diy solar

diy solar

Earth Grounding

Took a bit to digest that. So in general an earth ground on an off grid application will mainly provide dissipation of static electricity. Most of the safety features in electrical systems are for low impedance shorts and they will function regardless if there is an earth ground.

When a system is massive as in the average grid there are several liabilities or negatives aspects that require an earth ground to mitigate, but none seem to carry over to off grid. It does seem that all of the cons do carry over. Earth grounding does setup half of the circuit (N/G) in a relatively large area that can have some benefit, but an equal drawback. If anything or a person completes the circuit, current will flow through it or them. I understand that the earth has a high impedance and that most likely the current would be low.

I’m not saying that everyone should run out and pull their earth grounding. It is much better to do what is specified by the manufacturers and electrical codes. I do believe that the off grid applications should be separately evaluated based on its specific needs and modern methods developed.

Why do you think that off-grid systems haven't been evaluated properly? Do you think that Timselectric hasn't seen one before? What is so different about the electrons in your off grid system that it requires different laws of physics to deal with them? You haven't rebutted any of the arguments for grounding your system, yet you still believe it's ok to let one piece of bad insulation make a tragedy happen.

That is the point physics has not changed, but the application has. I have described it the best that I can. The needs are different. I’m talking about a very specific application, which is small off grid systems. In order to understand my point you have to study grid systems and the benefits for that arrangement. Then evaluate offgrid and and most of the benefits don’t carry over. What most don’t want to except is the less desirable issues from earth grounds. Safety and power cleanliness etc.

I'll try one more time.
Electrical safety is no different in any case.
Off grid is no different than on grid.
You are not physically connected to the entire grid, ever. The service drop to your home is connected to a utility transformer. This creates a separately derived system for you and maybe the next door neighbors (if your neighbors are right next door). With this newly created Electrical system. Safety is the most important part. Which means that you need to create a grounding system. So whether your Electrical system starts at a meter on the outside of your house. Or on the inside of your van. I would recommend that you don't cut any corners, when it comes to safety.
But as always, you are welcome to do whatever you wish.
Please be safe, and good luck.

You are not physically connected to the entire grid, ever. The service drop to your home is connected to a utility transformer. This creates a separately derived system for you and maybe the next door neighbors (if your neighbors are right next door).
Good point. You are connected to grid via electrically isolated magnetic coupling inside the stepdown transformer.

I'm not sure about the transformer forming complete isolation. The function is such that more in results in more out. What if the ground from the transformer is continuous to the actual grid? What I'm questioning is not going to affect the low impedance side of the safety equipment which is probably responsible for 99+% of the safety.

Back