diy solar

diy solar

Duel Quattro 10k off grid build.

I just realized, I may want to go with a lower voltage SCC due to the smaller number of panels per string I will end up doing. One of which is a tracker that only holds 2 panels, with the VOC of my panels being 36.98volts and the voltage range of 80-450 on the RS 450 series....that's not going to be ideal. Currently planned: 2 on a tracker mount, 6 on the southwest side of a barn at a pretty steep almost vertical angle, 2 similar on the east side of the barn, and possibly 4 on the south end of the house. I have space to do a line of ground mount beyond where the tracker mount is going but the bottom line it is a collection of smaller 2-6 panel strings.
Yeah you could be struggling to hit 120V with three panels, 450/100-200 really only makes sense when you can do long strings and make use of the higher voltage range versus the 150 and 250V models which are much better suited for those smaller strings and different orientations.

Yeah you could be struggling to hit 120V with three panels, 450/100-200 really only makes sense when you can do long strings and make use of the higher voltage range versus the 150 and 250V models which are much better suited for those smaller strings and different orientations.
I'm thinking a RS450/100 because the 6 panel string would be around 222V, then something like a SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 for the small 2 panel strings.

I'm thinking a RS450/100 because the 6 panel string would be around 222V, then something like a SmartSolar MPPT 150/70 for the small 2 panel strings.
For the two panel strings you could drop down to multiple 150/35s, they are still good for 2000W each. Generally pricing wise there's not much difference between two 150/35s and a 150/70 plus you get independent trackers.

View attachment 216505 I don't think my math is right, also seems odd that they list 42-45C as the nominal temp vs 25C. So the coldest anyone has seen around my area is -31C but I've only ever seen -26C and -23C is what we get every couple of years. So if I base it off of -26C that's 71C below nominal and you would do 71*0.304=21.584 so 36.98+21.58=58.56VOC at -26C? seems off.

OK, this bothers me. Every other vendor I've seen, the coefficients are relative to STC at 25 degrees C.
It lets us compare vendors easily.

You may be assuming they are relative to NMOT because they list the coefficients in the same table.
I still think you should use STC for your calculations, but I cannot be sure because they don't make it explicit.

View attachment 216505 I don't think my math is right, also seems odd that they list 42-45C as the nominal temp vs 25C. So the coldest anyone has seen around my area is -31C but I've only ever seen -26C and -23C is what we get every couple of years. So if I base it off of -26C that's 71C below nominal and you would do 71*0.304=21.584 so 36.98+21.58=58.56VOC at -26C? seems off.

OK, this bothers me. Every other vendor I've seen, the coefficients are relative to STC at 25 degrees C.
It lets us compare vendors easily.

You may be assuming they are relative to NMOT because they list the coefficients in the same table.
I still think you should use STC for your calculations, but I cannot be sure because they don't make it explicit.

"Nominal" is paired with "operating". This is the anticipated module/cell temperature when in NOCT/NMOT conditions. In other words, in typical conditions, the module/cell will be at 42°C. It's important to remember that even in comfy 25°C ambient conditions, the cells will be MUCH hotter as 80% of the solar energy hitting the panel is going to heat it.

NMOT/NOCT should be used when looking for "real world" PERFORMANCE.

Voc, Vmp, Isc, Imp are all STC values @ 25°C conditions and should be used for design.

It's interrelated.

NMOT conditions are as defined: 800W/m^2, 20°C ambient, AM=1.5, 1m/s wind...

THOSE conditions result in 42°C module and 45°C cell temperatures, which produces the depressed Voc and Vmp values listed in the NMOT section.

If you apply the -.36%/°C temp coefficient to the 45°C cell temperature (+20°C above 25°C), you get the Vmp values listed (about 7.2% lower than STC):

31.45Vmp (STC) * .928 = 29.2Vmp (NMOT)

Well the biggest reason is the 10yr non prorated warranty and the after sales support Dan Keaton the owner has provided to others that I’ve heard about. Top notch and goes the extra mile anytime there is an issue. I have friends who have these same 300Ah batteries on a Solark 12k and a 15k setup.

The second biggest reason is they’re not Beta Boxes (Eg4). If you do choose Eg4 at least buy from Current Connected not SS.

The other reason is I wanted larger batteries to reduce the amount of wiring vs an SOK rack setup (Eg4 was not an option for me see above). With this I’m just connecting 4 batteries not 6 or 12. The weight isn’t a big deal…how often do you have to unload them? I plan to move mine once but they have rolling base for mounting vertical.

Lastly they’re self heated. Mine will be in a basement at first but then moved into a concrete battery “shelf” built into the back basement wall of a partially attached garage I’m adding. Probably won’t ever freeze but I like having that option especially since a lot of the power going into these will be coming from Hyrdro 24/7 even when it’s dark and cold and not sunny.
Thank you. Yeah, I went through the server rack debate too.

Good to know that it’s a ten year warranty and the support is there to stand behind the product. Support being up there on my list and the reason that I too decided that CC will be the vendor of choice.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Definitely some more food for thought for me.

Thank you. Yeah, I went through the server rack debate too.

Good to know that it’s a ten year warranty and the support is there to stand behind the product. Support being up there on my list and the reason that I too decided that CC will be the vendor of choice.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Definitely some more food for thought for me.
More importantly, it's 10yr non-prorated which is a big deal over just a 10yr warranty.

https://www.currentconnected.com/share-cart/NE2YLC Final picks I believe. I will pick up a Victron 150/35 somewhere else since CC doesn't carry that size SCC.
They have them but in a different category, not in the ve.can versions.

You've got two of those 10000s coming? What are you going to do with 280A of charging power?
How many Trophy batteries total?

This is the fun part, enjoy. Thanks for sharing. :)

You've got two of those 10000s coming? What are you going to do with 280A of charging power?
How many Trophy batteries total?

This is the fun part, enjoy. Thanks for sharing. :)
Yeah two 10000s and 4x 300Ah trophy batteries. Power for 2 off grid houses. Ultimately 1.2kw hydro and some solar. First just doing a small 6 panel array of 395w panels but will probably do 12 more eventually. Both houses have been running on 370w of hydro but with new system I plan to do more.

Yeah two 10000s and 4x 300Ah trophy batteries. Power for 2 off grid houses. Ultimately 1.2kw hydro and some solar. First just doing a small 6 panel array of 395w panels but will probably do 12 more eventually. Both houses have been running on 370w of hydro but with new system I plan to do more.
So roughly 60 kWh storage, that's great.
I like incremental upgrades as you are doing, but it will keep you perpetually busy. :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back