diy solar

diy solar

Easy Small cabin Question: inverter

Preach it brother 12Volts!! There's no reason someone couldn't do a 1500w 12v size unit or even 3Kw-ish unit other than lack of demand.
Victron has one. Ish.

But if MPP had a 3000W !!
I have a 1012LV-MK that honestly has been awesome for me- except the measly 1000W inverter won’t start my vacuum cleaner without shutting down. The 1200W Giandel will, however; but it does have soft-start circuitry.

The 2724 is super handy, with the outlets & MC4 connections right on the unit, too bad they didn't copy this design in a "2712" arrangement; if they did it would likely sell.

Nope, hard wire only on the 1012LV unfortunately.
Not really a problem. You can either use the acclaimed Will Prowse Tribute Edition extension cord or what I prefer: hardwire to the breaker box. The current QZRELB 2000W has two outlets but it’s hardwired.

An advantage to the WPTE method is one can use multiple power sources without a transfer switch since you can merely unplug one device and plug something else in (if you wire stuff appropriately to respect N-G bonding).
They have a 1012 (only 1000W) I don't believe this unit has the outlets built right on it like the 2724 does. (you would have to check to confirm)
I have one. I can confirm no outlets.

Currently in place but only as an SCC and the 60A charger if I need it from grid or generator. Need to fix a generator up…before ‘the dark months’ lol
The 2724 is super handy, with the outlets & MC4 connections right on the unit, too bad they didn't copy this design in a "2712" arrangement; if they did it would likely sell.
I personally would not want to use MC4’s on the unit. I’m sure they could be removed but I’m not sure how they terminate inside. In a mobile temporary or some ‘small’ applications that probably is helpful to some folks.

I really don’t want to nor need to step up to 24V. In fact, in my situation 24V doesn’t even make sense: if I need to exceed 12V batteries and lose the direct advantages of my 12V devices and lighting then 48V is logically a much better solution. But that’s my circumstances- others may have different requirements.

I agree that a 2712 would probably sell fairly well. Even better if it had a native split phase version rather than merely ganging two units. Although gangability is a great way to scale up for folks looking to power a low/mid demand cabin or off-grid home.
I might be wrong but I think MPP does offer a 24V version around 3000W (5000?) with a low frequency inverter which I can see as a very attractive off-grid option for a lot of folks. I’m not against 24V, but my ‘home’ is a highly remodeled 25’ “stationary” RV optimized for off-grid and low cost living. I use all 12V lighting, water pump, etc. so 24V is both a disadvantage and not needed.
Nevertheless, a 5000W, preferred low frequency AIO will likely be what I scale up to when I build the shop structure. But as a second system.

Last edited:
Back