diy solar

diy solar

EcoFlow Delta Max 2000 Automobile Charge

Travel Ken

From one of Will’s YouTube videos from three years ago I noticed an interesting, possibly more powerful way to automobile charge an EcoFlow power station.

I recently bought an EcoFlow Delta Max 2000, that I plan to use in my travel trailer. I want to recharge this unit via a alternate DC input from my high capacity truck alternator, but the Ecoflow OEM supplied automobile charger, will only produce a dismal 96 watts (12vdc@8 amps). I’m wanting to increase that charging rate. In the aforementioned video I see an adjustable bench top power supply used to mimic a higher DC voltage solar input. In this video he set this bench top adjustable power supply to 30 volts @ 5 amps and achieved 136 watts of charging. Note: this EcoFlow unit only has a single DC charging input, (XT60) used for either “automobile” charge or “solar” charge. The user manual for my EcoFlow states “Solar Charger—— 11-100V 10A, 800W max”. Question, could one recommend using an external fixed, 12vdc to 48vdc, 10 amp step up converter to achieve my desired higher charging rate (480 watts)? If so, what step up converter would be recommended?

Video referenced:

“Ecoflow Delta Review: Pros and Cons/ Capacity Test/ Technical Discussion and More”

As far as a step up transformer a quick search on Amazon for a "12v to 48v dc step up converter" gave me this option that seems pretty good. Remember you can and should choice something with a higher amp output so it is not working at 100% all the time. The required amps are pulled by the Ecoflow not pushed. Two other options for you

1. To use an XT60i connector and with the third pin connected to ground and you will pull 12v x 10amps. See https://diysolarforum.com/threads/ecoflow-delta-pro-charging-from-a-switching-power-supply.43369/. The same principle will apply as the Delta Pro, but your voltage and amperage limits are different.
  2. Purchase an 120v AC inverter for your truck and it will be a lot more multi purpose than just charging your Ecoflow. I personally have a 1200 watt pure sine wave inverter that serves many purposes. I can use it to charge my Ecoflow with about 1000 watts continuous as long as the vehicle is running.

Thanks for your comment, and the link to this post string. Both have given me valuable insight.
Thanks again

Yes, the Ecoflow Max is 800w max, and for 3weeks we've had 2400w of panels hooked to it. It DOES cap off at 800w from our solar & this has LOADS of benefits....

However:
During our research a good number mentioned panels don't "push" current, but batteries do. I do NOT know one way or the other & never found someone who had tested such.
So good luck on your project & please report back you findings (videos are always good incase the magic smoke makes a showing).

Reactions: Tym
During our research a good number mentioned panels don't "push" current, but batteries do. I do NOT know one way or the other & never found someone who had tested such.
I remember you posting this in another discussion and I didn't understand what you were meaning by this. However I am not an electrical engineer.

To my understanding, if I take a 12 volt light bulb and connect it to a car battery with 600 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) the light bulb will only pull 1 amp (or whatever it is rated for). The battery will not push the 600 potential amps into the bulb and explode it. The same goes for a solar panel, I believe. If I connect the lamp to a 12 volt solar panel in the sun, the same bulb will still only pull 1 amp, even if the solar panel can put out 8 amps.

Granted most batteries have more potential amperage wise than a solar panel. That can be seen during a short circuit.

But I am not sure what you mean by batteries pushing current can you explain?

I have charged my Ecoflow Delta Pro by connecting a 12 volt battery directly to the DC port. The Ecoflow pulled 8 amps with a standard DC input and ~15 amps with a modified XT60i and the proper wiring to handle the amperage. The battery didn't push any extra beyond what the Ecoflow could handle.

I remember you posting this in another discussion and I didn't understand what you were meaning by this. However I am not an electrical engineer.

To my understanding, if I take a 12 volt light bulb and connect it to a car battery with 600 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) the light bulb will only pull 1 amp (or whatever it is rated for). The battery will not push the 600 potential amps into the bulb and explode it. The same goes for a solar panel, I believe. If I connect the lamp to a 12 volt solar panel in the sun, the same bulb will still only pull 1 amp, even if the solar panel can put out 8 amps.

Granted most batteries have more potential amperage wise than a solar panel. That can be seen during a short circuit.

But I am not sure what you mean by batteries pushing current can you explain?

I have charged my Ecoflow Delta Pro by connecting a 12 volt battery directly to the DC port. The Ecoflow pulled 8 amps with a standard DC input and ~15 amps with a modified XT60i and the proper wiring to handle the amperage. The battery didn't push any extra beyond what the Ecoflow could handle.
I can't explain as I've not gone down the "battery pushing current" rabbit hole. I do agree with you, but as I'm not anywhere near the smartest guy here, and I have little experience with such batteries.... I just tossed it out there to ya, what if they're right or right on part of it? Good luck ;)

The XT60i car cable is wired to limit to 8 amps. Use existing or buy another solar cable to get the max input.

Last edited:
Back