not sunny.

I'm really happy with my 450/100, had the same decision as you, was thinking just go with the big boy 450/200 but then no redundancy. So went with a 450/100 and then will get another when I need the capacity. I have a couple 150/35s I could use in an emergency but would need to break down the strings from 10 panels to 3 etc.
I just realized, I may want to go with a lower voltage SCC due to the smaller number of panels per string I will end up doing. One of which is a tracker that only holds 2 panels, with the VOC of my panels being 36.98volts and the voltage range of 80-450 on the RS 450 series....that's not going to be ideal. Currently planned: 2 on a tracker mount, 6 on the southwest side of a barn at a pretty steep almost vertical angle, 2 similar on the east side of the barn, and possibly 4 on the south end of the house. I have space to do a line of ground mount beyond where the tracker mount is going but the bottom line it is a collection of smaller 2-6 panel strings.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 9.28.25 AM.png I don't think my math is right, also seems odd that they list 42-45C as the nominal temp vs 25C. So the coldest anyone has seen around my area is -31C but I've only ever seen -26C and -23C is what we get every couple of years. So if I base it off of -26C that's 71C below nominal and you would do 71*0.304=21.584 so 36.98+21.58=58.56VOC at -26C? seems off.

diy solar

diy solar
Back