diy solar

diy solar

Earth grounding

You may want to re-evaluate where you get advice.
(I noticed Tim laughing at this post !)

The PV frames need to be grounded - connect electrically to a grounding conductor tied to the system earth-ground system. This is not just a code requirement, it is common safety practice and if you don't tie the frames to ground, you could yourself become the conductor doing work on your system. Ground the frames.

The PV attached to treated wood is also a bad idea generally, most wood preservatives will react with aluminum, especially in the presence of moisture. If you must use wood, then an isolation layer should be installed between the wood and the alum frames, such as peel-and-stick. I wouldn't recommend wood attached directly to the metal roofing either btw.

It may not be the humor section. Life just happens this way sometimes.

I would have given this install a correction notice to ground the panels and the metal roof to the panel ground.

Always used the https://www.s-5.com/ hardware to accomplish this.

Many PV systems need both the Pos and Neg independant of ground, ie don't ground the Neg. But that is nothing to do with grounding the aluminum PV frames so they are the same potential as earth. This way when you stand on an aluminum ladder on the wet grass, and reach over to touch the PV frame do to some work on it, you don't become the EG conductor...

Not humor

Any metallic conductive material left ungrounded can develop a charge (potential) just from the atmosphere - which is why a lightning rod is connected to earth -to disapate the charge before it builds up.

So we are earth grounding solar panels that has no power going to them but were not earth grounding your inverter inside the house???? Im not trying to be humorous with this. I'm being serious. I'm fairly new.

So we are earth grounding solar panels that has no power going to them but were not earth grounding your inverter inside the house???? Im not trying to be humorous with this. I'm being serious. I'm fairly new.
All metal surfaces you can touch should be "grounded", meaning that there is an Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) from the main panel, to every metal device, including the inverter case (there should be a grounding screw), and the PV panel frames and mounting.

Ground rods (more accurately called earthing rods) need to be installed near the main panel per NEC, and bonded to the EGC.
The entire grounding system is there to protect human life. The actual "earthing" part is only a small part of it.

Most batteries in houses DO NOT ground the negative terminal, because houses are not vehicles.

Back