diy solar

diy solar

Eco-Inverter

Dennis 1

Has anybody had experience with the "Renogy 1000w 12v pure sine wave inverter with power saving mode" I was looking for an inverter that will not use a lot of power when not in use. Any input would be appreciated before spending money.

Hi, yes, I have this inverter, the PGH1. Its a decent 'smart' inverter. When its on Eco mode, its consumes less than 4 watts, but i get a lot of faults with Eco mode, when I plug stuff in while in Eco mode. It should turn on when it detects a 50 W or more load, but it just seems to fault for me. It works perfectly when in Normal mode. I'm currently talking to tech support about the Eco mode issue.

I'll have to do more troubleshooting myself, as my loads are connected to the inverter by a power bar that has surge protection with an on/off switch. Not sure if this could be causing the eco faults, but, how else do you use a inverter if not with a surge protected power bar?

Last edited:
Hmmm... i have a renogy regular model (2kw) but the standby current is a little high. Victron inverters have very low standby (1-3 watts) and are very high quality, but fairly expensive. I just tested a generic 2kw chinese inverter, it draws 1.4A at standby which is... a lot. @SolarShed, what kinds of loads are you trying to power? I would expect something like a lightbulb or fan to be reliable, but maybe electronics that don't present the full load to the inverter immediately could fool it.

Thanks, I have decided on the Victron 1200va Pure Sinewave Inverter I needed an inverter that will be on 24/7 running a pump motor for my boiler heat and hot water. The inverter is 2000w and uses 60w when nothing is running the Victron uses 1w when in eco mode. It should be here any time. So thanks again

@Poverty Pony that's a good point about load compatibility. I was using a battery charger for my DeWalt power tools. I should try a light bulb (the old incandescent ones, not low power ones), because the load has to be more than 50 W to trigger normal mode from Eco mode.

@Dennis 1 is that Victron inverter a 24 V inverter? I only ask because the Renogy you were asking about is a 12V

No, it's a 12v inverter right now I want to stay at 12v down the road I may look into 24v

Back